Post-Game Talk: Oilers win 2-1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Oilers can very well likely pick Ekblad with the 2nd overall pick.

Buffalo will probably pick Reinhart first overall.

The Oilers won't get much for that offer.

I doubt they are picking no.2 overall. NYI and Florida are worse, Oilers will pick 4th most likely. I'm ok with a Michael Dal Colle to be honest. We need a power forward top six almost as bad as another d-man.

Sethis

May 9, 2004
Edmonton after the next 3 easy games will have the hardest games out of the lottery teams to finish the season.

Sharks X2
Anaheim x3
Kings
Avs
Rangers
Canucks

No way we drop to 5th

Preds
Sabres
Flames
Sharks
Ducks
Rangers
Sharks
Ducks
Coyotes
Ducks
Avs
Kings
Canucks

I see 5-7 wins, if we're lucky. We really are looking at the Murderers' Row. I'm cool with ending off the season with 'exciting last place hockey' as long as the beasts in California don't completely break our will.

I really want Ekblad.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
I doubt they are picking no.2 overall. NYI and Florida are worse, Oilers will pick 4th most likely. I'm ok with a Michael Dal Colle to be honest. We need a power forward top six almost as bad as another d-man.

All other teams have a much easier schedule than us to finish this season off.Odds are that because of our harder schedule,that we'll finish 2nd last.

The Oilers need a Defenseman more than anything else.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Yeah. I'll take the wins, we're not going to be getting them in the near future. I'm pretty sure we'll finish 3rd worst.

We can dream, can't we?

Buffalo - Sam Reinhart
Florida - Sam Bennett
Edmonton - Aaron Ekblad

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
All other teams have a much easier schedule than us to finish this season off.Odds are that because of our harder schedule,that we'll finish 2nd last.

The Oilers need a Defenseman more than anything else.

A lot of the top teams are not going to be playing at 100% during the last 10 games of the season, with goaltending the Oilers will probably eek out some points.

Even Calgary really is only 4 points separating us, if they had won last night and we had lost today, I'd say we are picking ahead of them, but now if we win our game against them on Saturday, that's still an open question.

oilz89*

As much as I love seeing us win, at this point we need to stop winning, and drop a little lower

This is so stupid :shakehead . You guys complain when we lose and you guys complain when we win so what in gods green earth should they do? we DON"T NEED more 1st overalls we need established players. Thats all. Did Chicago get good by drafting top 5? No. They had two top 5 picks and competent players which they signed, traded for, or drafted in the 2nd-7th round. Geez people get it into your heads. Enough with the stupid top 5 picks

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
This is so stupid :shakehead . You guys complain when we lose and you guys complain when we win so what in gods green earth should they do? we DON"T NEED more 1st overalls we need established players. Thats all. Did Chicago get good by drafting top 5? No. They had two top 5 picks and competent players which they signed, traded for, or drafted in the 2nd-7th round. Geez people get it into your heads. Enough with the stupid top 5 picks

Yep. Amen. (other than the stupid comment which isn't necessary)

This team needs to learn how to win. That its.

Other than that MacT will do a good enough job of filling some holes.

You sure don't fill any holes in this club through the draft.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Chicago was fortunate to land two elite players, including the prized possession -- a high end big bodied no.1 center -- in two drafts and had great drafting/luck in the later rounds.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Another draft pick isn't fixing this team.

It's on MacTavish to acquire legitimate NHL players in the summer.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Another draft pick isn't fixing this team.

It's on MacTavish to acquire legitimate NHL players in the summer.

With not a ton of assets and lets be honest, we're never going to be a free agent destination until we're good, that's a whole chicken-egg scenario.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Oilers will be picking 4th or 5th IMO, I've always kinda felt that way. Teams are not going to be going balls to the wall in the last 20 games and with better goaltending, Edmonton has a chance to eek out more wins.

Dal Colle or Draistal would be OK anyway I guess.

Our offence sucks though, lol.

I don't know about that.
The finishing stretch is brutal and the Oilers seem to play better away from the home distractions so I think that we'll see some losses to finish up and they will likely only pass Florida IMO. They also lose the tiebreakers against the 3 teams ahead of them so it'll be tough to pass all three.

In any event, I don't really care about draft position too much anymore. I just want to see them get a sense of winning and to start developing some trust with each other as a result. The first several games after the break were brutal but they seem to be developing some cohesiveness over the last couple of games which is good to see.
Also, players like Marincin, Klefbom and Lander developing well is vital to long term success.

oilz89*

Chicago was fortunate to land two elite players, including the prized possession -- a high end big bodied no.1 center -- in two drafts and had great drafting/luck in the later rounds.

Hall isn't a elite winger? The kids got 63 pts he's got heart, skill, speed, and he doesn't back down. What else do you want?
Your saying Nuge won't be a number one centre? hes 20 years old!!!:shakehead

Its not luck that made those late round picks gems. its developing. That needs to get fixed ASAP

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
With not a ton of assets and lets be honest, we're never going to be a free agent destination until we're good, that's a whole chicken-egg scenario.

Free Agents like money, so, just give them some of that? We don't need to go after a top 5 in the league Dman, just a few legit top 4 dmen who can play until Nurse, Klefbom, and maybe Gernat are ready.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Free Agents like money, so, just give them some of that? We don't need to go after a top 5 in the league Dman, just a few legit top 4 dmen who can play until Nurse, Klefbom, and maybe Gernat are ready.

Every decent d-man gets multiple big money offers, no reason to choose Edmonton. Lower taxes in many US states makes our "overpayments" a moot point anyway.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Many US states that have low taxes aren't exactly hockey hot beds with owners willing to spend.

We've been able to get a few free agents by opening the wallet, I think that issue is over blown.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Many US states that have low taxes aren't exactly hockey hot beds with owners willing to spend.

We've been able to get a few free agents by opening the wallet, I think that issue is over blown.

Yep. Agreed. this isn't the 90's right now where theres a perfect storm of everything going against us economically.

Right now this is one of the hottest economies, hottest entertainment markets in the world, high paid work force with disposable income. With the combination of that and the new arena facility and downturns everywhere else a lot of teams won't even be able to pay anywhere close to cap.

Essentially we've become one of the economic haves. A different position to be in.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

yup. this. need real NHLers

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
While I seldom wish injury on anybody this is karma gold and making my day.

Tarasenko, who sucker punched hall in the face just the other day needs surgery on his injured hand and is likely out for the year.

Blues fans wondering about the hockey gods yet again and the playoff losing hasn't even started.

lolololol

don't mess with Replacement...;)

I know its better to love but...

Last edited:

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Hall isn't a elite winger? The kids got 63 pts he's got heart, skill, speed, and he doesn't back down. What else do you want?
Your saying Nuge won't be a number one centre? hes 20 years old!!!:shakehead

Its not luck that made those late round picks gems. its developing. That needs to get fixed ASAP

There's a cause for concern because RNH may not even be a number 1 center.Prior to him being drafted,it was suggested by scouts that the 2011 NHL Entry Draft was a very weak draft.

Some fans are already seeing a resemblance between RNH and David Legwand.

gpearson1968

Sep 18, 2002
High Point, NC
At the Game

Hi Folks,

I live in N.C. now and have been waiting for this game for months. Very pleased with 3 of them right now. Hendricks EARNS the 'A' on his chest the hard way. Always in it, blocking shots, standing up to idiots, well played game from him. Scrivens had shutout written all over him, and the Carolina goal was just a fluke. But flukes have happened en masse this year, and i half expected the team to fold. They didn't thankfully. And last I give a nod to Marancin. He is DEFINATELY a keeper. In position most of the team, not as mean as i'd like him, and he looks like he could put on another 10 pounds and be a FORCE out there.

Petry needs more seasoning time, and I'm not sure where he should get it, but he made numerous mistakes tonight. The young guns were visible, but not effective. Glad to see Yakupov pitch in when Hendricks was getting tag-teamed. Good on him !

Cheers,
gpearson1968

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
While I seldom wish injury on anybody this is karma gold and making my day.

Tarasenko, who sucker punched hall in the face just the other day needs surgery on his injured hand and is likely out for the year.

Blues fans wondering about the hockey gods yet again and the playoff losing hasn't even started.

lolololol

don't mess with Replacement...;)

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
Look at your own avatar before you start criticizing any fan on how they cheer for this team.:shakehead
Whats wrong with my avatar? is it incorrect or a fact. Also my old one read Oiltankjob 4-93-64 but during this season I changed it up. When they start winning and have a winning record I will shed my Avatar and change username till then it stays. I also compliment team when they do good as well as the players, I just don't complain.;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad