OOT Scoreboard 2023-24 playoffs

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

Someone reposted that on Twitter and the comments are told. I remember this trade was mocked on here by some too. Did weegar do much in Calgary?

The Oilers have the best player in the world and one of the best right next to him.

After that the team is the absolute definition of mid.
Is Leon a product of mcdavid? How would he be on a different team?

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
This is just unforgivable. There’s speculation that McDonough is battling some serious illness but even if that were the case, ESPN deserves all the criticism it can get for allowing people to speculate about it.

There’s zero enthusiasm with McDonough and there never is, sick or not. I’ve seen exciting point blank scoring opportunities for both sides in which he calls it like it’s just another play. His voice inflection rarely changes. The guy sucks the life out of the telecast. McDonough does not belong in this line of work. It’s hard for me to fathom that this guy is the best ESPN can get? I don’t expect Doc Emrick level of talent but come on!!

I am enjoying Messier looking like he’s going to cry and PK is absolutely gift. Love that guy!!

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Someone reposted that on Twitter and the comments are told. I remember this trade was mocked on here by some too. Did weegar do much in Calgary?

I remember people blaming Florida's lackluster 2022-2023 regular season on losing Huberdeau. Huberdeau went from being one of the most OVERRATED players in the league in 2022 (remember when people were saying to give him the Hart?) to now being one of the most craptastic players and biggest albatross contracts in the league since going to Calgary.

He's played like a BUM in Calgary and has played like someone that's very butt hurt that Florida traded him. I think it was even said that when Bill Zito called him to tell him he was being traded, his response was ''f*** YOU!'' to Bill Zito. I think was actually real and not even a joje.

I mean, I sympathize with him being bummed that Florida traded him, but he willingly signed an extension in Calgary, yet he's played like he doesn't wanna be there. He didn't have to sign that extension. He could have asked for another trade or opted for free agency. So that's on him.

I don't blame Calgary for trading Tkachuk, I don't think he wanted to be there. Unfortunately, one of the guys they got back in the trade for him also didn't wanna be there, yet signed an 8 year deal to stay there and is now in absolute SPACE JUNK territory.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010

It took a lot of guts for panthers management to do a trade like this after the team had a presidents trophy season and one of the best offenses in the league. They realized that despite the regular season success, they didn’t have the kind of identity they wanted or the type of team they thought could win a cup. They had a vision for the type of players they wanted that would get them there and they went out and got them, despite the perceived risk and criticism. It’s not about collecting the flashiest and most skilled players, it’s about putting together the right type and mix of players with talent. On top of that, they willingly chose to let the coach who led them to a great regular season, opting instead to go with someone who they felt fit their vision better. Of course, I was told this is not something a GM could do to a coach after having a record-breaking season. lol

This is what I’m harping on all the time when I talk about leadership and vision. Any yo-yo can select the most talented guys available in the top 3 of the draft, or pay big money to the flashiest free agent available. It’s a totally different thing to have the vision of what identity you want your team to have, know which guys from the top line down to the grinders fits that identity, and have the conviction to make difficult decisions to get the guys who don’t fit it off your team in exchange for the ones who do. Not to mention, ensuring that there’s buy-in and a culture built for that vision from the owner all the way down to the Zamboni driver.

Bill Zito channeled his inner prime Lamorielli, and it’s beautiful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guadana

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

How was it mocked? Florida was mocked?

I just remember my take, which was:

1) Zito had to be thrilled that he got out of having to give Huberdeau an extension, and rightly so.

2) He had to be even more thrilled that he got out of it by replacing him with a better and younger star on a nice deal that ends when he’s 32. (As opposed to Huberdeau’s deal ending when he’s 38.)

3) Unlike Huberdeau, I thought Weeger was a tougher loss and he wasn’t being replaced, but he had three bridge deals from Tallon/Zito, which suggests that Florida was wary about signing Weegar longterm.

Weeger signed a 8 year/6.25m deal that ends when he’s 38.
Forsling signed a 8 year/5.75m deal that ends when he’s 37.
We’ll see who works out better. (Forsling has the advantage of playing on a top team obviously.)

IMG_7960.jpeg

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You aren’t even touching on the real rarity here which is the loser of the previous SCF winning the Cup the next year. (Assiming Florida wins.)

Since 1975, which is when the NHL expanded
to 18 teams and a 4 round playoff format, there’s been (out of 48 total):

13 Stanley Cup winners who won the year before.
10 Stanley Cup winners who lost in the 3rd round/ Conference Finals the year before.
2 Stanley Cup winners who lost in the Stanley Cup Final the year before.

The last two are 1984 Oilers and 2009 Penguins.

-1975: NHL expanded to 18 teams & playoffs expanded to 4 rounds with 12 teams-

SCF Winner - previous year results
1975 PHI - SCF winner
1976 MTL - 3rd Rd Semi-Finals loser
1977 MTL - SCF winner
1978 MTL - SCF winner
1979 MTL - SCF winner

-1980: 21 teams after merger, playoffs expand to 21 teams-

1980 NYI - 3rd Rd Semi-Finals loser
1981 NYI - SCF winner

-1982 1st Divisional Playoffs with 3rd Rd Conference Finals-

1982 NYI - SCF winner
1983 NYI - SCF winner
1984 EDM - SCF loser
1985 EDM - SCF winner
1988 EDM - SCF winner

-1992: NHL expands to 22 teams-

1992 PIT - SCF winner

-1993: NHL expands to 24 teams-

-1994: NHL expands to 26 teams-

1995 NJD - ECF loser
1997 DET - WCF loser
1998 DET -SCF winner

-1999: NHL expands to 27 teams-

1999 DAL - WCF loser

-2000: NHL expands to 28 teams-
-2001: NHL expands to 30 teams-

2001 COL - WCF loser
2007 ANA - WCF loser
2009 PIT - SCF loser
2010 CHI - WCF loser
2014 LAK - WCF loser
2015 CHI - WCF loser
2017 PIT - SCF winner

-2018: NHL expands to 31 teams-

2021 TBL - SCF winner

-2022: NHL expands to 32 teams-
I didn't realize it was that rare for the finalist from the year before to go back again the next year and win.

Now the cup winner going back the next year and losing isn't quite as rare. Tampa just did it two years ago after 2 cup wins in a row. The 09 Red Wings. And of course the 01 Devils and the 00 Stars. Still, that's only 4 this century.

Now you got me thinking the last team to make the cup finals two straight years and lose both times? Florida probably would have been the first team to do that in a very long time if they lost again this year. Of course Corey Perry did it THREE times in a row, with THREE different teams. Now he's about to do it FOUR times in FIVE years, with FOUR different teams. But Corey Perry is not a team!:laugh:

I think we all remember the Buffalo Bills losing the super bowl 4 times in a row. I think the Broncos also lost all 3 of the super bowls they made in the late 80s (one of them to the Giants) before those back to back super bowls they finally won at the end of Elway's career in the late 90s.

I'm sure it's happened in the NHL, but not in a long while, so now I have to look it up.

The most recent time I can see is the Bruins losing two years in a row to Montreal in 1977 and 1978. Those were cup wins 2 and 3 of 4 in a row for Montreal.

The Flyers lost 2 times in 3 years, both times to Edmonton in 1985 and 1987. Boston also lost 2 times in 3 years, both to Edmonton in 1988 and 1990.

Reactions: My3Sons

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
I remember people blaming Florida's lackluster 2022-2023 regular season on losing Huberdeau. Huberdeau went from being one of the most OVERRATED players in the league in 2022 (remember when people were saying to give him the Hart?) to now being one of the most craptastic players and biggest albatross contracts in the league since going to Calgary.

He's played like a BUM in Calgary and has played like someone that's very butt hurt that Florida traded him. I think it was even said that when Bill Zito called him to tell him he was being traded, his response was ''f*** YOU!'' to Bill Zito. I think was actually real and not even a joje.

I mean, I sympathize with him being bummed that Florida traded him, but he willingly signed an extension in Calgary, yet he's played like he doesn't wanna be there. He didn't have to sign that extension. He could have asked for another trade or opted for free agency. So that's on him.

I don't blame Calgary for trading Tkachuk, I don't think he wanted to be there. Unfortunately, one of the guys they got back in the trade for him also didn't wanna be there, yet signed an 8 year deal to stay there and is now in absolute SPACE JUNK territory.
Herb was definitely overrated, the analytics kind of dragged him that season. Can't remember exactly but I believe he had decent analytics but they were far worse than every regular on the team, and everyone of his linemates and the team as a whole had a higher xGF% without him on the ice. Tkachuk definitely brings much more to the table aside from just point totals

Also I believe Tkachuk did want to stay long term at first when his ELC ended but got offended/pissed when Calgary didn't want to sign him long term and bridge him instead.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yeah, I really don't find Florida trading Huberdeau and Weegar for Tkachuk to be all that shrewd (I'm sure DD does though!:sarcasm:), I think it was a no-brainer.

Huberdeau was coming up on 30 and I don't think they wanted to give him the deal Calgary gave him. Tkachuk is what, 4 or 5 years younger than Huberdeau? I thought that was a no-brainer.

And I don't even blame Treliving/Calgary much for that. Tkachuk didn't wanna be there. So they got rid of him. Huberdeau probably shouldn't be as bad as he's been there. At least not this early on. He's played like a guy that doesn't really wanna be there. Not sure why you signed there to the big deal, because he clearly doesn't wanna be there.

Maybe he was just scarred after Florida traded him and would have sulked around anywhere he went?

Reactions: Darkauron

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

I remember mocking it from the Calgary perspective. Instead of loading up on futures once they were losing Gaudreau and Thachuk they desperately tried to stay relevant and overpaid Huberdeau before he ever played there to justify it.

Reactions: Oneiro

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It took a lot of guts for panthers management to do a trade like this after the team had a presidents trophy season and one of the best offenses in the league. They realized that despite the regular season success, they didn’t have the kind of identity they wanted or the type of team they thought could win a cup. They had a vision for the type of players they wanted that would get them there and they went out and got them, despite the perceived risk and criticism. It’s not about collecting the flashiest and most skilled players, it’s about putting together the right type and mix of players with talent. On top of that, they willingly chose to let the coach who led them to a great regular season, opting instead to go with someone who they felt fit their vision better. Of course, I was told this is not something a GM could do to a coach after having a record-breaking season. lol

This is what I’m harping on all the time when I talk about leadership and vision. Any yo-yo can select the most talented guys available in the top 3 of the draft, or pay big money to the flashiest free agent available. It’s a totally different thing to have the vision of what identity you want your team to have, know which guys from the top line down to the grinders fits that identity, and have the conviction to make difficult decisions to get the guys who don’t fit it off your team in exchange for the ones who do. Not to mention, ensuring that there’s buy-in and a culture built for that vision from the owner all the way down to the Zamboni driver.

Bill Zito channeled his inner prime Lamorielli, and it’s beautiful.
Ehhh they also replaced an inexperienced coach with a vet in Maurice, whereas people were advocating we go the other way. And I think anyone would make that trade for Thachuk with two players in their walk year if you knew he would sign.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I’m just here for that close up of an exasperated McDavid looking out onto the ice, wistfully, knowing fully that the necessary level of commitment cannot be found in the meek land of Alberta and he must venture forth into the unknown.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Henrique's beard is really 80s looking. He didn't have the 80s beard in 2012. It was much more clean cut and trimmed.

Maybe that's even the late 70s. Whatever it is....It's giving cokehead disco vibes.

He just needs to come out there with a shirt with one button undone to show off his chest hair like Jack Tripper.

Reactions: Dylan9z9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad