OT: One More Off Topic Off Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Fire truck was a popular career choice of many 5 year olds!
Yeah it was. I'm trying to suss out whether it was an early era meme that maybe came from some program or book or kids book. Like a puncline. What do you wanna be? A firetruck. I picked it too. Leads me to think this must've been on some program, cartoon. Its so common back then for boys to have said this.

I know the Simpsons captured this meme but that was decades later. Must've been something about it in the 60s.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

Edison Medicine, Zeus Juice, Ride the Lightning soundtrack and of course the Microsoft shut down theme...:laugh:

Funny as it is thats a dangerous spot to use a taser and the guy almost smashed his head wide open landing on steel. That one would be reviewed.

not condoning the actions at all of the culprit. But tasers are supposed to be used safely.

The guy should be arrested, but this was potentially much more than that. That could be lethal smashing your head on a bar or steel pipe.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Funny as it is thats a dangerous spot to use a taser and the guy almost smashed his head wide open landing on steel. That one would be reviewed.

not condoning the actions at all of the culprit. But tasers are supposed to be used safely.

The guy should be arrested, but this was potentially much more than that. That could be lethal smashing your head on a bar or steel pipe.

My response; FAFO. Especially with the Boys in Blue.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
For sure not defending the offender. Cannot understand the actions of the perp. High?

Still. Regs around tasers are fairly tight and not whats seen in Hangover. ;)

"Right in the head"

Regs are: when police are threatened with a dangerous situation to use the taser instead of the lead body piercing device.

When people get tazed they stiffen up into a board and go down, usually face first, onto a hard vertical surface.

All part of the FAFO algorithm.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Yeah it was. I'm trying to suss out whether it was an early era meme that maybe came from some program or book or kids book. Like a puncline. What do you wanna be? A firetruck. I picked it too. Leads me to think this must've been on some program, cartoon. Its so common back then for boys to have said this.

I know the Simpsons captured this meme but that was decades later. Must've been something about it in the 60s.
Think the boys all had the same guidance counselling?

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Think the boys all had the same guidance counselling?
It wasn't a thing. It was being sent to the office and a strap. That was the guidance offered in Elementary. That and Catholic School System nuns rapping your knuckles with yardsticks. haha. I sound like a criminal but that was the nature of student guidance in the 60s. Corporal punishment.

I went on an aside there. hehe

First "school or guidance counsellor I ever saw was at Highschool. My elementary or Junior High schools never had any.

joking aside things were so backwards. Aptitude testing and such should be made available to kids earlier on. Hopefully now they are.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

I’m wondering if maybe we’re putting too much thought into this. In my case I knew I was on tv, was very nervous and I panicked and said the wrong word. I didn’t want to be a fire truck, I wanted to be a fireman. What 5 year old boy didn’t back then? It was one of the coolest and most heroic jobs for a young boy. Probably similar circumstances for most of us boys back then, not necessarily being on tv but talking to adults we didn’t know very well. They’d ask us a question in front of a group of people, put us on the spot and we’d clam up and blurt out the first thing that popped into our heads, usually not what we meant to say. Girls developed quicker than boys socially so for the most part it was just us guys saying the dumb things when we were first sent to school.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Ok. This is getting weird. An old High school/college roommate friend said the exact the same thing on that show, he told me years ago (1970s).
This happened all the time. It is a running joke for my wife and I. Little girls wanted to be a nurse or a teacher while little boys wanted to be a fire truck. Just goes to show you why I think women should be the only people allowed to vote.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
This happened all the time. It is a running joke for my wife and I. Little girls wanted to be a nurse or a teacher while little boys wanted to be a fire truck. Just goes to show you why I think women should be the only people allowed to vote.
Guilty your honour.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
…They’d ask us a question in front of a group of people, put us on the spot and we’d clam up and blurt out the first thing that popped into our heads, usually not what we meant to say. Girls developed quicker than boys socially so for the most part it was just us guys saying the dumb things when we were first sent to university.

Fixed

• Haha

PositiveCashFlow

the construction could be better
Jul 10, 2007
1723854103574.png

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Have you ever stayed there? The rooms are so small you can’t change your mind in them.

Beautiful lounge though!!

The Mac isn’t much different.
The smallest room I've ever stayed in was at one of the Microtel's for a hockey tourney. Price was fine, but should have figured from the name that everything would be compact. It was like it was made for kids. Definitely not for 3 adults.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I’m wondering if maybe we’re putting too much thought into this. In my case I knew I was on tv, was very nervous and I panicked and said the wrong word. I didn’t want to be a fire truck, I wanted to be a fireman. What 5 year old boy didn’t back then? It was one of the coolest and most heroic jobs for a young boy. Probably similar circumstances for most of us boys back then, not necessarily being on tv but talking to adults we didn’t know very well. They’d ask us a question in front of a group of people, put us on the spot and we’d clam up and blurt out the first thing that popped into our heads, usually not what we meant to say. Girls developed quicker than boys socially so for the most part it was just us guys saying the dumb things when we were first sent to school.
Hey…. This is HFB Oil. We over analyze EVERYTHING.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Nothing should happen.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Have you ever stayed there? The rooms are so small you can’t change your mind in them.

Beautiful lounge though!!

The Mac isn’t much different.
Stayed at the Mac's sister in Calgary, and yes, the rooms are tiny. But that Edmonton lounge and the outdoor patio.....wow. And the huge pic of the dads of confederation is amazing!

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad