OT: One More Off Topic Off Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
You're a legend at random posts that you forget you made the day after the night before. ;)

driving 26 hours from London England to Lublin Poland--lets see how you sense of up from down is

Fact is that I play characters in their 30s. Im that youngish looking. :)

I actually cut about 8 inches from my hair last week (lost the pony tail) and a lot of the grey hair.

I’m like Rocket Richard now, I kept a touch of grey, because my wife likes it that way ! (Only Boomers are gonna remember that commercial).

Will you be anywhere near Kielce? That is my mom’s birthplace.
2 hours south of me--I am in Warsaw right now

Reactions: brentashton

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
You gotta know who Captain Kangaroo was. You’re in the right age group.
Never saw it once and NOT the age group. To me something like that would play to only preschoolers or maybe pre age 10. We didn't get cable till I was 11 and of course by then no interest in that sort of childrens programming.

I'd graduated to Gilligans Island and looking at MariyAnne and Ginger by then. heh I dream of Jeanie was another must see. Oh look, genie is out of the bottle..

Conversely I did know Mr Dressup and the Friendly Giant because they were on Canadian airwaves when I was a preschooler.

Reactions: oilers'72

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Never saw it once and NOT the age group. To me something like that would play to only preschoolers or maybe pre age 10. We didn't get cable till I was 11 and of course by then no interest in that sort of childrens programming.

I'd graduated to Gilligans Island and looking at MariyAnne and Ginger by then. heh I dream of Jeanie was another must see. Oh look, genie is out of the bottle..

Conversely I did know Mr Dressup and the Friendly Giant because they were on Canadian airwaves when I was a preschooler.
Er, that’s not a genie sir….

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

Of course you were in the correct age group. Captain Kangaroo debuted in 1955 and Romper Room even earlier in 1953. They were on CBC or CTV because we didn’t have cable when I was a kid either and I watched them in the early 70’s living here in Edmonton. You’ve probably just blocked out the trauma they caused you.;)

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Of course you were in the correct age group. Captain Kangaroo debuted in 1955 and Romper Room even earlier in 1953. They were on CBC or CTV because we didn’t have cable when I was a kid either and I watched them in the early 70’s living here in Edmonton. You’ve probably just blocked out the trauma they caused you.;)
Maybe he was locked in on Chez Helen and that older French gal thing…?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Was it on here? Never watched Romper Room either. Never would.

Not sure but even as a kid I was a night owl. To bed late and rise late, anytime I could. No way I was watching early morn TV. Maybe it has to do with routine and such. In our house we had bedrooms upstairs and rec room down stairs. We only had one TV, in the rec room and weren't allowed there before school on weekdays. It was get ready for school or else...On a Saturday I was sleeping in. period.

If people had TV in livingroom maybe this stuff was more available. I wouldn't watch anyway. For me it was the AFTER school programming I preferred.

I'm glad to have avoided the specific trauma. ;)

Reactions: oilers'72

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Was it on here? Never watched Romper Room either. Never would.

Not sure but even as a kid I was a night owl. To bed late and rise late, anytime I could. No way I was watching early morn TV. Maybe it has to do with routine and such. In our house we had bedrooms upstairs and rec room down stairs. We only had one TV, in the rec room and weren't allowed there before school on weekdays. It was get ready for school or else...On a Saturday I was sleeping in. period.

If people had TV in livingroom maybe this stuff was more available. I wouldn't watch anyway. For me it was the AFTER school programming I preferred.

I'm glad to have avoided the specific trauma. ;)
I still shudder thinking about Romper Room. They had a magic mirror that could see all the little boys and girls at home.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Maybe he was locked in on Chez Helen and that older French gal thing…?
It appears I wasn't much of a TV watcher at all as all these references are escaping me. Back then there were 2 channels on and most of it shit really. Too many better things to do as a kid.

My TV watching started in earnest when Cable was installed. For awhile. By the 80's I was back to never watched hardly anything on regular TV. Still like that. Only time period where I watched sitcoms and stuff was 70's. Fortunately they were the best ones ever.

ps Just doing an inventory I only watched subversive type stuff. Batman, Lost in Space. Wayne and Shuster specials. Flintstones (really was satire) Get Smart. Munsters. That sort of thing. Kids programming never really did it for me.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I still shudder thinking about Romper Room. They had a magic mirror that could see all the little boys and girls at home.
For sure I would've broke that mirror! I do remember hearing about the program from some kids. Usually girls. Seemed like a cult.

Just so I have the bases covered never saw Mr Rogers either. Well not purposely. The guy seemed weird by miles.

My parents forced me to be on Popcorn Playhouse. haha. That didn't go well. That was really my first ban.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Were you mean to Klondike Eric?
I could swear like a sailor by age 5. My parents taught me well. I would pick up every swear word my parents ever said. The list was enormous.

They must've imported the well behaved kids to be on that show. All the kids I knew in good ol Jasper Place used to swear like pirates. Our schools were special. Just saying.

I remember my mom having to go to school to Parent Teacher night during grade 1. She was made to explain how I'd obtained such a healthy vocabulary at such a young tender age.

I couldn't sit for a week after mom got home. That said the teacher and principal told my mom to not ever come back. She was a live wire. At least they found out where I got juicy language from. Good thing they never met dad. haha

Eric was about as grouchy as Jim Matheson. Or at least young me thought so. Some of these people were different off camera than they were on camera. I'm like is this guy supposed to be pinching ears during commercials?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
For sure I would've broke that mirror! I do remember hearing about the program from some kids. Usually girls. Seemed like a cult.

Just so I have the bases covered never saw Mr Rogers either. Well not purposely. The guy seemed weird by miles.

My parents forced me to be on Popcorn Playhouse. haha. That didn't go well. That was really my first ban.
Haha. I was on popcorn playhouse when I was 4 or 5. I choked when Eric Neville asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up and said a fire truck.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Haha. I was on popcorn playhouse when I was 4 or 5. I choked when Eric Neville asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up and said a fire truck.
Haha. I was interned back to my parents before Neville got to me. People watching at home think its like 20mins or something. I was a kid used to zero sit down structure. Didn't go to school or ANY organized activity till grade one.

I was loaded with ADHD and the concept of sitting down for 1.5hrs and "behaving" was fairly foreign. I remember them coaching us to sit still, not fight, not squirm, "stay in our space" not get out of our seats,(wooden bench) not run around, not stick gum in girls hair and I'm like what are we supposed to do?

I was 5. They erased almost all tapes of the show. Would've been cool to look back. Or maybe not..

I think I got pulled out halfway through. Didn't get to dig for gold, didn't pass Go and get 200bucks.

ps holy crap. I said the firetruck line in school. Where'd we get that from?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
IMG_5828.jpeg

I didn’t know Calgary was in America!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad