Oilers now 13-12-1: THE THREAD THAT'S FUN FOR EVERYONE

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
It's crazy how much perspective changes things

If you told the Oilers fans they were going to be under .500 and out of a playoff spot on December 9th - they'd be fuming. Imagine telling McDavid after showing up 2 weeks early in his 'Cup or Bust season' that he's going to start worse than last season and be out of a playoff spot.

However, now it's supposed to mean they're good.

They might be a bubble team. They're one losing streak away from going straight to the basement. They got absolutely no margin for error. Their saving grace is the West outside the top 3 in each division has been complete garbage this year and they could probably get in a wild card spot with the lowest point total of any playoff teams in the NHL.

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019

If you told the Oilers fans they were going to be under .500 and out of a playoff spot on December 9th - they'd be fuming. Imagine telling McDavid after showing up 2 weeks early in his 'Cup or Bust season' that he's going to start worse than last season and be out of a playoff spot.

They might be a bubble team. They're one losing streak away from going straight to the basement. They got absolutely no margin for error. Their saving grace is the West outside the top 3 in each division has been complete garbage this year and they could probably get in a wild card spot with the lowest point total of any playoff teams in the NHL.
It’s a third of the way into the season, you could say this about literally any team in the league. If the Leafs go on a 5 game losing streak you think they will still be in the playoffs?

Oilers were plagued by atrocious goaltending and bad luck early in the year. That was most likely going to correct itself in time.

Not to mention they were basically in the same spot last year and almost won the division

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The 2019 Blues were dead last in the League on Jan 1st. Dead Last! A coaching change in November was the catalyst for their comeback and eventual run to the Cup combined with the emergence of an unknown quantity in rookie goaltender Binnington.

Jan 1st was my cutoff line for the Oilers to turn it around. They are way ahead of schedule and we already have our November coaching change and unknown quantity goaltender.

Last edited:

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
It’s a third of the way into the season, you could say this about literally any team in the league. If the Leafs go on a 5 game losing streak you think they will still be in the playoffs?

Oilers were plagued by atrocious goaltending and bad luck early in the year. That was most likely going to correct itself in time.

Not to mention they were basically in the same spot last year and almost won the division

Yeah, the Leafs probably would be. They have 5 games in hand on Tampa and more points. The Leafs could lose their next 5 in regulation and still be ahead of Tampa and have a better record than the Oilers - that's what you call a cushion.

It's a third of the season and they're below .500 - that's not good. About as good as the Ottawa Senators - who are last in the Eastern Conference.

The Oilers are lucky they play in the West, as they would be fighting for last in the East right now. Instead, they get to compete with Arizona and Nashville for a wildcard spot.

Let's relax with the Oilers 'bad luck', they just sucked. The teams around them have actual injuries - the Oilers 'bad luck' is their bad goaltenders are not on a hot streak - doesn't sound like bad luck to me. In comparison, the Leafs were missing three defencemen, and both NHL goalies last game and now their starting goalie is out week to week.. and they still have 30 points in 23 games - that's bad luck. Bad luck isn't having your goalie who was pulled nearly every game last playoffs not be a star.

Last edited:

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Yeah, the Leafs probably would be. They have 5 games in hand on Tampa and more points. The Leafs could lose their next 5 in regulation and still be ahead of Tampa and have a better record than the Oilers - that's what you call a cushion.

It's a third of the season and they're below .500 - that's not good. About as good as the Ottawa Senators - who are last in the Eastern Conference.

The Oilers are lucky they play in the West, as they would be fighting for last in the East right now. Instead, they get to compete with Arizona and Nashville for a wildcard spot.

Let's relax with the Oilers 'bad luck', they just sucked. The teams around them have actual injuries - the Oilers 'bad luck' is their bad goaltenders are not on a hot streak - doesn't sound like bad luck to me. In comparison, the Leafs were missing three defencemen, and both NHL goalies last game and now their starting goalie is out week to week.. and they still have 30 points in 23 games - that's bad luck. Bad luck isn't having your goalie who was pulled nearly every game last playoffs not be a star.

Glad you got to watch highlights and stats lines.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Glad you got to watch highlights and stats lines.

The stats are what gets the team to the playoffs.

A team under .500 a third of the way into the season AFTER a 6 game win streak is objectively a bad team - they lose more games than they win.

We both know Edmonton could easily lose 6 in a row.

• Haha
Reactions: TheOrangeDesk

snag

Feb 22, 2014

A team under .500 a third of the way into the season AFTER a 6 game win streak is objectively a bad team - they lose more games than they win.

The stats explain the result. They don't explain the road traveled. That why I don't say a word about any of the Leafs nor do I go in threads about them with my worthless opinion. I don't watch them so wtf do I really know.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

What would you call a team that has 6 regulation wins 24 games into the season?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Is there anything else you'd like to say that shows you don't understand hockey, or is that it?

Yeah.

I'd like to say the top 8 teams make the playoffs in each conference.

The Oilers are currently not a playoff team with their record, let alone a Cup contender.

I understand that it's exciting you guys almost caught Calgary in the standings though.

What would you call a team that has 6 regulation wins 24 games into the season?

What do regulation wins got to do with anything? Seems like an intent to move the goalposts.

The Leafs were third in the league in regulation wins the last year and the year before - were you calling them Cup favourites then or is it just to cherrypick stats?

For the record, I don't think the Leafs played well this season but they still manage to win games missing 3 defencemen and a goalie. The Oilers managed to stay 1 game below .500 while missing McDavid for 2 games.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016

Team has lost 12 games this year.

They're gonna be f***ed if they lose any more than 20! Can only make the playoffs if they have less than 20 losses!

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Team has lost 12 games this year.

They're gonna be f***ed if they lose any more than 20! Can only make the playoffs if they have less than 20 losses!

They lost 12 games in regulation, 13 total in 24 games.

They're not on pace to lose 20 games. For the record they're on pace to lose 41 games in regulation not 20... but don't let your cool story get in the way of the facts.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Yeah.

I'd like to say the top 8 teams make the playoffs in each conference.

The Oilers are currently not a playoff team with their record, let alone a Cup contender.

I understand that it's exciting you guys almost caught Calgary in the standings though.

What do regulation wins got to do with anything? Seems like an intent to move the goalposts.

The Leafs were third in the league in regulation wins the last year and the year before - were you calling them Cup favourites then or is it just to cherrypick stats?

For the record, I don't think the Leafs played well this season but they still manage to win games missing 3 defencemen and a goalie. The Oilers managed to stay 1 game below .500 while missing McDavid for 2 games.
Regulation wins are a sign of a team that is good enough to win games in regulation. No one was saying Toronto wasn't a good regular season team last year.

Please, stick around this thread as the season progresses.

They're not on pace to lose 20 games. For the record they're on pace to lose 41 games in regulation not 20... but don't let your cool story get in the way of the facts.
Like I said, please stick around all season. I'm intrigued to see how your predictions and pace calculations work out.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Regulation wins are a sign of a team that is good enough to win games in regulation. No one was saying Toronto wasn't a good regular season team last year.

Please, stick around this thread as the season progresses.

It goes both ways though. The Leafs equally as hard to be beaten in regulation - is it not? They have as many regulation losses as regulation wins... and they're missing half of their starting defense.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016

Pace isn't facts, lol.

What's their pace after the last 12 games, and excluding the first 12?

Such a stupid argument.

Reactions: Frosty415

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Pace isn't facts, lol.

Their pace is a fact.

Sure, you can argue they'll win all their remaining games and change their pace. Equally, you can argue they'll lose all their remaining game and destroy their pace.

Over a third of the season, they lose more games than they win.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
No, it's not. Because that implies that they play the same all season as they did for the first 12 games of the season.

I'm not using their first 12 game pace, I'm using their first 24 game pace that accounts for all the games they've played this season, which includes their current hot streak.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I'm not using their first 12 game pace, I'm using their first 24 game pace - which includes their current hot streak.
And the reason the "pace" is currently what it is, is because of the first 12 games.

The fact that their first 12 and their second 12 are completely opposite tells you how stupid it is to use "pace" as an argument 24 games into an 82 game season.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
And the reason the "pace" is currently what it is, is because of the first 12 games.

The fact that their first 12 and their second 12 are completely opposite tells you how stupid it is to use "pace" as an argument 24 games into an 82 game season.

I don't think you understand pace.

The first 12 games affected their pace just as much as their last 12 games. You can argue they're not as bad as their first 12 games but you can also argue they're not as good as their last 12 games. Hence, we look at their current pace. I don't expect Edmonton to finish the season on a 64 game win streak.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Y’all should let certain posters have their win in the early part of the season if it makes them feel better.

God knows they certainly aren’t going to get it come playoff time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad