OOT Scoreboard 2023-24 playoffs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Yes lol. I’ve been thinking about that ever since these two teams were gonna be the finalists. And how Torts will feel vindicated if the Panthers win.

Is he actually the same guy that did it at the Meadowlands? I can’t remember what the guy looked like. I figured it was just another guy they hired to do the same thing.

Its the same exact guy he goes around everywhere and does this for a living, I was off in that apparently it was at prudential and not the Meadowlands but it was 15 years ago lol...

Here's him recently in Edmonton and if you check out his stories you can see the clip from the broadcast last night...

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I don’t think Skinner did anything wrong in games 1 and 2, but he definitely deserves to be shredded for last night.

The second goal was completely on him and changed the game. He gave it away. That’s a 1-1 game and he does something like that and the Oilers trailed for the rest of the night.

He needed a save on that fourth goal.

I almost wonder if we see Pickard in game 4 to try to keep it alive, but they wouldn’t let Pickard play after Vancouver had them on the brink.
They can’t put Pickard in. That puts the Oilers in the Vitek territory where you potentially lose Skinner for next year because his brain is scrambled by losing his job twice in the playoffs. Plus, Skinner hasn’t been unplayable bad the last two rounds.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I mean, yeah, he wasn't great. But give Florida credit for actually finishing those chances. That Tarasenko goal was way trickier than it looked with the puck rolling and he made no mistake. Edmonton keeps botching their chances and 2 goals (to that point) is much more unacceptable imo.
That goal was completely on Skinner for turning it over. I would argue he lost them this game. Definitely the first two though.

You don’t win the cup with numbers like Skinner has these playoffs. There’s the Kuemper/Francouz’s, Niemi’s and 2014 Quick’s/2009 Fleury’s and there’s guys like Skinner has played these playoffs (and last) who were worse than any of those guys and they aren’t conducive to winning the cup.

Just ask Brodeur in 2001. He obviously won the cup both before and after that, so I feel shitty putting his name in the same conversation as Skinner. However, it’s an example that those of us past a certain age will be familiar with.

They can’t put Pickard in. That puts the Oilers in the Vitek territory where you potentially lose Skinner for next year because his brain is scrambled by losing his job twice in the playoffs. Plus, Skinner hasn’t been unplayable bad the last two rounds.
I don’t know if they care about him going forward at this point. They just may upgrade on him this offseason after they buyout Campbell.

I think since they got to the finals he won’t be completely exiled off the team, but I think they’re wondering if they can win it all with him. And his playoff numbers for two years and over 30 career playoff games. I think he’s cheap enough where they can keep him as the backup next year.

Are they on Ullmark’s no trade list? Because I can see them wanting him if not just as the one year rental, like Colorado did with Kuemper.

Last edited:

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Poor Henrique, all he knows is being down 0-3 in cup finals.

On a different note, has to be the first time two players of Portuguese decent (Henrique, Rodrigues) face off against each other in the playoffs/final. Isso é louco!
He isnt poor, he will sign with Devils to try to close his geschtaldt with his team.
I believe he will be cheaper without the cup.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The cup finals is so incredibly slow because of the 2 whole days off every time the series shifts cities.

And then there was 5 entire days between games from the time of the last conference finals game ended till the first cup finals game began.

My non-hockey watching friend is like ''Hey, I'm gonna come over. What are we watching tonight?''

And I'm like ''Cup finals game is on tonight''

And he goes ''WTF man? It's still on? I thought it ended? I was over your house every (weeknight) night last week and there wasn't a single game on?''.

I'm like ''My thoughts exactly''

By the end of the cup finals I'm kind of wanting the season to be put out of its misery already. So I couldn't care less if it ends tomorrow night. It's gonna go by sooooo slow with 2 whole days between every game from here on out after tomorrow night.

Not that I really think there will be more than one more game after tomorrow night, if tomorrow isn't the last one. I feel like the Oilers and almost any SCF making team is too good to be swept, but I don't see another game being played in Edmonton after tomorrow night. The Panthers will close it out at home in game 5, if they don't do it tomorrow night in Edmonton.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
The cup finals is so incredibly slow because of the 2 whole days off every time the series shifts cities.

And then there was 5 entire days between games from the time of the last conference finals game ended till the first cup finals game began.

My non-hockey watching friend is like ''Hey, I'm gonna come over. What are we watching tonight?''

And I'm like ''Cup finals game is on tonight''

And he goes ''WTF man? It's still on? I thought it ended? I was over your house every (weeknight) night last week and there wasn't a single game on?''.

I'm like ''My thoughts exactly''

By the end of the cup finals I'm kind of wanting the season to be put out of its misery already. So I couldn't care less if it ends tomorrow night. It's gonna go by sooooo slow with 2 whole days between every game from here on out after tomorrow night.

Not that I really think there will be more than one more game after tomorrow night, if tomorrow isn't the last one. I feel like the Oilers and almost any SCF making team is too good to be swept, but I don't see another game being played in Edmonton after tomorrow night. The Panthers will close it out at home in game 5, if they don't do it tomorrow night in Edmonton.

now give me a 70 odd game regular season while we're at it. and baseball? love my cubbies and the game but 162? damn.

ok, time to golf my new backyard chip and putt 9 hole course. so far three rounds shot... par 27. (ya, three a hole)

did 30, 25, and 28 ...so looks to be a fair setup.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I can't remember the last cup finals sweep. Even the TERRIBLE 2021 Canadiens made it to 5 games against Tampa. The pretty weak 2002 Hurricanes made it to 5 against Detroit. Was it one of those Detroit cup winning teams from the late 90s? I think they swept either the Flyers or Capitals. Can't remember which one, they played both in those back to back years.

Okay - I just looked it up. It was the 1998 Red Wings over the Capitals. They swept BOTH the Flyers and Capitals in back to back cup finals. In fact, there were FOUR sweeps in a row in the cup finals from 95 through 98 and that was the last time.

Even 5 games doesn't seem all that frequent, despite it only going 5 in two of the last three years. I remember 2018 the Caps took out the Golden Knights in 5. So that's 3 of the last 6 years.

Okay, so since 1998, the cup finals has ended in 5 games in 2002, 2007, 2014, 2018, 2021, 2023. There's actually been one more 7 game finals than 5 game finals since then.

2001, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2009. 2011, 2019. 2001 through 2006 it happened in 4 of 5 finals. It's only happened once since 2011 though. Whereas there have been four finals that ended in 5 since then.

There's been more 6 game finals than anything over the last 25 years.

Reactions: My3Sons

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I can't remember the last cup finals sweep. Even the TERRIBLE 2021 Canadiens made it to 5 games against Tampa. The pretty weak 2002 Hurricanes made it to 5 against Detroit. Was it one of those Detroit cup winning teams from the late 90s? I think they swept either the Flyers or Capitals. Can't remember which one, they played both in those back to back years.

Okay - I just looked it up. It was the 1998 Red Wings over the Capitals. They swept BOTH the Flyers and Capitals in back to back cup finals. In fact, there were FOUR sweeps in a row in the cup finals from 95 through 98 and that was the last time.

Even 5 games doesn't seem all that frequent, despite it only going 5 in two of the last three years. I remember 2018 the Caps took out the Golden Knights in 5. So that's 3 of the last 6 years.

Okay, so since 1998, the cup finals has ended in 5 games in 2002, 2007, 2014, 2018, 2021, 2023. There's actually been one more 7 game finals than 5 game finals since then.

2001, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2009. 2011, 2019. 2001 through 2006 it happened in 4 of 5 finals. It's only happened once since 2011 though. Whereas there have been four finals that ended in 5 since then.

pear a tee

-gary

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
now give me a 70 odd game regular season while we're at it. and baseball? love my cubbies and the game but 162? damn.

ok, time to golf my new backyard chip and putt 9 hole course. so far three rounds shot... par 27. (ya, three a hole)

did 30, 25, and 28 ...so looks to be a fair setup.
I don't mind the regular season being 82 games. I'd be fine with 84, because I like watching hockey and it gives me something to do.

I'd be happy if they cut out some of the preseason games though. I think that's too long. I don't know if that's the popular opinion among the players or not, but many people do seem to share that opinion that the preseason is too long. There's too many games where they're icing shit lineups with guys who would otherwise never even play in a regular season NHL game in their careers.

I don't think there needs to be that many preseason games at all. Back in both 2013 and 2021, there were exactly 0 preseason games and a much shorter training camp than normal seasons.

The 1994-1995 season DID have a preseason, but it was before the lockout started. I clearly remember the lockout beginning after camps opened/preseason games were played in 1994. There were no additional preseason games before the season did start in January. I wish I could tell you or remember how long the second training camp was in 1995 after the lockout ended, but I don't really know or remember. I don't think it was any longer than the 2013 or 2021 camps.

I think the 2013 training camp after that lockout ended was only like a week? I think it was only about a week in 2021 for the teams that made the playoffs the year before, and 3-4 more days for the 7 or 8 teams that didn't.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

Its funny I remember all finals from 80s to now but I cant remember finals before. its very important to have normal tape. And desire to watch it. When Im reading about hockey of 30-50 Im very intriguing by narratives. But I just cant make a deep dive.

Overall Bobrovskiy didnt cooked. But he is just very good. Oilers would win nothing even with Hellebyuck. The more important part of the game is limiting of opportunities. Florida are playing physical defensive game. And they are good in it. With better depth its working well.

I hope Fitz will made right conclusions from this play off. As Keefe. He faced Florida before, his maple leafs lost to Boston who are lesser version of what Florida is now.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Its funny I remember all finals from 80s to now but I cant remember finals before. its very important to have normal tape. And desire to watch it. When Im reading about hockey of 30-50 Im very intriguing by narratives. But I just cant make a deep dive.

Overall Bobrovskiy didnt cooked. But he is just very good. Oilers would win nothing even with Hellebyuck. The more important part of the game is limiting of opportunities. Florida are playing physical defensive game. And they are good in it. With better depth its working well.

I hope Fitz will made right conclusions from this play off. As Keefe. He faced Florida before, his maple leafs lost to Boston who are lesser version of what Florida is now.
I do think Skinner should get blame for last night's game, but none for games 1 and 2. I thought he played more than fine in games 1 and 2.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I do think Skinner should get blame for last night's game, but none for games 1 and 2. I thought he played more than fine in games 1 and 2.
I agree, but mostly this playoff is nothing about goalies. Only Shestyorkin gave real impact and even they cant do shift against better Florida. Shestyorkin stands on his head against us year ago - still rangers lost. They really need to build their defense better and find some more power for their bottom lines if they want to win. Panarin, Ziba and Kreider are getting older.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I agree, but mostly this playoff is nothing about goalies. Only Shestyorkin gave real impact and even they cant do shift against better Florida. Shestyorkin stands on his head against us year ago - still rangers lost. They really need to build their defense better and find some more power for their bottom lines if they want to win. Panarin, Ziba and Kreider are getting older.
Shesterkin and Swayman I'd say. Although Bob has been really good for the last two rounds. He was just okay in the first two rounds.

I still say Andersen played like the biggest BUM of the playoffs. The Canes should have won that series. They scored more goals on Igor than Florida did in the same number of games.

The difference was Bob vs Andersen. And Andersen BLEW.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Shesterkin and Swayman I'd say. Although Bob has been really good for the last two rounds. He was just okay in the first two rounds.
He isnt main reason why Florida are ahead of oilers and rags. Still good performance. It helps. Important part for goalie to be good when its matter. Swayman was good absolutely.
Saros, Hellebyuck, Ottienger sometimes were not good.

Overall I would prefer to have good healthy goalie over crazy pricey goalie with couple of years under the hood.

Reactions: Bleedred

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I don't mind the regular season being 82 games. I'd be fine with 84, because I like watching hockey and it gives me something to do.

I'd be happy if they cut out some of the preseason games though. I think that's too long. I don't know if that's the popular opinion among the players or not, but many people do seem to share that opinion that the preseason is too long. There's too many games where they're icing shit lineups with guys who would otherwise never even play in a regular season NHL game in their careers.

I don't think there needs to be that many preseason games at all. Back in both 2013 and 2021, there were exactly 0 preseason games and a much shorter training camp than normal seasons.

The 1994-1995 season DID have a preseason, but it was before the lockout started. I clearly remember the lockout beginning after camps opened/preseason games were played in 1994. There were no additional preseason games before the season did start in January. I wish I could tell you or remember how long the second training camp was in 1995 after the lockout ended, but I don't really know or remember. I don't think it was any longer than the 2013 or 2021 camps.

I think the 2013 training camp after that lockout ended was only like a week? I think it was only about a week in 2021 for the teams that made the playoffs the year before, and 3-4 more days for the 7 or 8 teams that didn't.

82 is tough to catch all

i rarely miss games. even out of town i'll find a way.... or literally down in a sewer with the radio on

this game was a hoot.... all kinds of big wigs there to see what we do..... im in my own f***ing world just doing the job and having a blast. i made 1000 bucks that night..... sure, didnt get home until 430 am but i dont care. devils hockey after official elimination. i'm there.

nico oh no! :laugh:

20:00 NJD Nico Hischier Unsportsmanlike Conduct 2 min

edit: error. it was this game..... mixed up two 'high' scoring games close to each other.

Last edited:

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
82 is tough to catch all

i rarely miss games. even out of town i'll find a way.... or literally down in a sewer with the radio on

this game was a hoot.... all kinds of big wigs there to see what we do..... im in my own f***ing world just doing the job and having a blast. i made 1000 bucks that night..... sure, didnt get home until 430 am but i dont care.

nico oh no! :laugh:

20:00 NJD Nico Hischier Unsportsmanlike Conduct 2 min
I completely forgot all about this game, despite it being one of our last games of the season and maybe even our last win? Or did we beat Toronto one more time after this game?

If I hadn't forgotten about this game then I would have totally said the second Ottawa announced they were hiring Travis Green to be head coach that the late season win really did it and REALLY SOLD THEM!:laugh:

Reactions: njdevils1982

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

You aren’t even touching on the real rarity here which is the loser of the previous SCF winning the Cup the next year. (Assiming Florida wins.)

Since 1975, which is when the NHL expanded
to 18 teams and a 4 round playoff format, there’s been (out of 48 total):

13 Stanley Cup winners who won the year before.
10 Stanley Cup winners who lost in the 3rd round/ Conference Finals the year before.
2 Stanley Cup winners who lost in the Stanley Cup Final the year before.

The last two are 1984 Oilers and 2009 Penguins.

-1975: NHL expanded to 18 teams & playoffs expanded to 4 rounds with 12 teams-

SCF Winner - previous year results
1975 PHI - SCF winner
1976 MTL - 3rd Rd Semi-Finals loser
1977 MTL - SCF winner
1978 MTL - SCF winner
1979 MTL - SCF winner

-1980: 21 teams after merger, playoffs expand to 16 teams-

1980 NYI - 3rd Rd Semi-Finals loser
1981 NYI - SCF winner

-1982 1st Divisional Playoffs with 3rd Rd Conference Finals-

1982 NYI - SCF winner