Oilers now 13-12-1: THE THREAD THAT'S FUN FOR EVERYONE

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I have to imagine the worst part of being an Oiler is the fact that this incredible low point, losing to one of the worst teams in league history as they sink to last place, probably doesn't even rank in the top 5 of their franchises lowest lows.

This is due to being around for a while. Even with said lows, they had a dynasty in the 80s and got to watch some of the greatest players of all time play on their team. Definitely one of the better teams to be a long term fan of. Let’s not even kid ourselves to mix them with forever mediocre teams.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Screenshot_20231110_082847_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20231110_082812_YouTube.jpg

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Rock bottom for me would be McDrai wanting out. That would probably be the one thing that could kill my Oiler fandom.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
It's not sarcasm. It's an atrocious start, but 12 games is 12 games. It's still early enough in the season for them to turn it around.

During their 2021-2022 season, they had a similar stretch around Christmas, even worst. They eventually turned it around, McDavid won the ross, him and Drai put on a show in playoffs and they made it to round 3.

Dec 3rd 2021 to Jan 20th 2022 Oilers were:

2 wins, 11 losses, 2 OTL. -27 goal differential in this stretch.

12 games isn't rock bottom.
It's about how many teams you need to jump.

I don't think they will catch Vegas, Vancouver or LA for division spot

You probably will need 96-98 points to make wildcard

5 points now, 70 games left

So 46-24 is what they need to go rest of the year minimum

The 3 games before US Thanksgiving will probably be the bellwether if they can make the wildcard

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
The Oilers were #1 in Point % before that losing streak. Afterwards, they were 20th in Point % and 2 points out out a wildcard spot. They had the #4 P% from Jan. 22nd onwards and finished 7 points ahead of the #2 Wildcard team in the West.

They are now 8/9 points out a Wildcard spot. They cannot afford not lose any more ground by Game 20 then they still likely need a Top 5 P% from there on in to make the playoffs.

Yeah of course if they keep this pace up by game 20-25 they're more than done. But 12 games is still a small enough sample size that they can still turn their season around.

I'm not saying that to excuse them - they've been absolutely horrible so far, and it's pathetic.

But 12 games is 12 games.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
On the one hand, this is the team that sold Gretzky. On the other, they had just won four cups in five years and won another cup after selling Gretzky. Entirely possible that having the best player in the game and sucking dirty pond water after years of mediocrity with no real hope in sight and several anchor contracts is the low point.

Losing to the Sharks isn't quite losing to a zamboni driver, but it's bad times in Oil Country.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

The 3 games before US Thanksgiving will probably be the bellwether if they can make the wildcard

It's still only 12 games.

I'm not saying they definitely are going to turn things around and make the playoffs - what I'm saying is it's definitely too early to consider them out.

Even Vancouver - going into the year I had them as a bubble team (as they've been forever). They look great so far - but it's been 13 games. Way too early to assume they're definitely making playoffs, and in a divisional spot at that.

Teams go through ups and downs all the time.

Reactions: PainForShane

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
It all starts with firing Dustin Schwartz. Every goalie to come to Edmonton gets worse and generally improves when leaving. His system is not working and he’s done more harm than good.

Woodcroft has lost the room and Schwartz destroys every goalie to come in. Heads need to roll now before they really squander two superstars along with all their first overall picks they’ve wasted.
It ain't the goalies that are the problem. I mean they are a problem, but they aren't THE problem.

That defense is atrocious. Even last year they were barely held up by generationally excellent offensive play by the top line, but make no mistake, they are a bad defensive team. It doesn't matter which goalies are in net, the amount of Grade A chances they give up on a nightly basis is going to lead to a few goals against per game. There were multiple times last year we joked that Edmonton needed to score 5 to win any given game, we shouldn't be surprised that they are struggling this bad. All offense, zero defense is not a winning strategy, its never worked in this league.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Where do you think McDavid goes in free agency? My money is on:

Boston
New York (Rangers)
LA
Toronto

I really doubt he’d sign anywhere other than these 4.
Rare circumstances that lead a player to get to ufa as a high end player. Most get moved like Tkachuk, PLD, Fiala, Trouba before that happens.

Panarin, wanted to get to NY. Plus Columbus opted to push their chips in. Tavares, GM change and they hoped that would make a difference.

Unless Edm decides to push all in for 24/25 and risk losing Drai for nothing Ala Columbus this really was Cup or bust. They needed a good PO run to convince guys to trust the organization for their 30’s.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Couldn't happen to a more deserving fan base. With all the countless threads about other teams and players derailed by trolling Oilers fans makes this place borderline unreadable at times.

They officially have ZERO ground to stand on in terms of slagging other teams.

This is how I feel about it. Anecdotally, they've been some of my worst interactions on this site and other social media.

Karma's a bitch.

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
I think the problem is that those bad Oilers teams didn't have players of McDavid and Draisaitl's caliber.
Indeed. And at the same time, I remember too well that team with Stoll, Hemsky, Smith, Pisani, Brewer, Pronger etc that knocked my Red Wings out in the first round. They had less skill than these two guys combined but really a big heart.

To expectations?

”Top contender” at the bottom of the standings
Any sane person NEVER considered this Oilers team as contenders.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019

Yep. And if you look at the teams ahead of them for that first wild card -- ANA, STL, AZ, SEA, MIN, CHI, NSH, CGY -- I'd say Minnesota is the only team there that's actually good. Maybe Seattle, maybe not. And EDM would need to finish #2 out of those teams which is not a huge ask, esp since a few of those teams are in their division.

Put a different way, at the moment they're 8 points back with 70 games to go. 70. Seems far too early to even think about writing these guys off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad