Bleacher Report blogger says that Toronto no longer appeals to free agents, not considered a winning organization

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Winnipeg, EDM, sure.

Vancouver and Toronto regularly get into the the "Top 10 Most Expensive Cities In The World to Live In".

Where? A quick google search returned the usual suspects in the top 10, Zurich, Monaco, Geneva, NYC, San Francisco, LA, Paris, London, etc. even in the top 100 lists I found, I didn’t see Canadian cities cracking the top 50 very often.

I know they’re expensive for Canada. I’m just not sure they’re expensive among NHL markets. My guess would be, kinda average.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
Where? A quick google search returned the usual suspects in the top 10, Zurich, Monaco, Geneva, NYC, San Francisco, LA, Paris, London, etc. even in the top 100 lists I found, I didn’t see Canadian cities cracking the top 50 very often.

I know they’re expensive for Canada. I’m just not sure they’re expensive among NHL markets. My guess would be, kinda average.
Vancouver must be at the very top of prices in the league I would think. House prices are crazy compared to income there

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Did they not just sign the top D available on the Market? Like always it would be atttactive to some players but not others . Are we really lamenting Adam Henrique choosing Edmonton over Toronto? I mean he’s decent depth but I don’t think the sky is falling. Who did they miss out on that would be a game changer ?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Players get paid in USD. That’s a 30 percent bump against the Canadian dollar. Means it’s really f***ing cheap for them in Canada
No it’s not, there is still a conversion from a US goods to a CDN goods.
Couple of items List prices
Ie Apple iPhone pro 128gb Canada $1449
in the US it’s $999

Large big green egg bqq
Canada $2249
USA $1629

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Did they not just sign the top D available on the Market? Like always it would be atttactive to some players but not others . Are we really lamenting Adam Henrique choosing Edmonton over Toronto? I mean he’s decent depth but I don’t think the sky is falling. Who did they miss out on that would be a game changer ?
They didn't.

They did sign Chris Tanev, a veteran defenseman with a lot of miles on him to a six year contract that starts two months before his 35th birthday though.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
More like, there is no money to made in toronto because the big 4 already signed half the cap
They are guaranteed longer summers than kindergarten toddlers.

They didn't.

They did sign Chris Tanev, a veteran defenseman with a lot of miles on him to a six year contract that starts two months before his 35th birthday though.
And leading the league in blocked shots ....risky business

Reactions: dukeofjive

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
And leading the league in blocked shots ....risky business
Yep. That's not criticizing the player he is. He's the exact defenseman you want on your team to set that competitive bar. But that contract will not age well. They're a team likely to be playing in LTI in the not so distant future.

I find it odd that Toronto always ends up with these big name D that are on the back nine of their careers. A trend that dates back pre-salary cap.

Last edited:

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
They didn't.

Otherwise known as the best D on the market . The Montour deal is terrible and Tanev fits way better for what Toronto needs . What do you think the chances are he plays all those years ? Slim to none but appreciate the concern .

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
It's more likely to do with playing under a microscope than winning.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Tanev went there, OEL went there after getting crapped on in Vancouver, Stolarz went…it’s a destination spot for sure, but it’s not for everyone. You do have to have a strong backbone to go there, but if you win there, you’ll be a legend and your great great great grandkids won’t have to pay for a beer/meal in Toronto.

While I'm all for Toronto continuing the losing streak, after finally winning the Cup, fans should be able to experience that. That collective cheer would be heard all the way down here lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad