Oshawa Generals 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
Hmm just what I heard last but obviously things change. Although if Smith was included I’d be surprised if it wasn’t griffin plus bedkowksi going back
Probably will still include Bedkowski and Griffin to get Barlow

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
If not Oshawa, who do you think might make sense as options on Smith?
Only teams that really make sense imo are Oshawa Kingston and maybe London? Could include Brampton since they only have 2 OA but I’d say it’s pretty rare for a team to use all 3 OA spots on defenceman

Reactions: frontsfan67

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Roobroeck signed both. He signed an NHL ELC in May starting in 25-26 but also an AHL ATO with Hartford.

giphy.gif

Reactions: leafs4life94

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Only teams that really make sense imo are Oshawa Kingston and maybe London? Could include Brampton since they only have 2 OA but I’d say it’s pretty rare for a team to use all 3 OA spots on defenceman
I thought Brampton made a lot of sense until they got Sova. Oshawa feels like a really natural fit. I wonder if Brantford or Barrie would jump in and upgrade their OAs? I'd prefer Owen Sound sent him east personally.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
I thought Brampton made a lot of sense until they got Sova. Oshawa feels like a really natural fit. I wonder if Brantford or Barrie would jump in and upgrade their OAs? I'd prefer Owen Sound sent him east personally.
I think Barrie could but is Brantford gonna move out Bujold Thomas or Lavoie for Smith I’m not sure. Maybe Bujold outta the 3

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I will stick my skinny little neck out and offer, without any substantiation, that Barlow will not wear the green and gold for the balance of his OHL career.

There is no way in HELL that Digger will stand on the rail at the Bayshore and watch his new creation get beat by him 4 or more times this year .

On the other hand, there have been a handful of mutually beneficial deals with his hometown Gennies.

And only 1 Bayshore visit this season .

Reactions: Stellar29

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Seems a bit high to me depending on the picks I guess but I can see why Oshawa would do it.

We’re talking about the Generals here - - not perineal trade patsies like Niagara or Kingston - - so I can’t see them being dumb enough to get fleeced in a lopsided deal to land a big name one-and-done player.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
We’re talking about the Generals here - - not perineal trade patsies like Niagara or Kingston - - so I can’t see them being dumb enough to get fleeced in a lopsided deal to land a big name one-and-done player.
If you guys win the OHL it’s a win win for both you guys and Owen sound even if you stink the following year. A championship is a championship.

Reactions: OMG67

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
If you guys win the OHL it’s a win win for both you guys and Owen sound even if you stink the following year. A championship is a championship.

At this point Brampton is the clear favourite in the East.

Mortgaging the future to be the Eastern Conference runner-up doesn’t make any sense.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

Mortgaging the future to be the Eastern Conference runner-up doesn’t make any sense.
You can't have that attitude as a GM though. If you think you have a contender on your hands, go for it. Forget what others are doing. You can't control that. If you don't think your team is ready, either let guys develop or sell off. Can't let other teams dictate what your strategy is.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
You can't have that attitude as a GM though. If you think you have a contender on your hands, go for it. Forget what others are doing. You can't control that. If you don't think your team is ready, either let guys develop or sell off. Can't let other teams dictate what your strategy is.
And you can't let your fans think you're aiming to be second best before you've played one game.

I say, go for Barlow ! Go for broke !

• Haha
Reactions: dirty12 and tjziel

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

In fairness, Barrie is right there as well. IMO, if Roobroeck and Ritchie are returned, Oshawa has a lot of the elite talent required. They’d only need a 2nd line centre and then mostly upgrades. Some tweaking. Ritchie and Senneke can carry the Gens scoring int he playoffs when it gets more difficult to score. That elite level skill up front makes a huge difference. When the going gets tough, you need guys like Oshawa already has. Then add in the defence and goaltending.

I think Oshawa is right there. IT all comes down to the level of commitment they want to push forward with. It would undoubtedly require the movement of painful pieces. The issue is it is not like 2021-22 where Hamilton was the front runner and tacking on to make sure. This is a situations where it could be three evenly match teams continuing to add and remain even reducing the chances of making the Finals to 33%. Is that a percentage a team like Oshawa would be comfortable with moving painful assets? I think that is where you are saying no. It doesn’t make sense to move the assets necessary to get into a 1 in 3 chance position.

But, if they don’t put themselves in that 1 in 3 position, do you stay happy with 3rd/4th/5th and stay status quo or do you take Ritchie, the most valuable deadline player hands down and make him available? That would be the question if they aren’t committed to making a push.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
In fairness, Barrie is right there as well. IMO, if Roobroeck and Ritchie are returned, Oshawa has a lot of the elite talent required. They’d only need a 2nd line centre and then mostly upgrades. Some tweaking. Ritchie and Senneke can carry the Gens scoring int he playoffs when it gets more difficult to score. That elite level skill up front makes a huge difference. When the going gets tough, you need guys like Oshawa already has. Then add in the defence and goaltending.

I think Oshawa is right there. IT all comes down to the level of commitment they want to push forward with. It would undoubtedly require the movement of painful pieces. The issue is it is not like 2021-22 where Hamilton was the front runner and tacking on to make sure. This is a situations where it could be three evenly match teams continuing to add and remain even reducing the chances of making the Finals to 33%. Is that a percentage a team like Oshawa would be comfortable with moving painful assets? I think that is where you are saying no. It doesn’t make sense to move the assets necessary to get into a 1 in 3 chance position.

But, if they don’t put themselves in that 1 in 3 position, do you stay happy with 3rd/4th/5th and stay status quo or do you take Ritchie, the most valuable deadline player hands down and make him available? That would be the question if they aren’t committed to making a push.
I think the scariest thing about Barrie is they have a goalie that can outright win them any game even if the team just is decent.
Now that they have added pieces and maybe even Gabriel Eliasson if rumours are true this team is going to be pretty nasty.

With that said i think Oshawa is right there if things go their way roster wise and they make a couple small tweaks.

Last edited:

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

They have 2 real good forward lines but defence can use some work. Ivankovic is great but what if he gets injured?(could obviously say that about a lot of teams but you never know)To me you guys have better defence, oster just won goalie of the year- you just need scoring and if you get a guy who will be over a goal per game this year(Barlow) that’ll really boost your chances.

Plus you have all that experience from going to the OHL Finals last year where the steelheads went out in 5 vs Sudbury last year in the first round.

I think the scariest thing about Barrie is they have a goalie that can outright win them any game even if the team just is decent.
Now that they have added pieces and maybe even Gabriel Eliasson if rumours are true this team is going to be pretty nasty.

With that said i think Oshawa is right there if things go there way and they make a couple small tweaks.
I agree. If they add eliasson to their top 4 I have them as the front runner over Brampton right now. They have 2 capable goalies, 3 good forward lines(and still bound to improve), the best top 4 in the back end as well maybe in the league.

Reactions: OMG67

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad