OT: Boston Accents in movies

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Was looking to see if anyone posted this. Didn't have to go far.

They should have cut Kevin Bacon's character out of the movie entirely. That's how nail scratchingly fake and awful that accent was.

Yep. And I was really excited to see that movie since I loved the book. Boy was I wrong...:laugh:

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Yeah thats her. Ill probably get bashed for this but does anyone find similarities between the strong New York accent and the Boston?

No. And not even because Bostkn vs New York and blah blah blah. They are very different.

But to an Australian, I guess I can see the connection.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Mystic River and Costner in Thirteen Days are the two that stand out the most to me as terrible. I watched Mystic River with my wife, so I endured through it; but still have never finished Thirteen Days because I find it so annoying.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I challenge you to a duel! haha I'll die before I let that nonsense stand :naughty:

Actually, it all depends on which "accent" (or affectation) you are talking about. New York has about 7 (Brooklyn, Queens, Lower East Side, Long Island, Jersey, Upper East Side/"Mid-Atlantic Elite", etc.).

Concentrating on the "Mid-Atlantic Elite" affectation, it most definitely has origins in the Boston Brahmin accent. Basically, the "dropping 'r' accent (non-rhotic) was an affectation learned in the speech courses of elite of New England preparatory schools. It was purposefully taught to students to make them sound erudite and superior. Think the clenched jawed snootiness of Franklin Roosevelt (educated at Groton) or the parody of the accent by Jim Backus doing Thurston Howell III. This is also how the Kennedys went from sons of a bootlegger to sounding like a poor imitation of an old money, descended from the Mayflower/Arbella WASP from Beacon Hill. So while the descendent accents are very different (and influenced by many different other factors) the original affectation was the same (sort of like a British accent is the base for Australian/New Zealand ;)).

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Worst Boston accent I heard in a movie was Jeff Bridges in "Blown Away" (1994). Filmed in the North End and other Boston neighborhoods, the phony accent from Bridges was too much of a distraction. Maybe the film appealed to non Bostonians.

I liked "Good Will Hunting" with Matt Damon. But do did many others that it scored so high in the Oscars.

As for the "Meffa" vs "Medfid" phenomena, I find Bostonians of Italian descent use the former term, whereas Irish Bostonians use the latter.

Also, it seems that native Bostonians who migrated to the South Shore kept the accent, whereas those who moved North didn't.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Also, it seems that native Bostonians who migrated to the South Shore kept the accent, whereas those who moved North didn't.

I find this too. Though others disagree (someone said the South Shore is more RI than Boston), in my experience the South Shore is much more akin to the accents of Dorchester and Southie than Revere north is to the rest of Boston. My dad was raised in Roxbury, and though my accent is not what it was due to living all over the East coast, my speech is still much more influenced by him than anything coming from Rhode Island (or even my CT born mom). OMMV.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Worst Boston accent I heard in a movie was Jeff Bridges in "Blown Away" (1994). Filmed in the North End and other Boston neighborhoods, the phony accent from Bridges was too much of a distraction. Maybe the film appealed to non Bostonians.

I liked "Good Will Hunting" with Matt Damon. But do did many others that it scored so high in the Oscars.

As for the "Meffa" vs "Medfid" phenomena, I find Bostonians of Italian descent use the former term, whereas Irish Bostonians use the latter.

Don't know if that's true are not. I think the accent may soften once you move out of a Boston neighborhood no matter where you go. My neighborhood in Pembroke has several people from Southie, Dorchester,Hyde Park,JP etc and the accents don't seem as severe as when I go back to JP to one of the bars and hear my pals talk.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

The South Shore is influenced by by the Southie, Dorchester, Quincy accent which many consider the real Boston accent. Charlestown, Medford, Malden and Revere have their own distinct version.

What is universal is Bostonians tend to talk faster than others.

Bmf316nhl

But there's no dog
Jul 8, 2007
3 miles south of MA.
South Shore sounds closer to RI than Boston accent-wise. And RI accents are the worst. It's like they took the bad parts of a Boston accent and smashed it together with the bad parts of a NY accent. Just insufferable. :laugh:

I think you're confusing the South Shore with the South Coast. I'm from the South Shore, but moved to RI, and I sound nothing like these people. However, I have noticed people from the South Coast (Fall River, Somerset, Swansea area) do have a heavy RI-Like accent.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I think you're confusing the South Shore with the South Coast. I'm from the South Shore, but moved to RI, and I sound nothing like these people. However, I have noticed people from the South Coast (Fall River, Somerset, Swansea area) do have a heavy RI-Like accent.

That is correct. I crossed those locations up when I was posting it originally. The Swansea accent is what I was talking about being similar to RI.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad