Oilers now 13-12-1: THE THREAD THAT'S FUN FOR EVERYONE

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
And yet, I think McDavid impacts his team perhaps more than anyone else. NFL QB maybe the outlier but it would be purely because of the position relative to the other positions in that sport.

What this guy can do is unbelievable. We just casually now look at him having long stretches of play where he's literally scoring at 2+ ppg (Gretzky in his prime like stretches of play) ... and like McDavid lets be f***ing real here, plays in a way, way, way, waaaaaay better league than Gretzky did.

I love 80s hockey, but if you seriously watch a game from the 80s or even early 90s ... there's no defensive structure at all, lol. Pure pond hockey, teams whole sale just willing to trade chances all night long. "Coaching" was basically just yelling at guys, not a whole lot of strategy. 5 foot 9 goalies with street hockey gear just letting in completely unscreened shots from the blue line with no screen standing almost fully upright.

We don't appreciate what we're seeing. This guy is unbelievable. For him to put up sky high production like this in a league that is far better coached, has actual, real defensive structure, way better D-Men, way better goalies, way better athletes overall from around the world, it's just unreal.

I agree with some aspects such as trading chances and "pond hockey" style of play but lets not forget that players could literally tackle players with one arm without getting a penalty...just go watch the 1987 Stanley Cup Finals (Oilers vs Flyers), it's amazing with what blueliners could get away with back then.

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
Who would have ever thought that Calvin Pickard would be the saviour to the Oilers season.
All he needed was a chance to prove himself, which wasn't happening when Campbell was standing in the way. Campbell sucking as badly as he did is kind of a blessing, and him sucking just as much in the ahl means he (hopefully) won't get another chance to f*** things up for the Oilers.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I agree with some aspects such as trading chances and "pond hockey" style of play but lets not forget that players could literally tackle players with one arm without getting a penalty...just go watch the 1987 Stanley Cup Finals (Oilers vs Flyers), it's amazing with what blueliners could get away with back then.

People should actually sit down and watch some of these games, it's border line comedy, like this looks like a super entertaining game to watch, but what the f*** are the D and goaltending even doing in this game, lol

Goalies getting beaten letting in goal after goal of unscreened shots, D men just letting forwards sit in front of the net while covering air, no defense at all in the neutral zone, just skate all day through there and pick up speed no problem I guess (lol). Is anyone even coaching here?

If anyone is honest, they'd have to ban McDavid from the sport if you put a current McDavid into this league, he would just embarrass this level of defense and goaltending to a degree where it would be ridiculous.

Like look at that that 4th Oilers goal there ... what f*** sport are the Leafs defense even playing? LOL. Also did Gretzky even back check one time in this game? lulz.

The modern AHL team has better defense and way better goaltending than this.

Last edited:

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
Just a bunch of holistic naturopath hippies from Victoria without a lick of understanding anything academic. Canuck fans are truly insufferable if they even have a half decent team. God forbid they get back to Sedin like “success”.
Stay classy Edmonton……ignorance is bliss.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
You can actually sort threads by views on this board, this thread is already on the 2nd page for most views :laugh: needs 521k to be 1st overall, we can probably get there by the end of January :naughty:
I was curious and took a look, one of the top 10 threads: "Edmonton....looks bad" lmao

• Haha
Reactions: tfwnogf

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
Teams are rarely as bad as they appear at their worst, or as good as they appear at their best. Or perhaps it would be more accurate to say they are both, and everything in between.

I'm not sure I've seen a team with more valleys and peaks, but that's just who they are. I wouldn't want to draw them as a wildcard.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
I remember back in the 90's there was a question raised of if "over-coaching" and system play was ruining hockey and other sports (spawned primarily by the Devils).
Jacques Lemaire almost ruined hockey….did again too with Minnesota.

"How dare you stereotype an entire group of people like that, all of Edmonton!"
Funny….I like it! For the record I would never actually slam Edmonton….i was born there.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
There was some trolling against the Oilers, it’s true, but from my perspective Oilers fans were pushing back against anything that suggests they may not be as good as on paper.
This thread is 154 pages. Clicking twice will let you see the first 120 or so pages. Up until that point, Oilers fans, aside from 1, weren't even in this thread because it was out of hand. At this point, you're trolling.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
There was some trolling against the Oilers, it’s true, but from my perspective Oilers fans were pushing back against anything that suggests they may not be as good as on paper.
This entire thread started out as an Oiler troll job, and now you're crying to your mama "they started it!"

I've been trying to follow your "pace" argument in this thread, in which you refuse to account for any recent trends, historical trends, underlying numbers or points percentage while occasionally throwing in this insincere "I actually enjoy watching the Oilers".

Maybe if you go into an Oiler thread trash talking the Oilers, expect some flippin' blowback going forward.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Oilers now have to play at a 100 point pace for the rest of the year to finish with 95 points.
But that terrible start of the season....
Shouldn't be that hard if their goaltending holds up. They have the best xGF% in the entire league 5 on 5. Underlying metrics even at the start of the year were pretty clear that their brutal start was a mirage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad