Opinions on Fabian Lysell's future

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
For all the haters complaining about his development or lack there of....

Look in the mirror and tell me you are the same person you were at 19-20
Were you a finished product then?
Have you matured and changed your attitude and work ethic?

There are haters? Of Lysell?

He hasn't played a game yet, how can there be haters?

Reactions: Kegs

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
His former GM in the WHL says he would put Lysell's skating and speed right there with Bure and McDavid. If the Bruins want to get faster, he's a step in the right direction.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I really wonder how many anti-Lysell people on here have watched him for a period much less an entire game.

Having never seen him play……

IMG_0278.gif

• Haha
Reactions: NeelyDan and JCRO

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
His former GM in the WHL says he would put Lysell's skating and speed right there with Bure and McDavid. If the Bruins want to get faster, he's a step in the right direction.
Sounds like Rico Fata all over again... until he shows some willingness to earn a roster spot that speed won't amount to anything.

Reactions: Fenian24

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Sounds like Rico Fata all over again... until he shows some willingness to earn a roster spot that speed won't amount to anything.
The kids working his but off. I don’t understand this take. You’re acting like he isn’t trying hard enough.

Reactions: StonedZboril

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Rico Fata was much grittier, didn't have any talent but was grittier

That said if the next great speed and skill hope can produce 18, 22a and 40 pts I would be thrilled and rooting for him. Even though I do not like his apparent attitude hopefully he gets it and can contribute.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Couple of older reports on Lysell that do seem to back up the Divver report.

McKeen’s 2021-22 Yearbook - There are many players out there with great feet and many others with great hands, but only a handful who combine speed in all limbs as well as Lysell. He is electric in transition, constantly forcing defenders back into their heels as he gains the zone with speed, His hands are soft and creative. He can change direction faster than many of his peers can skate in a straight line. Additionally, he will look to play the middle lane, not content to stick to the outside like many players of his ability and stature would. Without question, he has as much upside as any forward taken in 2021, and that is why the Bruins chose him at 21st overall.

There are certainly some perceived concerns over his selfishness on the ice and his overall awareness and ability to consistently get the best out of his skill set, one of the reasons he fell to Boston. However, he is a long-term commitment. Lysell has signed with Boston and intends to play in North America this year. Whether that is in the AHL or in the WHL with Vancouver, remains to be seen. However, if his development goes according to plan, Lysell could develop into a high-end top line forward for the Bruins.

From McKeen's Draft Preview:
For as exciting as Lysell’s play can be, there is a chance he is not only not a top ten pick but could fall substantially further than that. This risk is mostly related to off-ice issues that will be judged differently by different teams. The details are sketchy and vary based on which unverified source is consulted, but the general consensus is that while he might lose to another player if the team in question thinks they can provide equivalent value on the ice, the issues, whatever they are, are not toxic or expected to impact his long-term development, which many agree gives him first line upside.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Marc Savard went from one of the most selfish players in the NHL, a guy who didn't know what a back check was, to a 200 foot, 90 point player who was blocking shots, sticking up for teammates, and killing penalties. And all this happened in his 30's. Unless this kid's got some sort of character flaw that can't be overcome, I'm willing to give him a break on the critiques from his 1st AHL season.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I would just give him a trial run the first few month until the trade deadline and banking some cap space, then if it’s not working out make a move at the deadline for a RW.

Reactions: RI.B FAN

Carl Hungus

Apr 20, 2022
I think he's going to have a great year. Not a big fan of a ~20 year old getting dragged in the media before he's even had time to fully develop.

Hoping he succeeds and I think that he will. We need skill and he's got plenty of it.

Reactions: shelbysdad

Raleighfern

Apr 7, 2017
i'm rooting as hard for this kid as any in recent memory. he has so much of what the bruins need to hit on to play today's game. plus, i was a frickin disaster at his age and nobody thought this mass kid would amount to anything. i did.

Reactions: shelbysdad

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Couple of older reports on Lysell that do seem to back up the Divver report.

McKeen’s 2021-22 Yearbook - There are many players out there with great feet and many others with great hands, but only a handful who combine speed in all limbs as well as Lysell. He is electric in transition, constantly forcing defenders back into their heels as he gains the zone with speed, His hands are soft and creative. He can change direction faster than many of his peers can skate in a straight line. Additionally, he will look to play the middle lane, not content to stick to the outside like many players of his ability and stature would. Without question, he has as much upside as any forward taken in 2021, and that is why the Bruins chose him at 21st overall.

There are certainly some perceived concerns over his selfishness on the ice and his overall awareness and ability to consistently get the best out of his skill set, one of the reasons he fell to Boston. However, he is a long-term commitment. Lysell has signed with Boston and intends to play in North America this year. Whether that is in the AHL or in the WHL with Vancouver, remains to be seen. However, if his development goes according to plan, Lysell could develop into a high-end top line forward for the Bruins.

From McKeen's Draft Preview:
For as exciting as Lysell’s play can be, there is a chance he is not only not a top ten pick but could fall substantially further than that. This risk is mostly related to off-ice issues that will be judged differently by different teams. The details are sketchy and vary based on which unverified source is consulted, but the general consensus is that while he might lose to another player if the team in question thinks they can provide equivalent value on the ice, the issues, whatever they are, are not toxic or expected to impact his long-term development, which many agree gives him first line upside.
During his draft season, Lysell pressured Frolunda to trade him to a team willing to play him in the SLH, instead of their J20 junior team. Every time this kind of thing happens in Sweden or Finland, the player invariably gets labeled as a malcontent. Lysell got to play in the SHL, but he barely got any ice time, giving a bit of helium to claims of poor decision making and the like.

A scout or a media guy over there gave the above story, which I think was posted here not all that long after the draft.

The critiques of Lysell's awareness are completely valid and a major hurdle he needs to clear in order to play in the NHL. I'm not entirely sure what to make of the consistency part of that sentence, though. If Lysell is one thing, it's consistent, and that was part of Mougenel's complaint - he was consistently doing the wrong thing by jetting into the offensive zone and blasting outside before getting stripped of the puck.

Reactions: Fenian24

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Marc Savard went from one of the most selfish players in the NHL, a guy who didn't know what a back check was, to a 200 foot, 90 point player who was blocking shots, sticking up for teammates, and killing penalties. And all this happened in his 30's. Unless this kid's got some sort of character flaw that can't be overcome, I'm willing to give him a break on the critiques from his 1st AHL season.
I don't like that comparison.

For one, I don't think Lysell is that kind of player as Savard was in his early 20s.

Secondly, Savard turned into that player after getting dumped as a throw-away in trades by two separate teams after multiple years with them. Some players do need that kind of wake-up call before they turn it around. If Lysell is that kind of player, then its bad news for us, cause he'll be in different colors than black and gold when he finally reaches his potential.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I don't like that comparison.

For one, I don't think Lysell is that kind of player as Savard was in his early 20s.

Secondly, Savard turned into that player after getting dumped as a throw-away in trades by two separate teams after multiple years with them. Some players do need that kind of wake-up call before they turn it around. If Lysell is that kind of player, then its bad news for us, cause he'll be in different colors than black and gold when he finally reaches his potential.

Or maybe he had to go to a team where the culture and coaching was enough to turn him away from his selfish ways. Savard himself gives full credit to Claude for teaching him how to be a complete player, not to mention teaching him why he needed to be a team first guy.

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
I think the "freelancer" and "independent contractor" comments have more to do with his personality than his game. He's always been a great passer. I've heard some folks wonder if he's on the spectrum in terms of his awkwardness socially. I honestly don't know and not trying to make excuses, just putting it out there because it's been discussed on some podcasts.

I for one welcome our autistic and dynamic second line winger, Fabian Lysell

There are haters? Of Lysell?

He hasn't played a game yet, how can there be haters?

He most definitely has haters. He’s been called a bust many times on this board and the general board.

I think he breaks through, seems like everything clicked for him second half of the year. We may have seen him in the big club for a few games if he didn’t get injured.

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
When the Bs use a first round draft pick to take a player with a perceived low ceiling ( both Beecher and Frederick) the Board erupts with complaints ... both have exceeded many of the posters complaints

When the Bs use a first round draft to take a skilled like Lysell the Board erupts he isn't a complete player ....let's give him some time to show if he has developed ...my guess is we will like what we see ( with the requisite poor plays that people can harp on)

And as noted above (#163) - if Lysell isn't the answer the Bs have time to build up cap space and trade for what they need later in the season

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
I think the "freelancer" and "independent contractor" comments have more to do with his personality than his game. He's always been a great passer. I've heard some folks wonder if he's on the spectrum in terms of his awkwardness socially. I honestly don't know and not trying to make excuses, just putting it out there because it's been discussed on some podcasts.
Wildly inappropriate thing for people to speculate publicly, while it wouldn’t affect my opinion of a player some Neanderthals will use it as a negative.

Podcasts though, generally exist for self aggrandizing men who love to hear themselves talk and think they have something important to say.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad