Oshawa Generals 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I mean they still have a completely fully stock draft cupboard too basically.
And the slight chance Ludwinski comes back.
The pause right now is solely to see what happens with Wakely.

I like the pause. I think the pause is good.

I think the team Kingston can ice RIGHT NOW is good enough to see if they are capable of contending. I think it is enough to show where their gaps are and whether filling them will be easy or difficult. I don’t think the team they have now would fall apart without Wakely. I don’t think they will hurt their placing in the standings, at least not tremendously.

If Kingston can acquire Wakely at a reasonable price, then do it. I’d even be ok if it were similar to the Logan Morrison deal (2x 2nds, 2x 3rds, 2x 4ths). It would push Guindon down into a 2C role where he is far more suited. The cost would be high but it’s only a 3rd and 4th more than Gardiner and Wakely will give Kingston more than Gardiner to Barrie.

Like you say, it gives the Fronts some time to see if Ludwinski returns. The problem for me is if Ludwinski returns, adding Guindon is a waste. To me, if Kingston can get Wakely and Ludwinski returns, that is a much better two player combo which is why waiting to see the story unfold is sometimes much better.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You could make the same argument for any team that is not selling. Adding players early is usually cheaper. It will likely add points to your standings and help your playoff seeding. But, it comes at an opportunity cost as do most things. First, if you don’t know you are a true contender, you may be wasting assets on players you wouldn’t otherwise need in an effort to climb the standings. Second, you pull time away from the rookie type players that rely a lot on those first half minutes they get when other teams are still finding their legs. Sometimes you uncover gems by giving them those early season extra minutes. Third, you allow your leadership group to grasp control of the room so when new players come in, they have to fit into the rom. Unless you are specifically trying to acquire leadership, that dichotomy works much better.

Kingston is not proven capable as a contender; therefore, anything they spend on that goes beyond icing a responsible lineup is wasted assets. Ice a responsible roster. LEt them play and prove capable. IF capable, add the components required to be top of the Conference. I believe that is the approach of the Generals. I think it is the correct approach.

I am fine with the Fronts adding OA’s if they fill obvious gaps and the prices are relatively low. The Guindon addition is an example of a decent acquisition. Maybe a slight but too steep of a price for this early in the season but that is more a matter of opinion. If they want to add another OA at a similar price, so be it. No issues with that. But, if they go out and acquire a high priced 19 year old before they prove capable of winning the Conference, I think ti is premature and irresponsible.

I’m pretty sure Kingston realizes is not a proven contender, the team has intendsed to contend this season for a couple of years. If the player Kingston has identified as one that will help the team contend becomes available, the team should acquire him.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Maybe Barlow will go to Oshawa after all after that Barrie trade...

Gardner is probably close to as good as it gets as 3rd centre. Barlow would be an ideal LW for Barrie, and wants to be on the same team ans Bertuccj.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Gardner is probably close to as good as it gets as 3rd centre. Barlow would be an ideal LW for Barrie, and wants to be on the same team ans Bertuccj.
I think Oshawa has a better chance of acquiring Barlow now,
Barrie is down to Parker Vaughn and 2nds to play with in a Barlow deal.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

I think if it ends up being Parker Vaughn, it is pretty much a straight up deal for Barlow. Maybe they blueprint the Del Maestro deal and include a 2nd with Vaughn but I can’t see it being more than that.

Again, the issue will be the depth of available wingers. With Romani also out there as well as Pinelli and potentially Musty, contending teams could wait until the dust settle and simply take the last one left in the same way Guelph waited it out and picked up Suzuki for peanuts.

After all, is there really that much separating Barlow (40) from Romani (58) from Pinelli (48) from Musty (43)? If you are looking mostly at goal scoring, all four are capable. I put Pinelli behind Barlow and Romani but even in the playoffs last year, he scored 5 in 10 games. That is more playoff goals than any of the other three last year. So, they are all pretty much equal’ish. It comes down to secondary attributes and what each teams needs are that the player fills outside of scoring goals.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Smith is very likely not a comparable trade chip to Vaughn.
Barlow has a NTC, and supposedly wants to play with Bertucci. Barrie has enough to acquire Barlow. If OS prefers more picks, they could ask for Newton ‘07-2nd, and Handsor ‘07-3rd instead of Vaughn.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Smith is very likely not a comparable trade chip to Vaughn.
Barlow has a NTC, and supposedly wants to play with Bertucci. Barrie has enough to acquire Barlow. If OS prefers more picks, they could ask for Newton ‘07-2nd, and Handsor ‘07-3rd instead of Vaughn.

Maybe it is Smith and Barlow for Vaughn and a couple 2nds and a 3rd? Smith is the exact type of D-Man they need. That is obviously a deadline deal but it may make the most sense.

Add Barlow and Smith to Barrie and they are likely the front runners.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
[/QUOTE
Maybe it is Smith and Barlow for Vaughn and a couple 2nds and a 3rd? Smith is the exact type of D-Man they need. That is obviously a deadline deal but it may make the most sense.

Add Barlow and Smith to Barrie and they are likely the front runners.

I think Aitcheson is better already, but K.Smith certainly improves the top 4. Personally I like J.Leblanc after McCoy or DeAngelis as the 4th; then Leonard or Smith.[/QUOTE]

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
[/QUOTE

I think Aitcheson is better already, but K.Smith certainly improves the top 4. Personally I like J.Leblanc after McCoy or DeAngelis as the 4th; then Leonard or Smith.
I think Smith adds a physical element. I think Barrie is fine with generating offence from the back end. I don’t think they need a player like D’Angelis. I think his price wouldn’t make sense for Barrie. I think Smith is more realistic.

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
Can we take the Barrie and Kingston chat to their respective boards? Already thought Roco sold the team once on these boards.
Thx

• Haha
Reactions: Donnie740

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It's all relative,.
Barlow gave 2 teams Barrie and Oshawa.
We are discussing trade returns for Barlow.
Not sure how it isn't involving the Gens if you actually read through.

We could always let the thread organically sink to the bottom of the list and wait a week between posts on this thread which seems to be the norm. I’m sure that would be much better.

No sense discussing the competition. The Generals play in a vacuum where no other teams and what they are doing impacts Oshawa.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
We could always let the thread organically sink to the bottom of the list and wait a week between posts on this thread which seems to be the norm. I’m sure that would be much better.

No sense discussing the competition. The Generals play in a vacuum where no other teams and what they are doing impacts Oshawa.
Weird how such a great team can have like zero fans on here.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
After all, is there really that much separating Barlow (40) from Romani (58) from Pinelli (48) from Musty (43)? If you are looking mostly at goal scoring, all four are capable. I put Pinelli behind Barlow and Romani but even in the playoffs last year, he scored 5 in 10 games. That is more playoff goals than any of the other three last year. So, they are all pretty much equal’ish. It comes down to secondary attributes and what each teams needs are that the player fills outside of scoring goals.

Barlow is light years better than Pinelli. His shot alone separates him. Pinelli is a prototype try-hard but undersized junior player whereas Barlow is a legit NHL talent.

I’d definitely take Barlow ahead of Romani as well.

Musty is comparable to Barlow in terms of overall talent, and I really like Musty’s skill set, but he’s too much of a front runner at this point in his career. He’ll score 4 or 5 goals in a blow out but in a tight game it’s like he hangs his head. Last year’s playoff debacle against North Bay was not a good look for Musty. Maybe he’ll grow out of it, maybe not.

But in terms of compete level, I’d take Barlow ahead of Musty.

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
Weird how such a great team can have like zero fans on here.
The fans are there. Look at the attendance. Just because there’s not a million posts about nothing is not the measuring stick of fans lol. If that’s yours than you live a sad social media life. There is lots of chatter on here when it’s pertinent to the team. Plus a lot of us left when you get ridiculed for every statement. Case in point. The only point pertaining to the Gens was Barlow then it was spun into 7 posts about other teams. And while you’re at it the post is mostly in fun as I made the Rocco selling the team. But no you have come at it and cut up the team and fan base for not posting on a board. Pretty comical

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
They all got the boot unfortunately. Some of the past moderation was a little overzealous.

Agree 100%.

I was banned from this forum last year because some kook thought I reminded him of his past nemesis and cried to the moderator.

Despite the fact that I’ve always extended an open invitation to friend or foe questioning my identity for an in-person meet at any home game as well as some road games.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Barlow is light years better than Pinelli. His shot alone separates him. Pinelli is a prototype try-hard but undersized junior player whereas Barlow is a legit NHL talent.

I’d definitely take Barlow ahead of Romani as well.

Musty is comparable to Barlow in terms of overall talent, and I really like Musty’s skill set, but he’s too much of a front runner at this point in his career. He’ll score 4 or 5 goals in a blow out but in a tight game it’s like he hangs his head. Last year’s playoff debacle against North Bay was not a good look for Musty. Maybe he’ll grow out of it, maybe not.

But in terms of compete level, I’d take Barlow ahead of Musty.

I think you are completely nmissing the point. With depth on the wings for high end scorers, there likely won’t be enough teams willing to pay top dollar to acquire one. So, the one that adds Barlow is likely going to pay top dollar. The one acquiring the 4th one likely pays half the price. So, the question remains that when there is so little that separates these kids, it may be a strong strategy to play it cool and wait it out.

Last year Oshawa waited it out and got Punnet for peanuts. Other teams jumped on other guys and then Punnet was sitting there at a discount. Same as when I referenced Suzuki with Guelph in 2019. If this is a buyers market which it could very well be, it may be a better strategy to wait.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
It's all relative,.
Barlow gave 2 teams Barrie and Oshawa.
We are discussing trade returns for Barlow.
Not sure how it isn't involving the Gens if you actually read through.
Barrie was a lock a year ago but want him for 1/2 price so door is open for Oshawa. Barrie thought Barlow would only go there but I think he’d go a few places now

Reactions: Leviathan899

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad