Oilers now 13-12-1: THE THREAD THAT'S FUN FOR EVERYONE

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

petterdaddy

Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver
Benning’s not available, he’s already doing wonders in Toronto

This might be my whoosh moment but is he actually employed by another NHL team? I have extreme PTSD from the OEL trade so I’ve tried to avoid any mention of Jimbo. Because if so whoever hired him should be fired based on that alone.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Can't tell if this is sarcasm or not

It's not sarcasm. It's an atrocious start, but 12 games is 12 games. It's still early enough in the season for them to turn it around.

During their 2021-2022 season, they had a similar stretch around Christmas, even worst. They eventually turned it around, McDavid won the ross, him and Drai put on a show in playoffs and they made it to round 3.

Dec 3rd 2021 to Jan 20th 2022 Oilers were:

2 wins, 11 losses, 2 OTL. -27 goal differential in this stretch.

12 games isn't rock bottom.

Panteras

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 14, 2009
It’s only 3-0 who cares
This might be my whoosh moment but is he actually employed by another NHL team? I have extreme PTSD from the OEL trade so I’ve tried to avoid any mention of Jimbo. Because if so whoever hired him should be fired based on that alone.

My bad, I got confused with Treliving. These old boys club terrible GMs at this point are all the same to me lol

Reactions: petterdaddy

DragoGrizzly

Oct 2, 2019
They're one of the streakiest teams in the league and could still make the playoffs if they go on one of their insane runs mid-season. But the clock is most certainly ticking and management will have to get creative to clear some cap space. A coach also needs to get Drai to commit to even a 100 foot game, as it stands now he has no interest in anything in his own half of the ice
This is exactly where I’m at too. It seems like every year they start badly, or have dips in play early season that puts them out of a playoff spot. This year is obviously worse, but I can totally see them going on their annual 8-10 game winning streak to put themselves right back in it. They are only 8 points out of a playoff spot with tons of time left. They are not this bad.

Reactions: zar

Artemi Panarin

Aug 3, 2021
Ко́ркино
I hope not.

antonio-banderas-relief.gif

• Haha
Reactions: zar and Kahvi

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
Time to let Holland go with his contract expiring. We don't need another Chiarelli situation where he signed Koskinen to that horrible contract on his way out. Find a new manager, let him bring in his staff, and try again next year

Reactions: PinSeeker

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
The oilers destroyed Campbell's future? Lol pretty sure Campbell had been doing that his hole professional career. Take a look at his first game down in Bakersfield

He was good with Kings and Leafs.Solid save percentages

And I think most teams know Edmonton is a place where goalies just don't get much support. So he could get back to.a good place.

It terms of Bakersfield, culture permeates throughout the organization

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Time to let Holland go with his contract expiring. We don't need another Chiarelli situation where he signed Koskinen to that horrible contract on his way out. Find a new manager, let him bring in his staff, and try again next year
Too late. He already did far worse than that with Campbell. The Oilers would kill for a goalie like Koskinen right now lmao.

Reactions: Leafshater67

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
MacKenzie Blackwood was just arrested in San Jose for theft.

This is all happening because I got McDavid (who?) on my fantasy team.

McDavid is clearly still the best in the league. 12 injured games don’t change that
Lemieux played through cancer and couldn’t even tie his skates yet was still a better player. Gretzky took a cross check from Sutter that injured him good for life. What’s McDavid’s excuse? If he’s so injured, he shouldn’t be playing - not like he’s doing anything out there anyways .

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
What I will say, is that if this 12 game skid happened in the middle of the season it wouldn’t be highlighted as much. The playoffs are still a possibility but they definitely do need to make some changes. Remember St Louis. Lastish (too lazy to google exactly where) before the new year and won the cup.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Drift

Jan 9, 2012
What I will say, is that if this 12 game skid happened in the middle of the season it wouldn’t be highlighted as much. The playoffs are still a possibility but they definitely do need to make some changes. Remember St Louis. Lastish (too lazy to google exactly where) before the new year and won the cup.
New coach

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
It all starts with firing Dustin Schwartz. Every goalie to come to Edmonton gets worse and generally improves when leaving. His system is not working and he’s done more harm than good.

Woodcroft has lost the room and Schwartz destroys every goalie to come in. Heads need to roll now before they really squander two superstars along with all their first overall picks they’ve wasted.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
It's not sarcasm. It's an atrocious start, but 12 games is 12 games. It's still early enough in the season for them to turn it around.

During their 2021-2022 season, they had a similar stretch around Christmas, even worst. They eventually turned it around, McDavid won the ross, him and Drai put on a show in playoffs and they made it to round 3.

Dec 3rd 2021 to Jan 20th 2022 Oilers were:

2 wins, 11 losses, 2 OTL. -27 goal differential in this stretch.

12 games isn't rock bottom.

The Oilers were #1 in Point % before that losing streak. Afterwards, they were 20th in Point % and 2 points out out a wildcard spot. They had the #4 P% from Jan. 22nd onwards and finished 7 points ahead of the #2 Wildcard team in the West.

They are now 8/9 points out a Wildcard spot. They cannot afford not lose any more ground by Game 20 then they still likely need a Top 5 P% from there on in to make the playoffs.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I have to imagine the worst part of being an Oiler is the fact that this incredible low point, losing to one of the worst teams in league history as they sink to last place, probably doesn't even rank in the top 5 of their franchises lowest lows.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
They're one of the streakiest teams in the league and could still make the playoffs if they go on one of their insane runs mid-season. But the clock is most certainly ticking and management will have to get creative to clear some cap space. A coach also needs to get Drai to commit to even a 100 foot game, as it stands now he has no interest in anything in his own half of the ice
The only streaks this team has is skid marks.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I still expect a rebound this season from the Oilers. How far that rebound will be is questionable. Neither McDavid or Draisaitl have played even close to their typical play. The Oilers are making some bad errors defensively but that is no different then they made last season or the season before that. The difference is their offense typically doesn't struggle and it will not continue to do so once McDavid and Draisaitl start playing at their normal level.

It is still not ideal though even if they were to rebound and get back to last seasons level. Just making the playoffs means nothing anyway if they still have the same issues on defense and in goal.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Lost all all this discussion about the Oilers struggles is Dylan Holloway. He was looking like a great prospect - what's going on with him? The Oilers need to get this kid going.

He was never a high offense, high ceiling prospect. Any characterization of him as that was far fetched to start. Not saying I agree with him getting 10 minutes a night but he has shown little offensive punch at the NHL level to warrant some showcase role. I’m not sure a Holloway that has “gotten going” is really anything special.

He, Broberg, Bourgault and all the picks - they should all be on the block to add pieces and shed salaries for added flexibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad