OT: One More Off Topic Off Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Looks like the NHL is lagging behind the MLB and NFL as per usual..

IMG_7057.jpeg

When will the NHL see my value?

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I always turned on my left signal when driving in. True Edmonton OGs know what I’m talking about

View attachment 903697
I had a buddy that drove a Trans Am that he could put it in neutral and by turning the key off could make his car backfire on demand. When we drove through the rat hole, if there were people walking through, he would do it and scare the crap out of them....boy did we laugh.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If you did this today the mattresses could contain fleas, lice, crabs, bed bugs fentanyl, meth, just saying....

In fact the probability of a mattress being discarded containing bed bugs is probably up there.
Newsflash, I would think mattresses back then would contain all those except for the drugs.

Reactions: oilers'72

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This whole Corn Maze killing just gets weirder. So they were on a supervised visit from Alberta Hospital is what we knew before. Now it comes out that both guys had previously been deemed a significant threat to the public.

Who in their right mind would think taking two individuals like that to a place where families with small children are frequently attending?

Reactions: oilers'72

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
This whole Corn Maze killing just gets weirder. So they were on a supervised visit from Alberta Hospital is what we knew before. Now it comes out that both guys had previously been deemed a significant threat to the public.

Who in their right mind would think taking two individuals like that to a place where families with small children are frequently attending?

Actually protecting the public is tertiary to making violent offenders feel better while giving them every excuse in the book as to why they aren't actually responsible for what they did.

There needs to be significant reform in how violent offenders are handled in this country in every single respect, from policing it, all the way down to parole and how they are handled when incarcerated. The sob story of how they got there isn't frankly relevant when it's the public that has to deal with the fallout.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010

Who would think that this would be a good place to send people with schizophrenia. Getting lost in a Corn Maze has tested my patience before. Both guys had psychotic and social issues, lets go to a corn maze. Terrible idea.

Actually protecting the public is tertiary to making violent offenders feel better while giving them every excuse in the book as to why they aren't actually responsible for what they did.

There needs to be significant reform in how violent offenders are handled in this country in every single respect, from policing it, all the way down to parole and how they are handled when incarcerated. The sob story of how they got there isn't frankly relevant when it's the public that has to deal with the fallout.
What will it take for those changes though, seems we prefer the sob stories to justice.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Who would think that this would be a good place to send people with schizophrenia. Getting lost in a Corn Maze has tested my patience before. Both guys had psychotic and social issues, lets go to a corn maze. Terrible idea.

The way criminals are handled here is similar to the ideology of Pit Bull owners.

"This one is actually a nice offender, he's ok now, when he acted out before it wasn't his fault...."

Until that person does it again, every single time. There are countless studies on violent offenders, and especially violent sexual offenders that show that there is little chance of rehabilitation. Doesn't change our government's view that they are just folks that were somehow wronged and deserve as many second chances as possible.

What will it take for those changes though, seems we prefer the sob stories to justice.

This definitively isn't the case for the general public.

Unfortunately we are victim of a slate of terrible supreme court decisions over the past couple of decades that decisively stack the deck in favour of the offender. Still things that can be done in spite of this, but that certainly won't come from this pathetic government that is likely much more interested in balancing out the racial demographics of those incarcerated then actually protecting the public.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The way criminals are handled here is similar to the ideology of Pit Bull owners.

"This one is actually a nice offender, he's ok now, when he acted out before it wasn't his fault...."

Until that person does it again, every single time. There are countless studies on violent offenders, and especially violent sexual offenders that show that there is little chance of rehabilitation. Doesn't change our government's view that they are just folks that were somehow wronged and deserve as many second chances as possible.

This definitively isn't the case for the general public.

Unfortunately we are victim of a slate of terrible supreme court decisions over the past couple of decades that decisively stack the deck in favour of the offender. Still things that can be done in spite of this, but that certainly won't come from this pathetic government that is likely much more interested in balancing out the racial demographics of those incarcerated then actually protecting the public.
I’ve been watching the Mindhunter series on Netflix recently. It’s set in the late 70’s/early 80’s and it’s about the creation of the BAU unit of the FBI. It illustrates perfectly how we’ve gotten to where we are today in regards to how we treat violent offenders. I’d recommend watching it if you haven’t already.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
I’ve been watching the Mindhunter series on Netflix recently. It’s set in the late 70’s/early 80’s and it’s about the creation of the BAU unit of the FBI. It illustrates perfectly how we’ve gotten to where we are today in regards to how we treat violent offenders. I’d recommend watching it if you haven’t already.
Sounds interesting, will have to check it out, thanks

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I concur. Enjoyed it myself.

Reactions: rboomercat90

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad