Oilers now 13-12-1: THE THREAD THAT'S FUN FOR EVERYONE

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I have no trouble if Oilers win, they are fun to watch. Constantly rotating coaches at the same time telling everyone things are fine is a hypocritical take.

Pooping themselves every year isn't ~fine~. None of this is okay. The goaltending is not okay. There are problems.

Those problems just won't stop the Oilers from being a 100+ point playoff team because where they ARE good, they are amazing. League's best ever PP, the best top-5 forward group in hockey, etc, etc.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Why is it a dumb take when everyone here were singing the praises of Oilers and proclaiming them cup favourites before the season? Now when I talk about it, it's a dumb take. Give me a reason why it is a dumb take instead writing some one liners.

If you shut down Mcjesus or injure him with a big clean hit, then they would be done. Oilers go as far as Mcjesus takes them. Prime example is how when McDavid went cold the whole Oilers team went cold and were piling up losses. Now McDavid and Drai are putting up points and all of a sudden Oilers are winning.
You mean to say that the guy taking up 15% of our cap is a pretty important piece?

Did you brainstorm that up yourself?

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
You're telling people that last year, its time to move on.

Yet you're using last years benchmarks of making the playoffs for this year?

You're not very consistent with your arguments.
Not the same thing genius. What oilers did last year to get coaches fired is mutually exclusive to how many points for a given nhl team to make the playoffs based on previous years averages.

Are you sitting down now?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Not the same thing genius. What oilers did last year to get coaches fired is mutually exclusive to how many points for a given nhl team to make the playoffs based on previous years averages.

Are you sitting down now?
Why are you using previous years averages to make the playoffs?

Theres been years where 90 points made it.

ArE yoU SiTtTinG doWNw!1!11!

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
Pooping themselves every year isn't ~fine~. None of this is okay. The goaltending is not okay. There are problems.

Those problems just won't stop the Oilers from being a 100+ point playoff team because where they ARE good, they are amazing. League's best ever PP, the best top-5 forward group in hockey, etc, etc.
I agree, they are a good team and never suggested otherwise. I think the goaltending is a major concern and you need solid goaltending to avoid OTLs.

That and too many losses are reason for concern IMO.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You can’t compare an elite basketball player’s impact to that of an elite hockey player. The basketball player simply impacts the game much more. They’re on the court greater than 75% of the game while the best hockey players are on the ice just over a third of the game. Also the Nuggets have a 15-25 record without Jokic over the last 6 seasons.

An NFL quarterback is an entirely different level of influence to that of even an elite NBA player. No team sport athlete can compare to the level influence an NFL quarterback has.

And yet, I think McDavid impacts his team perhaps more than anyone else. NFL QB maybe the outlier but it would be purely because of the position relative to the other positions in that sport.

What this guy can do is unbelievable. We just casually now look at him having long stretches of play where he's literally scoring at 2+ ppg (Gretzky in his prime like stretches of play) ... and like McDavid lets be f***ing real here, plays in a way, way, way, waaaaaay better league than Gretzky did.

I love 80s hockey, but if you seriously watch a game from the 80s or even early 90s ... there's no defensive structure at all, lol. Pure pond hockey, teams whole sale just willing to trade chances all night long. "Coaching" was basically just yelling at guys, not a whole lot of strategy. 5 foot 9 goalies with street hockey gear just letting in completely unscreened shots from the blue line with no screen standing almost fully upright.

We don't appreciate what we're seeing. This guy is unbelievable. For him to put up sky high production like this in a league that is far better coached, has actual, real defensive structure, way better D-Men, way better goalies, way better athletes overall from around the world, it's just unreal.

Last edited:

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
Why are you using previous years averages to make the playoffs?

Theres been years where 90 points made it.

ArE yoU SiTtTinG doWNw!1!11!
It’s just a projected number of how many points needed to be playoff bound. It is only an indicator, nothing more.

And yet, I think McDavid impacts his team perhaps more than anyone else. NFL QB maybe the outlier but it would be purely because of the position relative to the other positions in that sport.

What this guy can do is unbelievable. We just casually now look at him having long stretches of play where he's literally scoring at 2+ ppg (Gretzky in his prime like stretches of play) ... and like McDavid lets be f***ing real here, plays in a way, way, way, waaaaaay better league than Gretzky did.

I love 80s hockey, but if you seriously watch a game from the 80s or even early 90s ... there's no defensive structure at all, lol. Pure pond hockey, teams whole sale just willing to trade chances all night long. "Coaching" was basically just yelling at guys, not a whole lot of strategy. 5 foot 9 goalies with street hockey gear just letting in completely unscreened shots from the blue line with no screen standing almost fully upright.

We don't appreciate what we're seeing. This guy is unbelievable. For him to put up sky high production like this in a league that is far better coached, has actual, real defensive structure, way better D-Men, way better goalies, way better athletes overall from around the world, it's just unreal.
Well said, McDavid is a beauty.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
After the first 100 pages of this thread.

You think Oiler fans are just gonna sit here and say nothing when the Oilers start playing better?

As i said....
clerks-im-taking-it-back.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Coffey

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It’s just a projected number of how many points needed to be playoff bound. It is only an indicator, nothing more.

Well said, McDavid is a beauty.

The problem with this logic is you're assuming then that Nashville or Arizona or someone else plays at like a .600+ rate the rest of the year?

You don't have to beat a pace. You just have to better than some of the teams ahead of you.

That said, I could see the Oilers playing at that .600 rate if McDavid is going to play like McDavid the rest of the year. They were .634 last year and .643 the year before and the hilarious thing about that season was they were like 6-7 points out of a playoff spot in like late Jan/early Feb that year and still some how finished with 100+ points.

McDavid doesn't wait out a storm, he IS the storm.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
lmao what... This thread was to trash the Oilers originally, and don't forget the McDavid thread that was locked due to how silly it was.

Just chill man.
Oh I’m chill just call it as I see it. Perhaps that was original intent of the thread, but the last few pages has been mostly Oilers fans chirping. I get it, the shots get old. All good, just an observation I personally don’t care.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Oilers are a commin' to burn down yer village and steal yer wimmin folk.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
The problem with this logic is you're assuming then that Nashville or Arizona or someone else plays at like a .600+ rate the rest of the year?

You don't have to beat a pace. You just have to better than some of the teams ahead of you.

That said, I could see the Oilers playing at that rate if McDavid is going to play like McDavid the rest of the year.

McDavid doesn't wait out a storm, he IS the storm.
That’s a good point actually….the win rate of Arizona and Nashville as a factor. Right now, both teams would need slightly lower win% but in reality does anyone take Arizona seriously?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
That’s a good point actually….the win rate of Arizona and Nashville as a factor. Right now, both teams would need slightly lower win% but in reality does anyone take Arizona seriously?

What's the line from Batman Begins? "I'm not locked up in here with them, THEY are locked up in here with me", lol.

That kind might sum up the so-called "wild card chase" in the West.

And also let me correct myself the Oilers had a .665 win percentage last season. They've been .665, .643, and .634 the last three seasons so I'm not so sure that .600 the rest of the way now that they have a lot of confidence is really the mountain its made out to be.

If their management actually gets off their ass and trades say a 1st for a goalie upgrade ... well then, there's that to reckon with too.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
What's the line from Batman Begins? "I'm not locked up in here with them, THEY are locked up in here with me", lol.

That kind might sum up the so-called "wild card chase" in the West.

And also let me correct myself the Oilers had a .665 win percentage last season. They've been .665, .643, and .634 the last three seasons so I'm not so sure that .600 the rest of the way now that they have a lot of confidence is really the mountain its made out to be.

If their management actually gets off their ass and trades say a 1st for a goalie upgrade ... well then, there's that to reckon with too.
It’s brutal - all these team play each other down the stretch and OTL screws up the whole thing.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Funny it's bad luck when you guys lose and don't play D while when Canucks are winning you bring up PDO to make them look bad.
Yes...that's what PDO measures. Oilers had historically bad PDO while having the higher balance of chances. Canucks had historically high PDO with less than average other underlying metrics. It's just a measurement to your combined shooting and save percentage that is meant to be looked at in conjuction with other stats.

Canuck fans had no issues talking about PDO when the BB teams were making late season runs but getting sunk by Dumpko. Now Dumpko is playing well, almost like the game has variance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad