One Trick Pony players. Amazing at one thing.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Phil Kessel can be a good playmaker at times, but his snap/wrist shot is really his his one trick. I'd love to see the percentage of his career goals that were scored that way.
He had crazy straight-line speed. Great on ice awareness...

I dunno Kessel was far from a 1 trick guy. He was an exceptional hockey player.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
So many awful awful awful answers in this thread its actually crazy , some people are literally naming like ppg players and 60 point guys lmao

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
Erik Christensen and shootouts.

Christensen was hand-tailored for the shootout. He legit had world-class skill with the puck on his stick, in a vacuum.

He wasn't a good player in-game, because he wasn't a great skater, didn't process the game well, and didn't have the strength to handle any of the physical aspect of the game, but if you just put the puck on his stick with nothing around him, he was Patrick Kane.

Carl Hagelin also wasn't really good at anything, to be honest. He actually was a very good player in his day because he was faster than everyone else and played with a ton of grit, but literally all he could do was skate fast.
The fact that a player can carve out a career just by skating fast makes me angry whenever the Rangers draft a player who "needs to work on his skating" or "is a below average skater."

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
He had crazy straight-line speed. Great on ice awareness...

I dunno Kessel was far from a 1 trick guy. He was an exceptional hockey player.
Eh, personally I think any player who makes it to the NHL should have good "straight-line speed".

Kessel was known as a goal-scorer, and his one trick in scoring goals was a wrist/snap shot. He had some moments of being a great playmaker, but over the course of his career his legacy was as a goal scorer.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
And cheap shot Crosby on the way.

Crosby had low on ice awareness at that moment. That concussion was 100% Crosby’s fault - because he abruptly turns, while puck watching, with his head down - something no hockey coach would ever advise. Steckel was always a stand up guy who answered the bell. But turning a good person into the great Satan is apparently easier for some of us than admitting Sidney Crosby is human, and so here you are.

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Eh, personally I think any player who makes it to the NHL should have good "straight-line speed".

Kessel was known as a goal-scorer, and his one trick in scoring goals was a wrist/snap shot. He had some moments of being a great playmaker, but over the course of his career his legacy was as a goal scorer.
There's 'good straight line speed'
And then there's fastest in the league (pre-McDavid).

Kessel had elite straight-line speed, and could back off defenders and create rush chances out of nothing.

And yes, incredible shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad