OT: Boston Accents in movies

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I always thought that movie proved two things: Casey Affleck is a much better actor than his brother, and his brother is a much better director than he is an actor. Though I have to admit Ben has gotten better at acting lately.

Not counting Batman v. Superman? I know he wasn't the biggest problem in the film, but nothing was good about it

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Not counting Batman v. Superman? I know he wasn't the biggest problem in the film, but nothing was good about it

That film was an abomination, Olivier and Brando in their prime couldn't have saved it. I'm talking Argo and Gone Girl. Granted neither was a stretch, but I thought he was good.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
That film was an abomination, Olivier and Brando in their prime couldn't have saved it. I'm talking Argo and Gone Girl. Granted neither was a stretch, but I thought he was good.

It's not like he's ever going to be a great Shakespearean thespian, but a lot of the negative backlash for the guy stems from his overexposure when he was dating J-Lo. Before that, he was pretty decent, even if limited, in Dazed and Confused and the Kevin Smith movies he did. It wasn't until he was literally everywhere (after Goodwill Hunting) that people got sick of his face and critical of his acting chops because he was on every magazine cover and on every tabloid tv show like Entertainment Tonight.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
It's not like he's ever going to be a great Shakespearean thespian, but a lot of the negative backlash for the guy stems from his overexposure when he was dating J-Lo. Before that, he was pretty decent, even if limited, in Dazed and Confused and the Kevin Smith movies he did. It wasn't until he was literally everywhere (after Goodwill Hunting) that people got sick of his face and critical of his acting chops because he was on every magazine cover and on every tabloid tv show like Entertainment Tonight.

I loved Chasing Amy. He and Damon were hysterical in J&SB Strike Back ("Lion Face / Lemon Face") and I thought he played the part well in Good Will Hunting. But he was awful in Pearl Harbor, and worse in Gigli; but those were awful movies. He's definitely gotten better with better material like Argo and Gone Girl. Matter of fact, his performance in Batman v Superman, even given some of the worst material ever written, was the only reason I didn't bleach my eyes to get rid of any vestigial remnants of that horror.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012

Saw a new trailer for The Accountant yesterday and I have to say, I'm intrigued.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I loved Chasing Amy. He and Damon were hysterical in J&SB Strike Back ("Lion Face / Lemon Face") and I thought he played the part well in Good Will Hunting. But he was awful in Pearl Harbor, and worse in Gigli; but those were awful movies. He's definitely gotten better with better material like Argo and Gone Girl. Matter of fact, his performance in Batman v Superman, even given some of the worst material ever written, was the only reason I didn't bleach my eyes to get rid of any vestigial remnants of that horror.

Chasing Amy was a vastly underrated movie, IMO. I thought it was a little heavy handed and preachy at times, but well done for the most part. J&SBSB was a classic. I was a huge fan of Clerks and Mall Rats, so it was right up my alley. All the references to the other movies were tremendous. I dug Argo, despite the factual inaccuracies, and Gone Girl was twisted. I thought Afleck was really good in both.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Thanks,he sounds like Charles Emerson Winchester the 3rd!

:biglaugh:

Winchester at his finest.

The other actor in this clip was noticed by the producers of a sitcom they were developing about the regulars of a bar in Boston.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
:biglaugh:

Winchester at his finest.

The other actor in this clip was noticed by the producers of a sitcom they were developing about the regulars of a bar in Boston.

Lenny Clarke auditioned for the role of Norm and he has stated he was turned down because they didn't like his accent.

How's that for irony.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
The Perfect Storm.

Bleh. The Gloucester accents were horrific. Read that Clooney refused to speak with an accent, felt his performance would be measured on that alone.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Chasing Amy was a vastly underrated movie, IMO. I thought it was a little heavy handed and preachy at times, but well done for the most part. J&SBSB was a classic. I was a huge fan of Clerks and Mall Rats, so it was right up my alley. All the references to the other movies were tremendous. I dug Argo, despite the factual inaccuracies, and Gone Girl was twisted. I thought Afleck was really good in both.

Chasing Amy has a couple of fantastic scenes early in the movie, but ultimately is my least favorite of the Kevin Smith movie. I find most of the romance to be unwatchable

J&SB was probably my favorite. The whole scene describing a 10-82 with Affleck and Damon is the best part

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
They're all bad. Without fail. The worst movie for the bad Boston accents on display was Mystic River. Literally unwatchable. The Departed was also very very bad. Even the local guys who were in it sucked for some reason.

Was looking to see if anyone posted this. Didn't have to go far.

They should have cut Kevin Bacon's character out of the movie entirely. That's how nail scratchingly fake and awful that accent was.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Yeah, that's what makes the accent so hard to do. It's not just dropping off R's in an exaggerated way. Certain words are pronounced differently, and sometimes R's are added into words. Like lawr enforcement.

Also, was the kid who played OC in Miracle from Boston?

That's Mike Mantenuto. He's from Franklin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad