Oshawa Generals 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
sudbury thinks they can win, they called on barlow and rehkopf
Nah, lol!

They thought that way last year with a better team and still couldn’t get it done.

I fully expect Musty and McCoy to be on the move come trade deadline.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Talk about delusional

Have another look at the probable returning roster of the wolves, this time objectively; then consider what that team might be able to add using the most draft picks in the league and top 16 yr old D.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Have another look at the probable returning roster of the wolves, this time objectively; then consider what that team might be able to add using the most draft picks in the league and top 16 yr old D.
In all fairness, their “most drft picks in the league” situation is marginal. Brampton has an extra 2nd and two less 3rd. IT is not like that represents a wide gap, especially when Brampton has five 2nds over the next two drafts and Sudbury has two. Those picks have much higher value.

Additionally, Sudbury would need to acquire players with those draft picks to catch up and fill the gaps that separate them from Brampton and Barrie (maybe Oshawa too). By the time they fill those gaps, use up those picks, a team like Brampton still has their picks and can surge back ahead.

It is unrealistic to believe Sudbury could be a contender unless the teams currently ahead of them end up not truly being committed to winning this year.

That said, Sudbury is no doormat either. They could pretty much tinker around the fringes and win a round in the playoffs as the 4-5 seed. That may be a more positive result than emptying their picks cabinet to maybe be significantly better while still not likely getting out of round 2 anyway.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Could say the same thing about the fronts and Brantford(still could add)

And that’s not even factoring in the obvious power houses of the league in Brampton and Barrie. Oshawa should be really good too assuming they return both Ritchie and sennecke (roobroeck has a chance of coming back too but I don’t think it’s a good one as I’ve stated before)

0 chance in hell Sudbury makes it past the first round. Unless they do some huge upgrades, get a goalie and ruin the teams future when people leave next year.

Reactions: Section5Petes

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Could say the same thing about the fronts and Brantford(still could add)

And that’s not even factoring in the obvious power houses of the league in Brampton and Barrie. Oshawa should be really good too assuming they return both Ritchie and sennecke (roobroeck has a chance of coming back too but I don’t think it’s a good one as I’ve stated before)

0 chance in hell Sudbury makes it past the first round. Unless they do some huge upgrades, get a goalie and ruin the teams future when people leave next year.

I dunno about that. I think Sudbury has the elite level pieces necessary to get through round one in the 4-5 seed. Yes, they need the goalie. 100%. But, they could sacrifice an OA spot on a goalie and fill that need pretty easily with a few solid options out there now. Losing one of Delic, DeAngelis, or McCoy would hurt but each of those players would command a decent trade return.

If they add a few players to the mix to help round out the roster, I think they could be competitive. Are they at the Oshawa, Brampton, Barrie level? No. But I think they could compete with Kingston, and Brantford. Two of those teams are likely to finish 4-5 and that 4-5 seed battle would be solid.

I wouldn’t write off Sudbury but I also wouldn’t call them a contender.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
In all fairness, their “most drft picks in the league” situation is marginal. Brampton has an extra 2nd and two less 3rd. IT is not like that represents a wide gap, especially when Brampton has five 2nds over the next two drafts and Sudbury has two. Those picks have much higher value.

Additionally, Sudbury would need to acquire players with those draft picks to catch up and fill the gaps that separate them from Brampton and Barrie (maybe Oshawa too). By the time they fill those gaps, use up those picks, a team like Brampton still has their picks and can surge back ahead.

It is unrealistic to believe Sudbury could be a contender unless the teams currently ahead of them end up not truly being committed to winning this year.

That said, Sudbury is no doormat either. They could pretty much tinker around the fringes and win a round in the playoffs as the 4-5 seed. That may be a more positive result than emptying their picks cabinet to maybe be significantly better while still not likely getting out of round 2 anyway.
Barrie is the team to catch, more so if acquiring Eliasson. Brampton imo has a size deficit to address (in the top six) to get past all of Barrie, Oshawa, and Sudbury.
There is really not a lot separating Brampton and Sudbury

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
What puts Brampton ahead of everyone else as favourites in the East is A) having extra draft picks from the Leenders trade and B) having two OA spots available.

They’ll easily be able to add a pair of impact OA guys - - similar to Oshawa getting Lockhart last year - - and still have some top pics remaining as further ammunition to add even more talent.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
What puts Brampton ahead of everyone else as favourites in the East is A) having extra draft picks from the Leenders trade and B) having two OA spots available.

They’ll easily be able to add a pair of impact OA guys - - similar to Oshawa getting Lockhart last year - - and still have some top pics remaining as further ammunition to add even more talent.
Leskovar, and Sova are the steelheads OAs so far.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
I was never concerned about Sudbury last year because their goaltending was so God-awful and their overall team defense was non-existent.
At this time last year before a game you played you had no idea how bad the coaching was. Everyone was giving Sudbury the Eastern Conference before the season started just like your giving Brampton the East now. FWIW, Oshawa can easily contend with the right returnees and additions. Barrie will be good and will battle Brampton for the division title, Brantford and Kingston will also be there. Sudbury, as noted in other posts, will likely add even though they shouldn't

Reactions: howlman and dirty12

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
I thought for sure they would have gone after Leenders at the dead last year.

The Wolves asked about Oster and many other goalies including Leenders well before the deadline. No one was making a difference making goalie available last year and once the Eastern teams saw how badly coached the Wolves were, especially in their end, they bought.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
rob is under the gun, may be his job if they dont win

Papineau found good coaches this year, too bad they weren't there last year. Unless they make very significant additions, especially in goal, it doesn't matter who is coaching this group. 4-6th is their range

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
I’ve been on a lot of message board in my time.

I’ve never come across an omniscient in the real world. It’s a true honor to learn from this guy.
At this point I think it's just to troll. Just ignore him.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Why do you think that Stevie Leskovar will not be back with Brampton?

Let’s think it through logically.

After being draft eligible for two years, Minnesota drafted him in the 6th round - - his third year of eligibility - - instead of just waiting and signing him as a UDFA, or even trading down to take him in the 7th round.

He’s got pro level size now, so it not like he has to bulk up. And if his game had that many holes in it as a soon-to-be-20yr old, Minnesota wouldn’t have wasted the pick reaching for him.

Reactions: Section5Petes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad