OT: OT-what he doesn’t know is this is a buck and a quarter quarter staff

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
@Mattilaus would be your best bet as he lives really north.

If any of you Northerners are able to see the Northern Lights then please snap some pics

Still too early in the season for us unfortunately. Still doesn't get dark till 11 or so and even then, you can still see the the suns glow on the horizon. Won't be long now but doesn't get dark enough to see aurora till at least the end of August. We currently lose about 6 minutes of daylight per day.

Reactions: SwordsgoneWild

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Crazy how fast they grow up.

How soon to her first game?
Try number 3. Her first games are the first weekend of October against Delaware. Games against Maryville, Rowan, Niagara, West Virginia, Mercyhurst, Villanova, Pitt, Navy, Maryland, Penn, UVA, Lawrence Tech (?), a DVCHC showcase, and in-season ACHA tournament, and then the DVCHC playoffs and ACHA playoffs in March. 19 games and then the showcase and two tournaments. 30 games ish?

Reactions: Chainshot

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Nate is getting ready to head back for his junior year of college by getting my dad to buy him a firepit for his off campus apartment. He is taking a solo trip on Thursday and then going with his mom and her dad for the full move in on Friday. His big hope is that his roommates that are moving in on Thursday are not passed out drunk in the apartment when he shows up with his mom and grandpa.

Also, some of his new teammates need to learn which groupchat has the coaches and which one is players only. Last week guys starting posting in the coach-included groupchat about how they were excited to get back and starting to plan out the pre-fall ball captain's lifts and pickup games.

One of the new guys replied, "I'm so horny." Nate informed me that would be mild for the players-only groupchat, but not so much for the coaches-included one.

:laugh:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Combine your two kids and you get my son. ADHD combined with arguing about everything he can because he doesn't have to listen to anyone. Its a real challenge. He's 10.

Two nights ago we had a bad evening. He had a meltdown because it was family movie night and he didn't get one because his big sister was out. So we played some games of Mario Kart as a family. Then it was bedtime. He spent the next 45 minutes doing everything but, actively defying us and looking for any reason not to do abything related to bed. My wife finally convinced him to go downstairs to brush his teeth but as he got up she finished her sentence "with daddy" and then he was like "I'm not going with him" (because if I went, he'd actually have to do what he was asked to do and not go play in his room) and tried to walk past me back to the couch. For the first time in months I did what I hate doing. I physically walked him down to the bathroom, pulling hands off doorframe and furniture along the wag and being screamed at the whole time I was hurting him. To be clear, I wasn't hurting him, apart from maybe when he tried to throw himself on the ground and I mightve tripped on his foot. He then worked his way through abusing me with every horrible word he knows and proceeded to lament that everyone in the house hates him and we are all so mean to him all the time, nobody loves him. This was the third night in a row of this and the first where I lost patience and manhandled him to what needed to happen. I feel like absolute shit afterwards because when it gets to that. I feel I've failed.

Kids are fun.

Oppositional defiant?

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Welp. Officially moved in with my mom. I'm expecting to find a townhome in the next couple of months. It's weird being back home. I won't be able to stay there long. I'm not used to having an annoying (but cute) dog around, and living with parents at the age of 36 is just hard because I need my independence. It's hard dropping off the little guy, though=(

I'm just grateful my (ex?) wife and I are still getting along so well. She's totally cool with me coming over today (her day) to play with him. I'm also fine with her coming over on my days. We both want to have some family moments even outside birthdays and holidays. I'm not sure if that will make it harder to get over her, but I think it'll be good for my son to witness and also be able to see both his mom and dad more often than our 50/50 schedule allows. I also think it's good for him to see us get along. I just wish I could've shown him how to love a woman by showing more love to his mom.

As of right now, we're going with 50/50 with the little guy. Also, she's going to pay me $500 in child support once I get my own place even before we get the courts involved.

Some tears have been shed over the past few days, but I find myself comforting others more because they're all worried about me. I don't express my emotions a lot, so they're afraid I'm suppressing things. I allow myself to work through my emotions surrounding the situation daily. It only adds more stress when I have to talk to people about it and hear the same responses- "I don't understand how this happened" "Well, don't make any decisions too quickly- you may get back together" "I'm worried about you. You need to do counseling." etc...

Combine your two kids and you get my son. ADHD combined with arguing about everything he can because he doesn't have to listen to anyone. Its a real challenge. He's 10.

Two nights ago we had a bad evening. He had a meltdown because it was family movie night and he didn't get one because his big sister was out. So we played some games of Mario Kart as a family. Then it was bedtime. He spent the next 45 minutes doing everything but, actively defying us and looking for any reason not to do abything related to bed. My wife finally convinced him to go downstairs to brush his teeth but as he got up she finished her sentence "with daddy" and then he was like "I'm not going with him" (because if I went, he'd actually have to do what he was asked to do and not go play in his room) and tried to walk past me back to the couch. For the first time in months I did what I hate doing. I physically walked him down to the bathroom, pulling hands off doorframe and furniture along the wag and being screamed at the whole time I was hurting him. To be clear, I wasn't hurting him, apart from maybe when he tried to throw himself on the ground and I mightve tripped on his foot. He then worked his way through abusing me with every horrible word he knows and proceeded to lament that everyone in the house hates him and we are all so mean to him all the time, nobody loves him. This was the third night in a row of this and the first where I lost patience and manhandled him to what needed to happen. I feel like absolute shit afterwards because when it gets to that. I feel I've failed.

Kids are fun.
Man, sorry to read this. It must torture your soul to hear your little guy say cruel things to you and the family. Kids can be menaces, though.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Welp. Officially moved in with my mom. I'm expecting to find a townhome in the next couple of months. It's weird being back home. I won't be able to stay there long. I'm not used to having an annoying (but cute) dog around, and living with parents at the age of 36 is just hard because I need my independence. It's hard dropping off the little guy, though=(

I'm just grateful my (ex?) wife and I are still getting along so well. She's totally cool with me coming over today (her day) to play with him. I'm also fine with her coming over on my days. We both want to have some family moments even outside birthdays and holidays. I'm not sure if that will make it harder to get over her, but I think it'll be good for my son to witness and also be able to see both his mom and dad more often than our 50/50 schedule allows. I also think it's good for him to see us get along. I just wish I could've shown him how to love a woman by showing more love to his mom.

As of right now, we're going with 50/50 with the little guy. Also, she's going to pay me $500 in child support once I get my own place even before we get the courts involved.

Some tears have been shed over the past few days, but I find myself comforting others more because they're all worried about me. I don't express my emotions a lot, so they're afraid I'm suppressing things. I allow myself to work through my emotions surrounding the situation daily. It only adds more stress when I have to talk to people about it and hear the same responses- "I don't understand how this happened" "Well, don't make any decisions too quickly- you may get back together" "I'm worried about you. You need to do counseling." etc...
Sounds like you are doing this the best way you can.

I had an interesting day with moving my youngest into her dorm. Her mother was there with her husband, driving the lass down to the school and I brought the other car with my son (and the rest of the lass's stuff). We spent almost nine hours around one another and it was almost cordial. I spent over an hour with the ex's husband and we talked about some broader topics (state issue with home insurance agencies GTFO of Florida as a sign of coming issues in the housing market and just weather in general for one). And then at dinner I made a comment to my ex (she was sitting next to me) about "hey, younger spawn mentioned" an event involving my former f-i-l that led me to compliment my ex on her commitment to him even when he's an ungrateful jackass. That brought on the water works for the ex, but it was sort of cathartic for her. We even talked yesterday too. Weird.
Man, sorry to read this. It must torture your soul to hear your little guy say cruel things to you and the family. Kids can be menaces, though.

Yeah, that's tough. I know some people have kids who have those sort of outbursts and I don't know how I would handle it.

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
They are both going to be a huge handful when they are older. My son especially. He's probably going to be 6'4'' 6'5'' (Wife has tall people in her family and he's been consistently in the 99th percentile height wise). He has much worse blowups that my daughter, especially when his medicines send him in a tizzy. I'm just hoping he'll have enough coping mechanisms to get by that tough part of life by then.
I hear you on the medicine. What are you using? Methylphenidate HCL? Chlonidine HCL? We are doing both at very low doses. The Chlonidine has been great for helping him sleep, but if we time it wrong i think it contributes to these massive bedtime meltdowns. We've only just started the Methylphenidate and it seems to help a bit with school time and focusing. I'm 6'2" and it wouldn't surprise me if my son reaches or passes me for height. He'll obviously mature between now and then so I hope some of those stuff is more manageable before his size makes him less manageable.

Oppositional defiant?
Quite possible. I do hear they go together. From the moment he could talk, he has argued against me in particular.
The swearing/cursing at me actually doesnt bother me at all. Strangely it is a lighter moment for me as I internally chuckle at watching him frantically trying to think of the "best" of his known list of words. Im sure it'll be worse when he works out there are things you can say that hurt much worse than those words. It's the victim mentality I find hard to deal with. We can simply and assertively ask him to do things, if he doesn't want to then it devolves into how horrible we are to him. Nothing is his fault. It's everyone else.

As for what's going on in your life ... it sounds like you are handling things admirable TBH and you definitely aren't alone in hiding emotions or love. I won't give any advice, it'd be shit and you sound like you are getting enough but I 100% support to the attitude you seem to be bringing to it all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dubi Doo

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
My son is a lot more compliant (when his medicine for ADHD is working) and also very smart. He is probably going to be more of a 'destroy the room' kind of kid. His obsession with water will probably lead to at least one flooded sink in that school (he needs to make a whirlpool, he tells me).

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
IMG_1492.jpeg

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
So, the kids had a big bean bag at my house and their mom's house. Nate wanted to take one to his apartment at college this year. He decided to take the one from my house and Myles gets the one at their mom's house.

Wrestling that thing out of the house and into the back of Nate's grandpa's F-150 was a workout.

Screenshot 2024-08-22 140443.png

And Nate is worried about one of his roommates stealing his new Crocs. [He got them for the laughs despite the fact that he doesn't like to drink beer]

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Buffalo is the most foul-mouthed city in New York, yes beating out NYC. I feel like it's probably mostly because watching the Sabres play :laugh:

"More shocking: New York City didn’t even rank in the top 50 most swear-happy cities coming in at 54th. Buffalo, of all dumbass places, landed at No. 23 on that list, making it the most foul-mouthed town in the Empire State."

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Buffalo is the most foul-mouthed city in New York, yes beating out NYC. I feel like it's probably mostly because watching the Sabres play :laugh:

"More shocking: New York City didn’t even rank in the top 50 most swear-happy cities coming in at 54th. Buffalo, of all dumbass places, landed at No. 23 on that list, making it the most foul-mouthed town in the Empire State."

f***ing right.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm sure the family of the 8 year old girl is content just knowing the killer can't drive until she's 84. Weird stuff across the pond

Reminds me of when James Corsanti was cleared after he killed Alexandria Rice. (Also, the London mentioned is the one in Ontario.)

Reactions: Der Jaeger

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Can someone explain to me the amount of bathrooms in american homes?
It's almost a 1:1 ratio if bedrooms and bathrooms.
Does everyone have ibs?

I get needing multiple showers and an extra toilet but as someone that hates en suite bathrooms in homes I don't really get why it has to be that many.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Can someone explain to me the amount of bathrooms in american homes?
It's almost a 1:1 ratio if bedrooms and bathrooms.
Does everyone have ibs?

I get needing multiple showers and an extra toilet but as someone that hates en suite bathrooms in homes I don't really get why it has to be that many.
It doesn't but became much more popular from the 90s. Most people want the majority of rooms to be en suite, with maybe a Jack and Jill. They also want at least a 1/2 bath for guests

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
It doesn't but became much more popular from the 90s. Most people want the majority of rooms to be en suite, with maybe a Jack and Jill. They also want at least a 1/2 bath for guests
I hate the noise that comes with bathrooms and kitchen so my own plan is to have all the wet rooms in one end of the house. It sucks to wake up from my gf showering or using the toilet.

I understand that when getting really old it's nice to not have to go for a long walk in the middle of the night though.

I have a lot of bad experience with piping and aggressive water (despite filters) so maybe that adds to my negative image of multiple bath rooms.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
I hate the noise that comes with bathrooms and kitchen so my own plan is to have all the wet rooms in one end of the house. It sucks to wake up from my gf showering or using the toilet.

I understand that when getting really old it's nice to not have to go for a long walk in the middle of the night though.

I have a lot of bad experience with piping and aggressive water (despite filters) so maybe that adds to my negative image of multiple bath rooms.
Also the rise of the McMansions with house sizes increasing spurred on the bathroom trend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad