Post-Game Talk: Oilers suffer from narcolepsy again to start the season

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The funny thing is the old and slow guys everyone bitched about are the ones that showed up to play. The vaunted star power thinks it’s the preseason still

They are in last June. It's not a preaseason thing. Knob botched this too, he should've seen his top players weren't all there, instead he just sat on his hands.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The funny thing is the old and slow guys everyone bitched about are the ones that showed up to play. The vaunted star power thinks it’s the preseason still
meh. Lets see what the same players look a month from now. We're you honestly satisfied with Ryan or Perry last season or the thought of bringing them back? Of course guys on the bubble that must still need the money or something are going to try to do something to stay in lineup. For them its maybe where the urgency comes from. Perry is a gambler from what I've heard. Probably needs every coin that drops in his pocket. Ryan is always gonna be a good honest worker but at some point the legs aren't willing.

I'll maintain all night Drai played hard tonight and was setting up a lot and involved in a lot of offense. he was doing his part and with having to adjust to two new linemates. How does he not get any pass on that?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
They are in last June. It's not a preaseason thing. Knob botched this too, he should've seen his top players weren't all there, instead he just sat on his hands.
Is KK supposed to lace em up. I'm not sure what you're saying here.

McDavid said that last year he did too much in preseason and hit stride early and was tired at seasons start. (mostly from the captains skates and such he said) This year he laid back more thinking that would help.

The reality is that the Oilers are old, its natural they would have less enthusiasm and that a young stud like bedard would have more in this matchup. Thats how the hockey world works the 60yrs I've been watching. Young upstarts have all the motivation and energy to try to match or look better than their heroes.

years ago it was Gretz and Mess doing it to Guy Lafleur and Steve Shutt.

NHL is a tough league and bad clubs that get top picks don't stay bad forever. This is not last years Hawks club.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I would move Skinner up, he's making plays and actually shoots the damn puck when given a chance to do so, created a goal today by doing that.

I would move Podz up too, he is at least playing with some pace and energy and hits.

Skinner McDavid Hyman
Podz Draisaitl Arvidsson
RNH Henrique Brown
Janmark Ryan Perry

The McDavid line needs a shake up, it's clear that the three of them (McDavid, Hyman, RNH) are mentally off in Mars still thinking about Finals. Gotta shake that up.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Hits were like 14-4 Hawks after 1st period. yeah, you know that frustration is gonna bubble up. Been saying this for awhile is that teams can just take liberties against McDrai and what are we gonna do. Gum the opponents to death? Theres basically zero tough in this lineup, in hockey, in the WC. This is the kind of frankenstein nonsense club that only an analytics guy would put together. This roster makes no sense.

I can't believe in Western Canada we'd see a team like this that has absolutely no teeth. Zero grit.
Cannot LIKE or agree more
How come we can sign 'experience' to become the oldest team in the league all of a sudden but not sign the right players to fill the roles we need?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Is KK supposed to lace em up. I'm not sure what you're saying here.

McDavid said that last year he did too much in preseason and hit stride early and was tired at seasons start. (mostly from the captains skates and such he said) This year he laid back more thinking that would help.

The reality is that the Oilers are old, its natural they would have less enthusiasm and that a young stud like bedard would have more in this matchup. Thats how the hockey world works the 60yrs I've been watching. Young upstarts have all the motivation and energy to try to match or look better than their heroes.

years ago it was Gretz and Mess doing it to Guy Lafleur and Steve Shutt.

NHL is a tough league and bad clubs that get top picks don't stay bad forever. This is not last years Hawks club.

Sometimes you need to do theatrical things as a coach like just go off, tear the strip off someone just to shake the room up.

It was pretty obvious even in preseason the top players were not all there mentally. I bet he probably wishes now he had done something differently before the season started.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
There are no hits in this lineup though. No hitters, no fighters, no grit, Teams are gonna take advantage of this and take liberties. How could they not? Maroon kept looking around laughing that there is nobody in our lineup that would do anything no matter what he did. He actually even toned it down, not sure why. he could/ve done anything he liked all night. Same with goons like Foligno.

Watch what happens when a team WANTS to take liberties against this roster. Not sure what Jeff Jackson was thinking. This dog won't fight. Oh but the analytics!

Preach to the choir
Amen!

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Cannot LIKE or agree more
How come we can sign 'experience' to become the oldest team in the league all of a sudden but not sign the right players to fill the roles we need?
Because Jeff Jackson stresses analytics beyond anything else. Note that the team has had good corsi in these two games. Which means jacksquat to me ever but for analytics guys.

This is a crazy roster to put together. Again wheres the hits, wheres the fight, wheres the grit, wheres the speed. This is the wierdest lineup put together in the McDrai arc which is saying something.

jebus even Chiarelli wouldn't put a team together with so little fight to it.

The type of players we need we've let go. Man even Lavoie plays with some edge and can play a big boy game.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The only player that hit a ton last year for the Oilers was Evander Kane. McDavid was 2nd on the team for forwards in hitting after Kane.

They should try and reaquire Klim Kostin, but it will probably have to wait a few months.

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011
meh. Lets see what the same players look a month from now. We're you honestly satisfied with Ryan or Perry last season or the thought of bringing them back? Of course guys on the bubble that must still need the money or something are going to try to do something to stay in lineup. For them its maybe where the urgency comes from. Perry is a gambler from what I've heard. Probably needs every coin that drops in his pocket. Ryan is always gonna be a good honest worker but at some point the legs aren't willing.

I'll maintain all night Drai played hard tonight and was setting up a lot and involved in a lot of offense. he was doing his part and with having to adjust to two new linemates. How does he not get any pass on that?

Like I’ve said before, the guys that left were getting paid more than these guys. It’s why they’re still here

Dildo Holloway could have signed a team friendly deal, but he didn’t. He can f*** himself

Reactions: Duke74

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
You gotta have it in the back of your mind that this team has been "close" 3 years in a row in the playoffs... losing to the eventual cup winners... Colorado... Vegas... Florida each time.

Is this the year they are mentally drained just enough that they take a step back and regress because maybe they can't get back to that level yet again.

Not saying they won't turn it around because there are obviously 80 games to go... but I certainly wouldn't bet against an overall regression year where things don't go quite according to plan and this team could certainly struggle to get back to the levels they need to be to challenge for the Cup like they did last year.

They dug deep last year to get to game 7... and every team is gunning for them every game now whether it's a top tier team like Winnipeg or a bottom tier team like Chicago... no easy games... so this hole isn't likely to be that easy to dig out of.

Last edited:

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
It's mindboggling how much the Oilers waste the puck. Pass pass. No simple plays

Chi takes ten seconds to score a pp goal

Need new goalie for sure as well

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You gotta have it in the back of your mind that this team has been "close" 3 years in a row in the playoffs... losing to the eventual cup winners... Colorado... Vegas... Florida each time.

Is this the year they are mentally drained just enough that they take a step back and regress because maybe they can't get back to that level yet again.

Not saying they won't turn it around because there are obviously 80 games to go... but I certainly wouldn't bet against an overall regression year where things don't go quite according to plan and this team could certainly struggle to get back to the levels they need to be to challenge for the Cup like they did last year.

They dug deep last year to get to game 7... and every team is gunning for them every game now whether it's a top tier team like Winnipeg of a bottom tier tier like Chicago... no easy games... so this hole isn't likely to be that easy to dig out of.

They've had poor starts in 3 of the last 4 seasons now. Well I mean I guess they can still salvage this start but its trending poorly as of now. The "good" season start was the 5-0 start followed by a mega collapse in December that got Tippett fired.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Preach to the choir
Amen!
You know, going all the way back to the Oil Kings if Bill Hunter put a team like this together in hockey, in a bloodsport that had so little teeth fans would just stop coming. You can only have so many fancy dancers in a roster. Jeff Jackson figures its all you need at forward.

I mean its shockng right. This Oilers franchise that had Semenko, Brown, McSorley and has had some of the best hitters and hitting clubs in hockey now figures that none of that even features. When people talk about this club being hard to like its because huge ingredients are missing in this roster. Its not even like we can bring up what we need. We don't have enough role players in the system that can step in.

Typically a club having trouble scoring will start bringing the hits and energy. We can't even do that effectively with this roster.

Reactions: rboomercat90

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011

They dug deep last year to get to game 7... and every team is gunning for them every game now whether it's a top tier team like Winnipeg of a bottom tier team like Chicago... no easy games... so this hole isn't likely to be that easy to dig out of.

Nah.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

They dug deep last year to get to game 7... and every team is gunning for them every game now whether it's a top tier team like Winnipeg of a bottom tier team like Chicago... no easy games... so this hole isn't likely to be that easy to dig out of.
NHL is hard. Harder for teams that were in SC final. Oilers finding out. I kinda worried we were orchestrating for Kane to get surgery just at right time to miss season and be LTIR. Wondering if we could afford the absense of that wrecking ball in the lineup, the only one we have.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
The only player that hit a ton last year for the Oilers was Evander Kane. McDavid was 2nd on the team for forwards in hitting after Kane.

They should try and reaquire Klim Kostin, but it will probably have to wait a few months.

I recall he was also one of the few that gave shit early last season during that slump as well. The epic "what is anybody here going to do" chirp in the heritage classic and his intensity is what this team could use right now.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad