Oilers now 13-12-1: THE THREAD THAT'S FUN FOR EVERYONE

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
McDavid only played 7 fewer games than Draisaitl that year when Draisaitl won the Hart. Draisaitl played 64 games with McDavid and 7 games without him, that year.

Draisaitl has a total of 51 points in 51 games played, when McDavid is not playing. That makes him an 80 point player, like I was suggesting, he's in the category of stars like Nylander, Rantanen, Marner, not the top dogs like McDavid, Kucherov, Pastrnak, Matthews.

I'm as much of a "Draisaitl isn't nearly as good as his points suggest" truther as anyone but that's a bit unfair. The vast majority of those games were when he was 20 years old. Years before he was the 50 goal/100 point player he is today.

It's apparent from watching the games who's stirring the drink. But credit where it's due, in the short stints McDavid's been out in the last few years, Draisaitl has delivered offensively.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I'm as much of a "Draisaitl isn't nearly as good as his points suggest" truther as anyone but that's a bit unfair. The vast majority of those games were when he was 20 years old. Years before he was the 50 goal/100 point player he is today.

It's apparent from watching the games who's stirring the drink. But credit where it's due, in the short stints McDavid's been out in the last few years, Draisaitl has delivered offensively.
He's a good player like I said, but he's not a top 5 player for sure. Like I was saying, he's more comparable to guys like Nylander/Rantanen than he is to McDavid/Mackinnon.

He floats defensively, he struggles to generate even strength offense (relative to other superstars) when he's not playing with McDavid. He's still an elite player in the league but it's really not a "Crosby/Malkin" situation like so many people have suggested.

Realistically how many points do you think he's scoring if he doesn't have McDavid ? Definitely fewer than he scores with McDavid ? I look at the even strength production to get a better idea of what a player actually brings.

People are being fooled by how much PP time he gets, especially with McDavid. There is no player that is even remotely close to McDavid and how dominant he is on the PP..

Over the last 4 years Draisaitl

Overall scoring #2
Even strength points per game .84
Even strength points overall #3
Even strength goals #20

Mackinnon even strength points per game .96 (#13 EVG)
Matthews even strength points per game .94 (#1 EVG)

Marner even strength points per game .84 (#22 EVG, better EVG/GP)
Rantanen even strength points per game .81 (#3 EVG)
Tkachuk even strength points per game .80 (#16 EVG)
Pastrnak even strength points per game .80 (#4 EVG)

How is it that all of these guys are producing more even strength goals than Draisaitl, better even strength points or very close in even strength points, and none of them have the luxury of playing with McDavid ?

I give Draisaitl credit he's an elite player, problem is some fans think he's on McDavids level when he's really not and are shocked when he can't produce at that level 5 on 5.

Realistically what do I think he is if he doesn't get to play with McDavid ? 85-95 point player which is still very good, McDavid will inflate every players numbers that he plays with, it's not exclusive to Draisaitl or Maroon. The issue I have is when people begin declaring him #2 in the world. Even having him in the top 5 is debatable right now, with how players like Makar, Hughes, Mackinnon, Matthews have recently emerged.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
It's funny because I started by saying Pasta was better than him. He was leading their draft class in points. Then Drai went supernova and I conceeded that Drai was better (I'm an Oil and Czech fan).
I also thought Pasta might be getting the benefit of Krejci and Bergeron.

Fast forward to today.. Pasta has Zacha as his 1C and him and the team are, currently, killing it. No Bergeron, No Krejci.

I'm a huge Drai fan though and thought he'd be getting 2 .ppg during the McDavid absence. It's aging poorly.haha
I had higher expectations for him in McDavid's absence too. He stepped up three years ago to take over the team and post 2PPG for 12 points in 6 games.

I'm not sure what's going on but his performance in the last two games isn't indicative of his normal play/talent/ability, but I see that his most ardent haters (the usual suspects) are infesting these boards with glee. Funny how some people on here reject a six-game sample size but jump all over a two-game one. No bias or anything operating there...:rolleyes:

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
West is not that great, they definitely wont miss the playoffs.

If they do though, watch out, Mcdavid might force himself out of Edmonton, he isnt going to stand to waste his prime years much more.

• Wow
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I had higher expectations for him in McDavid's absence too. He stepped up three years ago to take over the team and post 2PPG for 12 points in 6 games.

I'm not sure what's going on but his performance in the last two games isn't indicative of his normal play/talent/ability, but I see that his most ardent haters (the usual suspects) are infesting these boards with glee. Funny how some people on here reject a six-game sample size but jump all over a two-game one. No bias or anything operating there...:rolleyes:
Totally agree...

I think there is a stink in the team that is affecting everyone.

My opinion is that it's the D. Not the system but the actual players.

If I could, I'd address that first. Then I'd shit on the goalies and forwards!

So watch us sign Patrick Kane to fix all our problems.

Note: it's a joke and yes I know we don't have the cap.

Reactions: Duke74

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
What are the odds that McDavid and Draisaitl re-sign with the Oilers when the terms are up?

I think if one goes elsewhere they both go.
I could see McDavid staying. Even Draisaitl could stay but he'll probably want the moon after playing at a discount for so long. But if the Oilers can come up with the cash, he just might re-up too.
That doesn't solve all Edmontons problems but at least it keeps the "need" list from growing.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
It's cup for bust

I suggest they trade their first for an nhl goalie
And another first for a top 4 D
And more futures for Connor Garland, he's good at ES
What goalie? Goalies are a commodity right now. They’re not getting Shersterkin, Sorokin, Saros, Helleybuck with a first rounder.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
51 points in 51 games now without McDavid, I think it’s getting fairly safe to say he needs McDavid to produce
Again, those numbers include his rookie/sophomore seasons before he broke out. Try running the numbers from 2018-present and they're well over PPG. But that doesn't fit your narrative so why bother?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022

If ya can’t take the heat, get out of the kitchen. A lot of folks get annoyed with Edmonton fans, and their arrogance, consider this as having your ballon popped

Again, those numbers include his rookie/sophomore seasons before he broke out. Try running the numbers from 2018-present and they're well over PPG. But that doesn't fit your narrative so why bother?
Why not go with the full body of work. Paints a broader pic. I’m sorry you don’t like it

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
51 games or more accurate than 6 games.

Draisiatl isn’t a bad player but you can’t argue against the fact that playing with McDavid elevates him. There is nothing wrong with that

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad