Oilers now 13-12-1: THE THREAD THAT'S FUN FOR EVERYONE

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
It’s been two games. Then again, you know all about making shitty knee jerk reaction takes.

If anyone was making the same comments like you do about the Leafs, you’d be posting about how rent free and having a nuclear meltdown.
You're the one that brought up the Leafs here, so if the 'rent free' thing fits...

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton

51 points in 51 games when McDavid out of the line-up. Yep, Draisaitl sucks LMAO!
Points per game is not what it used to be in this league. Over 40 players were points per game last season so yea it’s not great.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Mcdavid and drai should start contract talks now and demand 1 billion dollas.

1 million.jpg

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I feel like we are overreacting a bit right now.

Oilers rank....

2nd in High Danger Chances For%
8th in xGoals For%
15th in Shots for%

27th in shoothing%
29th in save%

They are basically the Florida Panthers of last year up to this point. They can't finish and can't get a save.

The finishing will come, but they may need to spend some assets to shore up goaltending.

Vertain

Mar 28, 2013
Vermont
It would be really nice if they hit somebody now and again. You know, make their opponent think twice about going into the corners, standing in front of the net having a coffee, floating down the middle of the ice humming a song.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

51 points in 51 games when McDavid out of the line-up. Yep, Draisaitl sucks LMAO!
36 forwards were a point per game last season (50 or more games). He would have been last if we're talking 51 points in 51 games. No, obviously it doesn't quite work like that and you never know what he's going to produce, but there's a enormous difference from being 2nd to 36th, and going from 50 goals to half.

Still, no he doesn't suck. Nobody really thinks he sucks. But everybody knows missing McDavid is a huge hole to everybody on the Oilers roster.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
I think it's fair to point out Draisaitl's EVP production since his Hart season.

2020-21: 2nd in points (22% ahead of 3rd), 2nd in PPP, tied for 3rd in EVP
2021-22: 4th in points, 2nd in PPP, 9th in EVP
2022-23: 2nd in points (13% ahead of 3rd), 2nd in PPP (24% ahead of any non Oiler), 13th in EVP

His total production shows he's still a top 5 player in the league, but looking closer it's McDavid that is pushing the numbers to look like the 2nd best player in the league.

I think it's also fair to point out McDavid has lost his place as the unquestioned best EV player in the league. He lead the league in EVP in 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2021. He was 2nd in 2022 and 3rd in 2023.

Reactions: Duke74

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

He sucks defensively, I don't think even the biggest Oilers homer can deny that.

So 51 point in 51 games is great and all, but how much is he giving back to the other team?

If they're cancelling each other out, how great is Draisaitl really?

And this is not to dunk on Draisaitl, he is an incredible talent, but he does not bring it defensively.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
He sucks defensively, I don't think even the biggest Oilers homer can deny that.

So 51 point in 51 games is great and all, but how much is he giving back to the other team?

If they're cancelling each other out, how great is Draisaitl really?

And this is not to dunk on Draisaitl, he is an incredible talent, but he does not bring it defensively.
And that's a legitimate problem with McDavid too. Untill a coach gets through to them that their lack of defensive effort isn't acceptable, the culture doesn't get changed. Woodcroft doesn't have the balls to put either of these gutless floaters in the press box for a game to send the message.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
Little doubt that the Oilers will still make the playoffs, but what then? They are not built to be seriously competitive with either Colorado or Vegas. That "Cup Or Bust" stuff was never realistic to begin with.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
And that's a legitimate problem with McDavid too. Untill a coach gets through to them that their lack of defensive effort isn't acceptable, the culture doesn't get changed. Woodcroft doesn't have the balls to put either of these gutless floaters in the press box for a game to send the message.

McDavid to his credit though has gotten way better defensively the last few years, but you were right it was an issue before.

Draisaitl on the other hand? He's gone even more on the opposite end, he's horrible defensively.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I'm not sure you understood what I said, unless you're claiming McDavid inflated Draisaitl's numbers while being injured.

It's a small sample but last time McDavid missed 6 games, Draisaitl scored 12 points without him. But then again you're using a 10 game sample size over a 3 year period to make your agument so I don't think I should be worried about that lol.
McDavid only played 7 fewer games than Draisaitl that year when Draisaitl won the Hart. Draisaitl played 64 games with McDavid and 7 games without him, that year.

Draisaitl has a total of 51 points in 51 games played, when McDavid is not playing. That makes him an 80 point player, like I was suggesting, he's in the category of stars like Nylander, Rantanen, Marner, not the top dogs like McDavid, Kucherov, Pastrnak, Matthews.

I don't get the obsession with ripping on Drai or McDavid , the team is total dog meat , why rip the players when management puts out an absolute garbage roster aside from those 2 + Ekholm every year
Not ripping on Draisaitl, it's just Oilers fans get extremely defensive if the team outside of McDavid is critiqued and the usual argument is "Draisaitl is the 2nd best player in the world" and that's where the debate of how much of a factor McDavid really is, starts.

Like I said, Draisaitls production, points, even strength points etc. take a massive hit when McDavid isn't playing.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Disappointing how bad they are playing without McDavid. In moments like this they should all step up and play even more solid defensive game as a team, but instead it looks like they are playing worse, just completely folding over, 'why even try without McDavid'..

No doubt their depth and quality of players has gotten a bit exposed without McD, but most of all to me this feels like a coaching / culture issue.
I used to get frustrated at the opposite where Leafs would step up with Sundin out but then not carry the same once he got back.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
McDavid only played 7 fewer games than Draisaitl that year when Draisaitl won the Hart. Draisaitl played 64 games with McDavid and 7 games without him, that year.

Draisaitl has a total of 51 points in 51 games played, when McDavid is not playing. That makes him an 80 point player, like I was suggesting, he's in the category of stars like Nylander, Rantanen, Marner, not the top dogs like McDavid, Kucherov, Pastrnak, Matthews.

Not ripping on Draisaitl, it's just Oilers fans get extremely defensive if the team outside of McDavid is critiqued and the usual argument is "Draisaitl is the 2nd best player in the world" and that's where the debate of how much of a factor McDavid really is, starts.

Like I said, Draisaitls production, points, even strength points etc. take a massive hit when McDavid isn't playing.
It's funny because I started by saying Pasta was better than him. He was leading their draft class in points. Then Drai went supernova and I conceeded that Drai was better (I'm an Oil and Czech fan).
I also thought Pasta might be getting the benefit of Krejci and Bergeron.

Fast forward to today.. Pasta has Zacha as his 1C and him and the team are, currently, killing it. No Bergeron, No Krejci.

I'm a huge Drai fan though and thought he'd be getting 2 .ppg during the McDavid absence. It's aging poorly.haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad