Olli Määttä

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I hope no one takes my criticism of the lack of criticism as me not liking Maatta. I do, a lot. He's very good. He's going to be great. But reading the majority of posts on this board, you'd think he was in line for a Norris in the next 3 years. He's made quite a few mistakes. He wasn't particularly good last night. It happens. But we need to be honest about it.

Yeah, I'm agreeing with that -- which is why I'm saying taking a night off every once in a while would probably only help him at this point in his career. I'd say I don't know why management isn't doing this, but, considering the source...

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Yeah, I'm agreeing with that -- which is why I'm saying taking a night off every once in a while would probably only help him at this point in his career. I'd say I don't know why management isn't doing this, but, considering the source...

yea, Reily in Toronto is sitting every once in a while. It's not portrayed as a bad thing here.

Obviously you can't sit Maatta right this moment, because of the injuries, but some nights off in December/January when/if Scuderi/Martin/Orpik return should be OK

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
Without that big break in the middle of the season, the kid could wear down - played 88 games last season, and if he plays on the national team as seems likely, he would have exceeded that already heading into the playoffs, assuming no injury time off.

I admit to seeing a weekly scratch as a good
thing for Maatta, as everyone Finnish seams to assume he's 3rd pair at least on the Olympic team. He should sit out 8 or 10 games once we get healthy again, should help with getting Depres on the ice too.

That's assuming no trades from D, which may happen because you know having 9 NHL ready D is one of Shero's benchmarks heading into the playoffs. I really hope one of the kids down in WBS gets a chance to play and distinguishes themselves so Shero will trade Nisky, who in my eyes has been playing so well, and so consistently, his percieved value just has to of gone up with rival GM's.

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
Obviously you can't sit Maatta right this moment, because of the injuries, but some nights off in December/January when/if Scuderi/Martin/Orpik return should be OK

The question is, can you trust Bylsma to reinsert him into the lineup once he scratched him?

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
I am from London, watched him play for a few years now and he is just a very smart player, has a dandy shot and really safe two way dman with a big shot for the PP. You guys have a couple of beauties coming up with Harrington and Maatta. Maatta has a higher ceiling I think but Harrington will be a very steady, stay at home guy. Not sure that I would compare him to Lidstrom quite yet but maybe to someone like Erhoff is a good comparable.

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
I am from London, watched him play for a few years now and he is just a very smart player, has a dandy shot and really safe two way dman with a big shot for the PP. You guys have a couple of beauties coming up with Harrington and Maatta. Maatta has a higher ceiling I think but Harrington will be a very steady, stay at home guy. Not sure that I would compare him to Lidstrom quite yet but maybe to someone like Erhoff is a good comparable.

Thanks!

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Errey says lots of things, most only distinguishable by the extent of their stupidity, not whether or not they're stupid.

So much truth in this statement. I actually facepalmed when Errey mentioned Lidstrom.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
So much truth in this statement. I actually facepalmed when Errey mentioned Lidstrom.

I get it right once in a while . . . *

* Couldn't find a smilie for 'tries to find a brave face while trying not to think the worst about what could be wrong with Geno'.

KHstrike

Apr 23, 2012
Ridiculously high hockey IQ is difficult to determine a ceiling for. I think he's going to be a great player.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Every single young Scandinavian defenseman who shows a good degree of skill and composure on the blueline is going to be compared to Lidstrom at one time or other.

People will usually reach for the best and most widely known example of anything when making a comparison, especially off the top of their heads.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Every single young Scandinavian defenseman who shows a good degree of skill and composure on the blueline is going to be compared to Lidstrom at one time or other.

People will usually reach for the best and most widely known example of anything when making a comparison, especially off the top of their heads.

I think people take it WAY too literal. Maatta does have striking similarities to a young Lidstrom. Good skating, plays a very cerebral game, uses his stick incredibly well along with body position. He's a jack of all trades type defenseman who brings a well balanced skill set from the back end. The huge disparity between Maatta and Lidstrom is offensive ability as I don't ever see Maatta coming close to Lidstrom's point totals.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I think people take it WAY too literal. Maatta does have striking similarities to a young Lidstrom. Good skating, plays a very cerebral game, uses his stick incredibly well along with body position. He's a jack of all trades type defenseman who brings a well balanced skill set from the back end. The huge disparity between Maatta and Lidstrom is offensive ability as I don't ever see Maatta coming close to Lidstrom's point totals.
Agreed. It's not like Errey said Maatta was as good or will become as good as Lidstrom. All he said was he does certain things out there that remind him of Lidstrom at times. He specifically mentioned how Maatta always has his head up.

Farnham4top6

Despres #1D
Mar 6, 2011
north of you

Määtta isn't Scandinavian and a good comparable in my mind is toni lydman.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
If he reaches his potential then i could see him ending as similar player as Teppo Numminen.

Remix

Oct 22, 2013
Määtta isn't Scandinavian and a good comparable in my mind is toni lydman.

Only northern Finland is part of the Scandinavian peninsula but I think most people consider Finland part of the Scandinavia...

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
I don't think many know his ceiling until we start seeing him on the PP on a regular basis. Lindstrom was a generational PP defenseman, even up to his retirement. Lindstrom also played with an elite Rafalski too.

IMO, Olli has a head near Lindstrom, but he's nowhere close in the hands or passing department. The best we can hope for is that he improves every year and doesn't Tyler Myers on us. I am anxious to see Letang and him on the PP, or Poulliot/Letang in the future. Pens will have a top PP for a LONG time with those guys on D.

One thing I forgot to add is that Maatta doesn't seem to get hit much at all on puck retrievals. He is very shifty so I hope that leads to durability back there. I can't even remember him taking a big hit this year (doesn't mean it didn't happen though with the handful of games I missed).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad