Olli Määttä

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I'm extremely impressed with Maatta's play even through the last 9 games.

I think a lot of people aren't considering the Pens overall have not looked good in the past few weeks and it's probably affected Maatta as well. Individually I think he's been outstanding. I've been really impressed with his decision making and defensive play.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I'm extremely impressed with Maatta's play even through the last 9 games.

I think a lot of people aren't considering the Pens overall have not looked good in the past few weeks and it's probably affected Maatta as well. Individually I think he's been outstanding. I've been really impressed with his decision making and defensive play.

Given his dedication & work ethic, the mentors/veterans/coaches he can learn from, and the amount of improvement Olli made from the beginning to the end of last season, I believe he's fully capable of adjusting to the higher level of competition and raise his game accordingly. While I do expect some up & down nights or weeks throughout the season, I think there will be a gradual and overall steady improvement in his play from beginning to end.

I'm sure if he sticks with us throughout the season, he will be a considerably better player at the end of it than he is now. He doesn't have the inflated ego, complacency or lack of work ethic that would cause him to regress (like a T. Myers or L. Schenn). This kid will have a steady climb upwards, IMO.

tinkezione

Butcher's Dog
Jul 22, 2013
Nicosia, Cyprus
I'm still a bit undecided what the outcome will be at the 40-game mark. GMRS being GMRS probably sends him to minors to save up another UFA year UNLESS Määttä at least maintains his current level of play all through the first half. To be completely honest with you, I was expecting the kid to be okay, but what he's displayed this far is amazing stuff for such a young defenseman. Great poise with the puck, great work ethic and what I love the most is that he is not afraid of trying things and correcting his mistakes immediately. At the end of the day, making mistakes in NHL is the only way to learn to play in NHL.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I'm still a bit undecided what the outcome will be at the 40-game mark. GMRS being GMRS probably sends him to minors to save up another UFA year UNLESS Määttä at least maintains his current level of play all through the first half. To be completely honest with you, I was expecting the kid to be okay, but what he's displayed this far is amazing stuff for such a young defenseman. Great poise with the puck, great work ethic and what I love the most is that he is not afraid of trying things and correcting his mistakes immediately. At the end of the day, making mistakes in NHL is the only way to learn to play in NHL.

Maatta can't be sent to the AHL as far as I know. He has to be sent back to Juniors and that'd be it for him for the rest of the year, I think. If that happens, Despres is likely up then, but hopefully both are up on this team at the same time this year.

tinkezione

Butcher's Dog
Jul 22, 2013
Nicosia, Cyprus
Maatta can't be sent to the AHL as far as I know. He has to be sent back to Juniors and that'd be it for him for the rest of the year, I think. If that happens, Despres is likely up then, but hopefully both are up on this team at the same time this year.

Oops yeah, meant juniors with minors. In case Määttä gets sent to juniors, it will be one long season for him, especially if he gets the call for Sochi. I would assume the same, that Despres gets his call if Määttä gets sent back to juniors.

Contract-wise, that would be a wise long-term move, but if Määttä continues on this level or above, that would be just plain stupid. What I'd like to see would be more PP time for him.

PLEASE NO BYLSMA FACE

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
so DB is going to pair Oli with Letang by the sound of things.

Speaks volumes that how much confidence Blysma has in him, but is pretty sad that Blysma was saying how sound defensively Oli is and that's why he wants to pair him with Letang who has (DB paused to pick his words) "a more offensive skill set".

i.e. our Norris trophy candidate is not sound defensively :cry:

It also may mean that DB has finally realized that Niskanen/Letang are an awful pairing.

not that any of this is news to anyone who has been watching the Pens this year.

Last edited:

RxPens

Oct 7, 2008
Did anyone catch Pierre McGuire's little tidbit regarding Maatta during the Philly game? He mentioned that all Finnish born men must serve 6 months mandatory military service, and that Shero has been in contact with Finnish officials regarding the situation. Im wondering if any of our Finnish faithful might be able to shed some light on the situation for us. How mandatory? Are there age restrictions (ie. How long can it be delayed etc.)?

Might be a long summer (and fall) for Olli...

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Did anyone catch Pierre McGuire's little tidbit regarding Maatta during the Philly game? He mentioned that all Finnish born men must serve 6 months mandatory military service, and that Shero has been in contact with Finnish officials regarding the situation. Im wondering if any of our Finnish faithful might be able to shed some light on the situation for us. How mandatory? Are there age restrictions (ie. How long can it be delayed etc.)?

Might be a long summer (and fall) for Olli...

Empty Netters covered this a couple days ago (before McGuire talked about it on the air, so I kind of have a suspicion as to where McGuire got the idea to talk about it from...):
http://blogs.post-gazette.com/sport...lfill-military-obligation-to-finland-11-11-13

In short, the Finnish Armed Forces works with athletes to make sure they can fulfill their obligations without having to miss games. They don't have to do all 6 months at once, for example.

saskatoon84

Feb 28, 2010
In short, the Finnish Armed Forces works with athletes to make sure they can fulfill their obligations without having to miss games. They don't have to do all 6 months at once, for example.

For Määttä it's going to be something like it was for Mikko Koivu couple years ago. He served like 2 weeks or maybe month during 2 summers mainly doing some PR work for Finnish armed forces.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Thanks TD.

Love the work Mattaa has put in this year and you could really see a push from him in the summer prospects game. He was the best player on the ice in that game... funny that Megs was the 2nd best.

My biggest concern with Mattaa is more about next year. Does he ride the same high he's playing with this year or does he drop a notch? I really, REALLY hope the Pens let him become the good two way player he can be instead of pushing for more offense. IMO a big part of his development since being drafted is that he's stopped forcing plays and has really refined his game. Pushing for more offense could set him back a little.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
How would we rate Maata so far?

Top 4, 5 or 6 dman?
A, B, C?

Does he really still, after the initial awe, belong?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
How would we rate Maata so far?

Top 4, 5 or 6 dman?
A, B, C?

Does he really still, after the initial awe, belong?

He definitely belongs. Last night proved he can hang with an elite team. He was really good against Boston. He is still arriving, but he's already a solid number 5 and is proving he will be a top 4 dman very soon (if he's not already there). He just needs more time.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
He hasn't had a game yet worse than Orpik's or Engelland's or Niskanen's best game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad