Oshawa Generals 2024-25 Season Thread, Part 1

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
I agree with you on hit in the first I thought it was a major but the 2+5+10 made sense (because it’s the OHL) I also agree with the Danford play solid hit. As for the high stick maybe he bites his own lip but he was going crazy showing the refs the blood pretty quickly after it happened so I’m surprised they had to have a conversation first. I saw calls both ways that seemed pretty obvious from the stands that were missed including what looked like a holding the stick penalty that led to the first Gens goal
Even the holding/diving call on Sennecke and Dog player. That was so soft on both parts, most refs probably don't call that at all.

I'm also curious how if a player gets called for diving, how can it also be a penalty. That's always been a weird one to me

Reactions: three dog night

dogs777

Aug 13, 2024
Even the holding/diving call on Sennecke and Dog player. That was so soft on both parts, most refs probably don't call that at all.

I'm also curious how if a player gets called for diving, how can it also be a penalty. That's always been a weird one to me
Agree I thought that was a nothing play but I’ll be honest refs have made some highly questionable calls against Niagara all year so far so to see some of them going the other way tonight was kinda nice

Reactions: three dog night

yessir29292

Dec 11, 2021
Almost 20 year old NHL FRP cannot make that turnover, absolutely pathetic. Rough start for Barlow, he’s gonna heat fast and soon. Been a dominant player since he entered the league.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Almost 20 year old NHL FRP cannot make that turnover, absolutely pathetic. Rough start for Barlow, he’s gonna heat fast and soon. Been a dominant player since he entered the league.

Yeah, IMO Barlow is a good player, no doubt. But, I think he falls in the category of better NHL Prospect than OHL player. The league sees a lot of players that are great NHL prospects. They have the right size and many of the right attributes that make a potential impactful hockey player in the NHL “in time.”

Unfortunately, that doesn’t necessarily mean they have developed in a way that makes them super elite right now in the OHL. There are a handful of players in the OHL right now that are far more impactful and have demonstrated as such over their career.

So, when I say Colby Barlow is overrated, I don’t mean as an NHL prospect. I mean as an OHL player. He has scored 40 goals twice which is great. No doubt. He uses his size pretty effectively for the purpose of scoring goals and creating opportunities for himself. But, he isn’t and has not been super elite. He hasn’t developed a game where he makes the players around him better. He is a finisher and that is pretty much it. He doesn’t create much offence. He doesn’t have great puck touches that generate that offence. He can use his size to get to the net and he has a great shot. That’s about it. He is not making and setting up plays.

In my opinion, the trade return for him was based so much more on his reputation as an NHL prospect rather than his actual impact as an OHL player. Can he change his game to be more impactful? Sure. Will he? I don’t think so. He will have to at the NHL level though.

Where I think that trade may pay dividends is in the playoffs. He definitely is an elite scorer and with his size, he will be able to battle through the traffic and tighter defence to find his scoring opportunities. So, although I don’t feel he is a super elite player that was worthy of that level of trade return, I do feel that there is a possibility he could earn his keep when the playoffs roll around.

Opinionated

Mar 27, 2014
Just because a player embellishes doesn't necessarily mean that the offending player still didn't commit the offense.

In other words, the refs may have always intended to call the original penalty, and then add on the dive after the infraction.

Reactions: frontsfan67

backwoods

May 5, 2024
SHWA
Matt Rempe being sent back to Hartford yesterday causes a log jam up front.. time will tell ... The Gens desperately need that big power forward type centre.

Pragmatron

Nov 2, 2022
Yeah, IMO Barlow is a good player, no doubt. But, I think he falls in the category of better NHL Prospect than OHL player. The league sees a lot of players that are great NHL prospects. They have the right size and many of the right attributes that make a potential impactful hockey player in the NHL “in time.”

Unfortunately, that doesn’t necessarily mean they have developed in a way that makes them super elite right now in the OHL. There are a handful of players in the OHL right now that are far more impactful and have demonstrated as such over their career.

So, when I say Colby Barlow is overrated, I don’t mean as an NHL prospect. I mean as an OHL player. He has scored 40 goals twice which is great. No doubt. He uses his size pretty effectively for the purpose of scoring goals and creating opportunities for himself. But, he isn’t and has not been super elite. He hasn’t developed a game where he makes the players around him better. He is a finisher and that is pretty much it. He doesn’t create much offence. He doesn’t have great puck touches that generate that offence. He can use his size to get to the net and he has a great shot. That’s about it. He is not making and setting up plays.

In my opinion, the trade return for him was based so much more on his reputation as an NHL prospect rather than his actual impact as an OHL player. Can he change his game to be more impactful? Sure. Will he? I don’t think so. He will have to at the NHL level though.

Where I think that trade may pay dividends is in the playoffs. He definitely is an elite scorer and with his size, he will be able to battle through the traffic and tighter defence to find his scoring opportunities. So, although I don’t feel he is a super elite player that was worthy of that level of trade return, I do feel that there is a possibility he could earn his keep when the playoffs roll around.
Is Barlow another Oskar Olausson?

Noddy

Jul 11, 2024
He's back and playing tonight in Kingston and no he's not Roobroeck (yet) the player who makes his return is Ritchie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad