Opinions on Fabian Lysell's future

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
B Burns moved from F to D and Byfuglien moved from D to F. Countless players have played multiple forward positions up and down the line up. All that we hear and read are of absolutes. Let's just see how things shake out. Anything is possible.
So we are putting Merk 's potential in the same paragraph as Burns and Byfuglien?

Anything is possible but miracles really happen.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Lysell plays RW.

Poitras plays center.

Merkulov has played center and LW in Providence. In his short time at center in Boston he won 6 out of 28 faceoffs. Projects to be a left winger.
I think he's a winger too. I actually think he might be a good on his off side. He's got that shot that makes it easy for one-timers.

I think it's Poitras positions to lose at center and Lysell's position to lose at RW but Merkulov could steal either one with a good camp

Reactions: wintersej

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I don't know how anyone can feel confident making a prediction in either direction. Feel like his floor is low and his ceiling is high. Very interested to see how he looks this year. Think he still has a ton of potential and room to grow, so lots of reasons to be excited even if I don't think he's a lock to make it as an NHL player.

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I think he's a winger too. I actually think he might be a good on his off side. He's got that shot that makes it easy for one-timers.

I think it's Poitras positions to lose at center and Lysell's position to lose at RW but Merkulov could steal either one with a good camp

Can't see how it's his position to lose when he hasn't played a single NHL game yet.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
How is that relevant to my post?

Huge difference between a rookie cracking a lineup and a player with zero NHL games under his belt having a position that's his to lose.
Not really. You earmark a top prospect for a lineup spot. As is done all over the league. If he falls on his face he loses it. Is that not what is being referred to here?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Not really. You earmark a top prospect for a lineup spot. As is done all over the league. If he falls on his face he loses it. Is that not what is being referred to here?

Are we designating lysell a spot because he earned it or because we have no other options?

Also a top 6 spot is a lofty role to just be giving someone who hasn’t played in the NHL yet if that’s the assumed spot.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Are we designating lysell a spot because he earned it or because we have no other options?

Also a top 6 spot is a lofty role to just be giving someone who hasn’t played in the NHL yet if that’s the assumed spot.
Again, having a top prospect slotted into a spot isn’t unusual - it’s only been unusual here. I don’t know why so many people are repelling the idea of Lysell being given a chance in the top six, especially when another very young player is given the chance to do that at 3C. Slotting a rookie next to Poitras doesn’t seem like the best idea, so why is it so bad to be giving Lysell the first chance to win that spot?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Again, having a top prospect slotted into a spot isn’t unusual - it’s only been unusual here. I don’t know why so many people are repelling the idea of Lysell being given a chance in the top six, especially when another very young player is given the chance to do that at 3C. Slotting a rookie next to Poitras doesn’t seem like the best idea, so why is it so bad to be giving Lysell the first chance to win that spot?

Given a chance, fine.

His spot to lose, no.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

Issue is the Bruins have so few options with Debrusk gone.

Geekie is inadequate as a top 6 winger. Frederic as well.

Perhaps Brazeau can if he can skate well enough. That would certainly be a surprise however.

Very limited choices by GM who is most comfortable with a missing top 6 winger throughout his tenure.

Reactions: UncleRico

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Can't see how it's his position to lose when he hasn't played a single NHL game yet.
Agree, can't lose what you don't have, but he has the opportunity to seize the position.
I think seizing is the better term. You guys are right, can't lose what you don't have

But it just seems like they are putting a lot of trust in him because they haven't brought anyone else in to compete.

The way I look at things is Lindholm is the #1C (realistically this has been a hole since Bergeron left)
Max Jones replaces Lauko
Kastelic replaces Lucic/Maroon role
Brazeau replaces JVR
Beecher full time over Boqvist

Bruins never really addressed holes left by Debrusk and Heinen and didn't make it a priority at all during FA with even a chance to get someone like Sprong for cheap. They didn't sign one top nine winger.

Everything needs to be earned but it seems like they are penciling Poitras and Lysell there and quite frankly, they need the skill.

Brazeau is becoming a little bit of a fan favorite around here but he's going to get crushed on these boards if they put him in the top six IMO

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
hoping the kid asserts himself to the point that the coaches/management simply can`t send him back to Providence to begin the year. We`ll see, not trying to make excuses for him but finished the season with a concussion, anyone know if this affected his off season training schedule?

Reactions: Kegs

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I think seizing is the better term. You guys are right, can't lose what you don't have

But it just seems like they are putting a lot of trust in him because they haven't brought anyone else in to compete.

The way I look at things is Lindholm is the #1C (realistically this has been a hole since Bergeron left)
Max Jones replaces Lauko
Kastelic replaces Lucic/Maroon role
Brazeau replaces JVR
Beecher full time over Boqvist

Bruins never really addressed holes left by Debrusk and Heinen and didn't make it a priority at all during FA with even a chance to get someone like Sprong for cheap. They didn't sign one top nine winger.

Everything needs to be earned but it seems like they are penciling Poitras and Lysell there and quite frankly, they need the skill.

Brazeau is becoming a little bit of a fan favorite around here but he's going to get crushed on these boards if they put him in the top six IMO

Because of the Lindholm signing, Zacha moves to the wing.

Because Poitras should be back, no worry about losing Boqvist.

Reactions: CellyHard and Kegs

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Lysell plays RW.

Poitras plays center.

Merkulov has played center and LW in Providence. In his short time at center in Boston he won 6 out of 28 faceoffs. Projects to be a left winger.
Not sure I understand where this 'deemed' and 'firm' narrative the players above have been appointed positions prior to opening night? All will battle for a roster spot and position up and down the line up. All deserving equal opportunity. All will be tested. Maybe Lysell can play left and right, maybe Poitras is better suited playing wing, maybe Merk can play right or left wing. Maybe all 3 are not ready for a full time regular season. Maybe all 3 make the roster. Too many maybes to be firm, no? Silly narrative to declare anything.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Not sure I understand where this 'deemed' and 'firm' narrative the players above have been appointed positions prior to opening night? All will battle for a roster spot and position up and down the line up. All deserving equal opportunity. All will be tested. Maybe Lysell can play left and right, maybe Poitras is better suited playing wing, maybe Merk can play right or left wing. Maybe all 3 are not ready for a full time regular season. Maybe all 3 make the roster. Too many maybes to be firm, no? Silly narrative to declare anything.

Simply stating what position a player plays isn't a narrative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad