OT: One More Off Topic Off Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
loved that game
Always said the same. All the hockey video games put together were not as fun as those rod hockey games. I liked both the tin players version that came earlier and the plastic players. You could do different things with shots in both. Metal players had the harder shot and could really wing it but the plastic ones had the spring loaded thing where when you got the hang of it you could get good releases. Took a bit to get used to those.

Its hard to like video hockey games after those great table hockey games. Memories of leagues and seasons and standings. We were organized. So many kids were. We even had scheduled games and road and home games. lol Must have driven our parents nuts.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Always said the same. All the hockey video games put together were not as fun as those rod hockey games. I liked both the tin players version that came earlier and the plastic players. You could do different things with shots in both. Metal players had the harder shot and could really wing it but the plastic ones had the spring loaded thing where when you got the hang of it you could get good releases. Took a bit to get used to those.

Its hard to like video hockey games after those great table hockey games. Memories of leagues and seasons and standings. We were organized. So many kids were. We even had scheduled games and road and home games. lol Must have driven our parents nuts.
The bubble game was damn good too. But the finesse it took to be good at the original is unmatched.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

Loved these table games and the air hockey games that were big for a while in the late 70’s. I had both.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The original ones in the 70's were the best with the metal players. Custom curving the sticks, just like the pros, and drilling it into the top cheese was a blast. And the wood pucks were also the best. Maybe didn't slide like the later plastic and metal ball versions, but man, could you ever fire the disk. Unfortunately, the rods took a shitkicking, and when they got bent, you were pretty much done. Hugely popular, I remember going to a big tournament in one of the city's hotels back in the day.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Metal players were great, could make great banana blades. Man we had fun with that game as a kid. That was our video game.
Best game evar as others have commented. Played it endlessly as a kid. But living in residence in university my buddy bought one as a Christmas gift for his brother back in the Maritimes and planned to mail it. Well one drunken night the game came out of the box and became the centre of our building's attention. Brought out even shy peeps to play. Tons of great memories. A few years later when I first met buddy's younger bro, we laughed about the Christmas gift he never got!

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
The original ones in the 70's were the best with the metal players. Custom curving the sticks, just like the pros, and drilling it into the top cheese was a blast. And the wood pucks were also the best. Maybe didn't slide like the later plastic and metal ball versions, but man, could you ever fire the disk. Unfortunately, the rods took a shitkicking, and when they got bent, you were pretty much done. Hugely popular, I remember going to a big tournament in one of the city's hotels back in the day.

The tournaments were a real eye opener. You go into the Edmonton Open thinking you are king shit in your neighborhood, and then get your ass handed to you by guys with moves you have never seen in your life. But those tourneys were great lessons, learned a ton.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

Oilers and Flames need an amazing pregame ritual like this instead of the national anthem.

Please no. Looks like horny peacocks strutting around. Plus you know whatever the Flames would cook up would be cringe and involve *singing*. Nucks would have dive components in the routine and judges with scorecards.

I don't want any of this..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad