Olli Määttä

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

penguins2946*

I'm thinking he could become a decent #1 (somewhere around Phaneuf's level), but I think it's more likely that he becomes a good #2. Despres, Letang, Maatta and Pouliot basically guarantee that we will never have to sign a top-4 D for a long time.

I actually think Niskanen has priced himself out of Pittsburgh, because he has been excellent this year. He's gone after the year, even if we don't trade him. I don't think Bortuzzo will be around for long, mainly because he's not that good. Engelland could get a decent payday from a team that needs grit, and Orpik could get a MASSIVE payday from a team that wants a veteran top-4 D. There's a distinct possibility that we will only have 5 D at the start of free agency next year.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Errey says lots of things, most only distinguishable by the extent of their stupidity, not whether or not they're stupid.

End of discussion where Errey is concerned. So much knob polishing by Root these days it's getting hard to take. Back to my old habit of watching the other team's broadcast whenever possible. That includes Jack Edwards (yah I said it! I'd rather listen to "A-Frame" Edwards than Tweedle Doofus and Tweedle Dumbass any day -- even Detroit's Announcers did a superior job last night as compared to our two homer idiots). While they're not the most ignorant duo in the league (reserved for southern announcers), Errey and Steigy are arguably in the running for biggest homers / biggest BS artists.

They're ****ing useless but apparently a segment of Pittsburgh thinks they're "funny". I'm not sure what that stays in the big picture but to me funny is someone who is a) intending to be funny, and b) funny at least 50% of the time. Saying off the wall, wacky **** that is so inane it makes people laugh (6 or 7 games out of 82) does not qualify them as "funny".

As for Maatta, he's kicking butt and I'm happy for the kid but comparing him to arguably the greatest defender of all time (or certainly one of the top 3 or 4) after less than half of one season and zero playoff performances? WTF is wrong with this guy? No other announcer in the league would utter the words "Lidstrom" and "Maatta" in the same sentence, for a a variety of good reasons, all of which are self-evident at this stage in Oli's career. Next he's going to tell us Megna reminds him of Joe Sakic (*looks for the next Colorado game on the schedule*).

Last edited:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
End of discussion where Errey is concerned. So much knob polishing by Root these days it's getting hard to take. Back to my old habit of watching the other team's broadcast whenever possible. That includes Jack Edwards (yah I said it! I'd rather listen to "A-Frame" Edwards than Tweedle Doofus and Tweedle Dumbass any day -- even Detroit's Announcers did a superior job last night as compared to our two homer idiots). While they're not the most ignorant duo in the league (reserved for southern announcers), Errey and Steigy are arguably in the running for biggest homers / biggest BS artists.

They're ****ing useless but apparently a segment of Pittsburgh thinks they're "funny". I'm not sure what that stays in the big picture but to me funny is someone who is a) intending to be funny, and b) funny at least 50% of the time. Saying off the wall, wacky **** that is so inane it makes people laugh (6 or 7 games out of 82) does not qualify them as "funny".

LIGHTEN UP!

:)

I find two drunk guys funny. Although, just to be clear, I like Errey, not Steigerwald. I don't like his play-by-play, and if he gets one more player wrong (Zatkoff = Fleury for a period the last two Zatkoff starts)...

And regardless, I prefer them to opposing broadcasts 99% of the time. Yes, they are homers, but so is every other team broadcast, and I'd rather suffer through mine than someone else's

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
LIGHTEN UP!

:)

I find two drunk guys funny. Although, just to be clear, I like Errey, not Steigerwald. I don't like his play-by-play, and if he gets one more player wrong (Zatkoff = Fleury for a period the last two Zatkoff starts)...

And regardless, I prefer them to opposing broadcasts 99% of the time. Yes, they are homers, but so is every other team broadcast, and I'd rather suffer through mine than someone else's

Yes but I have lofty standards that I like to apply. For example: if I think to myself "what the **** is this guy talking about??" 3-4x per game... and I say "hey that's interesting / pretty cool / surprising ... i didn't know that!" 3-4 times per season, I determine this is an announcer I'm better off not listening to.

Also I've seen a lot of drunk people in my time. 95% of them are not funny by any legitimate definition of the word. ;) Occasionally you run into that "life of the party" person who just cracks everyone up when they drink... and sometimes you get the "that guy's funny when he lets his guard down and starts drinking / telling everyone what he really thinks" person... but Errey and Steigerwald are neither of those people.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Nothing annoys me more than a Pens player getting the puck knocked off their stick, it flying to another Pens' stick, and it becoming a pass in Steigys mind.

Does he ever rewatch a broadcast? Does he sit there, hearing himself completely lose track of the play and misrepresent or get a play or player completely wrong, and think "I'm doing a great job?" Seriously? There's zero accountability in this organization and goes all the way to the ANNOUNCERS. The PD never knocks on the booth's door and says you're ****ing up nonstop right now? Get it together? As long as the ratings are high and people are in the stands everything's going great.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Speaking of Scandanavia, why does Norway suck at hockey? With as many players as Sweden and Finland turn out, you'd think Norway would at least have a few decent NHL players.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Maatta will never score enough to be a legit #1 IMHO, but he's so smart on the puck and rarely makes the wrong read at 19 years old. I watch a guy like Letang, who is so physically gifted but so often makes a dumb read with the puck or terrible pass in all 3 zones. Maatta has rarely done that.

OM will be a very good #2, somebody who can play both PP and PK minutes and log 25 MPG eventually.

Farnham4top6

Despres #1D
Mar 6, 2011
north of you
Speaking of Scandanavia, why does Norway suck at hockey? With as many players as Sweden and Finland turn out, you'd think Norway would at least have a few decent NHL players.

The best Norwegian hockey teams are about as good as Swedish third league teams.
Hockey is a minor sport in Norway.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011

Seriously. Norway is extremely rich, cold climate and shares borders with big hockey countries in Sweden and Finland. It'd seem like the perfect country to have a high per capita of population to NHL players.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam

It just never stuck in Norway really. Skiing is much bigger there and there really isn't many places to play hockey. I lived there for a year and only saw one ice rink the whole time. It's easier for the few Norwegian hockey players to just go to the SEL or FEL.

It's kind of the same in Denmark really, seems like Denmark should be at least decent in hockey but Football is much bigger here. Granted there are some good Danish NHLers, but not as many as may be expected.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Seriously. Norway is extremely rich, cold climate and shares borders with big hockey countries in Sweden and Finland. It'd seem like the perfect country to have a high per capita of population to NHL players.

Yah I've often wondered the same thing. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Possibly it's a cultural thing / pride thing, trying to differentiate themselves or something. Who knows. The Norwegians are definitely skiers though, not hockey players. Maybe they are afraid... like Jobu's bats.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Appreciate your input, thanks!! I am so happy he is where he is, simply because he did earn his roster spot and is a quality guy and I do want him to suceed in the NHL, but in order to get to that "impact defensemen" calibre, I think he needs to come back to London. He will be that top 4 defensemen for the Penguins soon enough, but not right now....However, the Knights are decimated without him and Nikita Zadorov, and we could be almost be guaranteed a Memorial Cup if Maatta and Zadorov return. I know that doesn't matter to you Pens fans, but if you want him to be that top calibre defensemen of the future, I would send him back, where he will get more responsibility in every situation and Dale Hunter will have him ready for the Penguins next year.....Again, not "completely" speaking as a Knights fan, but Dale Hunter has a knack for developing quality defensemen, so he'll be ready next year.

He needed to make the next step. He is well beyond the junior leagues and can handle NHL players (now). The difference in competition truly trumps the 3-4 extra minutes / game that he would get with the Knights IMO. Pens are not afraid to send him out against ANYBODY now.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Yah I've often wondered the same thing. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Possibly it's a cultural thing / pride thing, trying to differentiate themselves or something. Who knows. The Norwegians are definitely skiers though, not hockey players. Maybe they are afraid... like Jobu's bats.

Name a pro hockey team/league in Norway without using Google...There's your answer.

trooper66

Jun 28, 2008
Alberta

As for Maatta, he's kicking butt and I'm happy for the kid but comparing him to arguably the greatest defender of all time (or certainly one of the top 3 or 4) after less than half of one season and zero playoff performances? WTF is wrong with this guy? No other announcer in the league would utter the words "Lidstrom" and "Maatta" in the same sentence, for a a variety of good reasons, all of which are self-evident at this stage in Oli's career. Next he's going to tell us Megna reminds him of Joe Sakic (*looks for the next Colorado game on the schedule*).

Ya really, what the ****! Could not agree with this more. I think they are ****ing nuts

zidell*

Only northern Finland is part of the Scandinavian peninsula but I think most people consider Finland part of the Scandinavia...

By most people you apparently mean most ignorant people. Anyone who has studied linguistics has learned that the Finns speak a language completely unrelated to the Swedish, Danish or Norwegian or any other known language, although it has some similarities to Hungarian. They have a completely different origin from Nordic people, but their roots are a mystery. As has already been stated, the Nordic people certainly don't consider Finns to be Nordic. And they should know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
By most people you apparently mean most ignorant people. Anyone who has studied linguistics has learned that the Finns speak a language completely unrelated to the Swedish, Danish or Norwegian or any other known language, although it has some similarities to Hungarian. They have a completely different origin from Nordic people, but their roots are a mystery. As has already been stated, the Nordic people certainly don't consider Finns to be Nordic. And they should know.

Aren't you a ray of sunshine! Perhaps you would want to be correct when being this bombastic...

Being Danish, Finland is certainly considered one of the Nordic countries. I should know as I used to live a stone throw from the HQ of the Nordic Council in Copenhagen.
Geographically Finland's Northern part is on the Scandinavian Peninsula, but it isn't Scandinavian in its original cultural sense, nor as you point out as regards language which is of course a main identifier of culture to begin with. But Nordic, sure.

2A18

Feb 2, 2013
As has already been stated, the Nordic people certainly don't consider Finns to be Nordic. And they should know.

Wow, that's totally idiotic claim. Anyone who has studied linguistics should also know that there are several other languages related to Finnish other than Hungarian. But as you know better, could you kindly point us to some sources where the Nordic people clearly claim that the Finns aren't nordic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad