Post-Game Talk: Oilers win 2-1

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
As much as I love seeing us win, at this point we need to stop winning, and drop a little lower

why do people like myself get ragged on as not being real fans when complaining about how poor the team is, but it's ok to wish the team loses? how is wishing the Oilers lose being a fan?

I don't understand the attitude you and others have for hoping the oilers lose.
please explain it to me.

a higher draft pick isn't going to help the team, as the last 4 years have shown. getting yet another top pick should be the last thing you'd want.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
This is so stupid :shakehead . You guys complain when we lose and you guys complain when we win so what in gods green earth should they do? we DON"T NEED more 1st overalls we need established players. Thats all. Did Chicago get good by drafting top 5? No. They had two top 5 picks and competent players which they signed, traded for, or drafted in the 2nd-7th round. Geez people get it into your heads. Enough with the stupid top 5 picks

You're making completely different points. We DO need established veterans, but guess what? Nobody is going to give us a #1 dman. A couple extra losses this year won't mean anything in the long run, but it will get us the potential #1 dman. Then, we go hard after some vets in free agency, and trade some of the soft, lazy players like Gagner and Eberle. Or are you not able to see how different of position we'd be in with Jones instead of Nurse?

Bangers

May 31, 2006
why do people like myself get ragged on as not being real fans when complaining about how poor the team is, but it's ok to wish the team loses? how is wishing the Oilers lose being a fan?

please explain it to me.

a higher draft pick isn't going to help the team, as the last 4 years have shown. getting yet another top pick should be the last thing you'd want.

The main reason that I want this team to lose now (ok, I don't exactly want the team to lose, but I don't want them to do well) is to take away MacLowkins's excuse in the offseason that "the team is improving - we saw at the end of the year that with the right goaltending, this team (as constructed by ours truly) is the right fit and we are confident that we are moving in the right direction".

Followed by no changes in management, or moves that would considerably improve the team.

Followed by yet another lost season.

Basically, I want the management team to get sacked. That would be worth far more than adding Ekblad.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

please explain it to me.

I didn't want to get a high draft pick until the season was already screwed.

OEL or Ellis?
Doughty or Schenn?
Alzner or Plante?
E. Johnson or Wishart?
J. Johnson or Lee?

Do you see where I'm going with this?

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Well, if we have to win then I hope the teams ahead of us for the top 5 draft pick also win.

I also agree that we need to clean the rot from the top.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
There were problems today, there always are this team is far from flawless, but they won a close game, battled hard and picked up 5 of 8 points on the road trip. It's very well done.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
I'm fine with the late season success.

It certainly isn't a bad thing to add a prospect like Ritchie or Virtanen, although I really want Bennet or Ekblad.

Honestly, the lower we are in the draft the more likely we are to package the pick for a win now solution, like a top pairing D man, which may actually make us a playoff team.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
You're making completely different points. We DO need established veterans, but guess what? Nobody is going to give us a #1 dman. A couple extra losses this year won't mean anything in the long run, but it will get us the potential #1 dman. Then, we go hard after some vets in free agency, and trade some of the soft, lazy players like Gagner and Eberle. Or are you not able to see how different of position we'd be in with Jones instead of Nurse?

Even if we finished DFL theres no guarantee we get Ekblad. Especially if a team like say Carolina wins the lottery. I say win out the year if we can worst thing that happens is we end up picking 5th and take whoevers left out of Ekblad, Bennett, Reinhart, Draisaitl, Ritchie, heck even Fleury wouldn't be a bad pick there or Dalcolle.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
The main reason that I want this team to lose now (ok, I don't exactly want the team to lose, but I don't want them to do well) is to take away MacLowkins's excuse in the offseason that "the team is improving - we saw at the end of the year that with the right goaltending, this team (as constructed by ours truly) is the right fit and we are confident that we are moving in the right direction".

Followed by no changes in management, or moves that would considerably improve the team.

Followed by yet another lost season.

Basically, I want the management team to get sacked. That would be worth far more than adding Ekblad.

Management isn't getting sacked this year even if were DFL. If we don't do anything over the summer I think you'll get your wish and the management will be run out of town if there not in contention.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site

please explain it to me.

I don't think there's a general consensus here about what's ok to ***** about and what isn't. Let loose man.

Fans want the Oil to draft high so they can get a "can't miss" prospect because if there"s a 1 in a million chance a prospect can tank the Oil will always find a way to draw out their un-greatness.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

OEL picked 6th or Ellis11th?
Doughty picked 2nd or Schenn picked 5th? Also of note Bogo went 3 and Pietrangelo 4 IIRC, chances of us picking lower then 4 are quite slim.
Alzner 5th or Plante15th?
E. Johnson 1st or Wishart16th?
J. Johnson 3rd or Lee 9th?

I see that you can usually get a half decent dman if your picking in the top 5. I'd have no problem if we ended up taking Fleury if we missed out on Ekblad. Although I think we would be better off taking a center or Ritchie this year and look to add one of Kylington, Hanifin, Werenski, and Pilon next year depending where we end up drafting. I don't see us in the playoffs but could see us picking around 7-10 comparable to last year where most of those guys should still be on the board.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
It has to be good for team morale to try and win as many games as possible. Like others have said, a top five d-man from the draft won't be making a substantial impact until two or three years down the road. We have to look for trades and FA signings to shore up the D. It would be great if we could land a high profile Centre that could take the load off of RNH for a bit, but one can only dream (Spezza would have been awesome). We're probably stuck with Gagner-RNH down the middle and probably won't make any significant D-man acquisitions.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
It sucks but the Oilers landed a few first overall picks in putrid NHL Drafts.

Disagree. Hall was a great pick, you cannot even try to dispute that.

The other two....maybe not a special draft, but where we picked we still got good players.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
It is nice to have 2 games in a row where we allow 1 goal. I know it's the East but still a good sign.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Disagree. Hall was a great pick, you cannot even try to dispute that.

The other two....maybe not a special draft, but where we picked we still got good players.

When I'm talking about the putrid drafts,I'm speaking of the RNH and Yakupov drafts.

I agree 100% with Taylor Hall.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced

OEL or Ellis?
Doughty or Schenn?
Alzner or Plante?
E. Johnson or Wishart?
J. Johnson or Lee?

Speculation.
We can all prattle off second round and later gem picks too.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
I can't believe people were upset when we acquired Hendricks. My lord is he making a lot of people look like idiots. He's exactly the type of player that we need more of.

Also props to Yak for jumping in when Hendricks got double teamed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad