Olli Määttä

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

penguins2946*

Check Yohe's twitter history, pretty sure he tweeted last year's record with him last year last week (that is going into the sentence hall of fame).

It's a ridiculously good record with him in the lineup

That's actually true, the Pens record with Despres in the lineup is fantastic. According to Hockey Reference, the Pens are 31-7 in the 38 games Despres has played in since the start of the 12-13 season (including playoffs). Without him, they are 30-20-2 (including playoffs).

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
someone once mentioned that maata is comparable to kenny jonsson. i've always liked that comparison best.

quiet, poised, smart, not overly physical, not overly offensive, but positionally excellent with an expansive hockey sense.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
When Despres made that deke coming out of his own zone against TB that had the crowd oohing and ahhing I pictured him skating back to the bench and Bylsma going, "nice deke Elmer, don't ever ****in' do it again."

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
When Despres made that deke coming out of his own zone against TB that had the crowd oohing and ahhing I pictured him skating back to the bench and Bylsma going, "nice deke Elmer, don't ever ****in' do it again."

:laugh:

I love that scene

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

meanwhile, Orpik could just give the puck away for no reason, turn around and block a shot that never should have happened if he hadn't turned the puck over. When he gets back to the bench Dan would compliment his shot blocking.

penguins2946*

meanwhile, Orpik could just give the puck away for no reason, turn around and block a shot that never should have happened if he hadn't turned the puck over. When he gets back to the bench Dan would compliment his shot block.

Orpik could go to center ice and take a **** and Bylsma would complement his diet.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
As much as I like Matta and am excited about his future with this team I don't feel like other teams have focused on what he does poorly like they have done against Letang. I'm guessing once there gets to be more tape on the guy and other teams start seeing him as a factor they may look to attack any weaknesses they might find and then we'll get to see how good he really is. I'm not sure what his weaknesses are at this point. So far he looks really solid but I haven't really noticed other teams going out of their way to hit him and wear him down, like they do Letang, either.

Well, that's just wrong. The thing that makes Maatta great is that he really doesn't have any weaknesses. Fine: he can't skate as well as Duncan Keith, and he doesn't hit as hard as Shea Weber. But in virtually all other respects, he's extremely well rounded, and the most well rounded of any of our young Dmen. Sure, he'll improve over time, which means he'll just get that much better. He's maybe not quite as exceptional or advanced as Jonas Brodin, but he's very close and very similar in terms of impact and being able to step in and play a pretty complete game. He's only going to get better and better, especially with his work ethic and commitment to the game, on and off the ice.

Indeed, Despres, Dumoulin and Harrington are all REALLY good players. The fact that Maatta stepped in and earned a spot over them has nothing to do with not being able to be sent to the AHL. He outplayed each of them, and that's really a huge complement and indication of just how good he is as a player, considering he outplayed some really high-end defense prospects.

Hophog

Aug 7, 2006
Hershey, PA
Well, that's just wrong. The thing that makes Maatta great is that he really doesn't have any weaknesses. Fine: he can't skate as well as Duncan Keith, and he doesn't hit as hard as Shea Weber. But in virtually all other respects, he's extremely well rounded, and the most well rounded of any of our young Dmen. Sure, he'll improve over time, which means he'll just get that much better. He's maybe not quite as exceptional or advanced as Jonas Brodin, but he's very close and very similar in terms of impact and being able to step in and play a pretty complete game. He's only going to get better and better, especially with his work ethic and commitment to the game, on and off the ice.

Indeed, Despres, Dumoulin and Harrington are all REALLY good players. The fact that Maatta stepped in and earned a spot over them has nothing to do with not being able to be sent to the AHL. He outplayed each of them, and that's really a huge complement and indication of just how good he is as a player, considering he outplayed some really high-end defense prospects.

I agree his game looks well rounded so far and pretty much say so in my post. My point is that I don't think he's been around long enough to really develop any obvious tendencies or that he has been important enough, at this point, for other coaches to really concern themselves with him. If he takes over a regular 1 or 2 spot I'd expect that to change. Coaches will have more reason to look for any weaknesses with an eye toward exploiting them. I'm not saying he has weaknesses and, being a Pens fan, I hope he doesn't.

Obviously he's playing well beyond any expectations for someone his age but it's premature to say that he doesn't have any weaknesses in his game. It may just be that we don't know what they are yet because no team has focused on finding and attacking them.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
If Maatta's play in juniors is any indication, he won't have trouble handling added physical attention. It might take some time, because obviously the NHL is a lot different from the OHL, but he's been a target in a few of London's recent playoff series and he never flinched.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
If Maatta's play in juniors is any indication, he won't have trouble handling added physical attention. It might take some time, because obviously the NHL is a lot different from the OHL, but he's been a target in a few of London's recent playoff series and he never flinched.

That's the most impressive thing with Maatta. He doesn't flinch. No matter how it's going out there, he keeps it cool.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
-2 tonight in a 3-2 loss. How did he play?

Any chance he's released for WJC?

Binary Code

How do I change that
Aug 22, 2013
Delirium
But if Martin and Scuderi are healty before December 25th, any chances he get loan or does Bylsma locked Maatta on his team ?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Letang wasn't even on the ice for one of those 'minuses.' So no, both of them did not have more to do with him.

as much as Letang gets blamed for everything, Maatta is teflon, NOTHING sticks to him.

He had a horrible turnover that led to Chara ringing one off the post with 2 minutes left. I was the only one who said anything about it. Maatta could score in his own net (on purpose, with a shot) and people would blame it on someone/something else.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
as much as Letang gets blamed for everything, Maatta is teflon, NOTHING sticks to him.

He had a horrible turnover that led to Chara ringing one off the post with 2 minutes left. I was the only one who said anything about it. Maatta could score in his own net (on purpose, with a shot) and people would blame it on someone/something else.

I've noticed. After his first 9 games, Maatta was a bit inconsistent for the following 6 or 7. No one really mentions it, yet people still knock Despres for being inconsistent from time to time.

Karnage420*

still have no clue why we let this kid stay up.

he was below average today against the only team that matters.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Maatta, as expected, will have ups and downs. I don't think however he should be playing in every game this season, even if healthy, which is to me the way things are trending. Especially if he goes to the Olympics.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Maatta, as expected, will have ups and downs. I don't think however he should be playing in every game this season, even if healthy, which is to me the way things are trending. Especially if he goes to the Olympics.

I hope no one takes my criticism of the lack of criticism as me not liking Maatta. I do, a lot. He's very good. He's going to be great. But reading the majority of posts on this board, you'd think he was in line for a Norris in the next 3 years. He's made quite a few mistakes. He wasn't particularly good last night. It happens. But we need to be honest about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad