Oilers Lose 3-2 Still can't beat the West...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Just give us Jokinen, Nashville.

Pouliot RNH Eberle
Hall Jokinen Yakupov
Perron Arcobello Purcell
Pakirenen Gordon Hendricks

Marincin Petry
Nikitin Fayne
Ference JSchultz

Poor Olli though. He's probably looking forward to the playoffs :laugh:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
MacT didn't created this mess. It was Tambellini. MacT inherited from his predecessor.

MacT hired the coach. MacT still hasn't addressed the center issue in 2 offseasons now. He still hasn't acquired a legit #1 goalie while the neighbors to the south have.

The roster has been turned over almost completely since MacT took over. This is HIS team now.

On paper, the roster isn't that much better than 2 seasons ago outside of some added wing and D depth.

The team has the same exact issues that it had under Tambi. Little center depth, no top pairing Dman, no #1 goalie and way too soft. This is why I had no expectations going into the season. I'm just happy that they are more competitive this season. Can't expect much more than that with this roster.

Last edited:

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Joensuu apparently had back spams on and off last season. Looks like he is healthy now and not surprisingly its made a major difference in his game.

I don't know if that's whats going on with Nikitin but he has been a liability out there the last 5 games.

Makes even more sense to scratch him and play Marty or Klefbom. We'll see what they decide to do though. -shrug-

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
this says it all right here

there have been some pretty obvious improvement this year... with even slightly below average goaltending, we would have another 4-5 points and be in around 19th place, rather than 26th

we still suck, no doubt about that, but we aren't laughably bad this year, like we have been for the past 5 years.... we are still LIGHT YEARS from a playoff spot, but to say there hasn't been improvement is simply not true

Exactly. That's all that some of us are trying to say.
I don't think any of us are happy with the state of the team but at least they aren't a total embarrassment this season outside of a few games.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I love the *improvement* logic in these threads.

"theres improvement, theres improvement, even if you can't admit it."

Rebuttal: "Oh but Oilers continue to roll out sloppy games, poor efforts, horrendous coverage albeit now with better goaltending to bail them out when they breakdown or give up breakaways and odd man rushes"

"Its a process, good things are happening, give it time, give it more weeks, they're improving how can't you see that?

Um, if there hasn't been enough time to evaluate how is it clear this team is improved?

theres a question..

Marc08

Mar 17, 2006
MacT hired the coach. MacT still hasn't addressed the center issue in 2 offseasons now. He still hasn't acquired a legit #1 while the neighbors to the south have.

The roster has been turned over almost completely since MacT took over. This is HIS team now.

On paper, the roster isn't that much better than 2 seasons ago outside of some added wing and D depth.

The team has the same exact issues that it had under Tambi. Little center depth, no top pairing Dman, no #1 goalie and way too soft. This is why I had no expectations going into the season.

Well the assets have low value. If I'm a seller, I'm not willing to give away assets for a low price.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Pretty sure I know the answer to this, but we can't still buy out a player this offseason and have it fit with that compliance buy out, can we?

Because I would buy out Nikitin so quickly.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Except it finally is...that's the problem.

This team used to fold up like a cheap tent when they got behind. When they referred to it as a process then, it was more of a euphemism for "jeez, there's so much wrong here, eventually it has to get better."

Now, the Oilers are posting decent underlying numbers, are showing some heart after they go through cluster**** portions/games...and they're starting to get it. It's not hopeless anymore, it's just not as hopeful as we'd like after suffering for so long.
Every team has their line in the sand where they start to believe they just have to win.

A .650 team plays like they are fighting for their life if they have only won 2 of their last four. The team that lost in the SCF the previous year feels like they have to win the cup or they are a failure. The current oilers play like a team possessed after they lose 5 games in a row but they feel all fat and happy right now because they just played like a real hockey team for one full game.

The four game win streak the Oilers had sealed their fate for this season. This is dallas's year now and the oilers will be trading away some more players who for some strange reason don't play well under him.

I have an unhealthy level of hatred for MacT now. I have to distance myself from the team or I want to throw up.

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011
So many missed calls on the Preds in the 3rd that could have given the Oil a chance to tie it up. Still though, they are fully to blame for digging such a big hole in the first.

RNH still looking impressive.

Everyone on defense still sucking.

Seems like Weber played 59 minutes in that game. A defenseman even close to that would completely transform our team.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

there have been some pretty obvious improvement this year... with even slightly below average goaltending, we would have another 4-5 points and be in around 19th place, rather than 26th

we still suck, no doubt about that, but we aren't laughably bad this year, like we have been for the past 5 years.... we are still LIGHT YEARS from a playoff spot, but to say there hasn't been improvement is simply not true

The only reason we have any W's this year is goaltending. Its the only thing on the club that has improved. I know the boxcars won't reveal that but this team is horrible at giving up great scoring chances and has been all year.

Marc08

Mar 17, 2006
He should clean it up by bringing in actual NHL players and coaches. Right now he doesn't look that much better than his predecessor.

Well if you want to bring in new guys then you have to give them overpaid contracts.

Right?

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
All I know is that each year there are a half dozen teams that improve greatly and get results, often with rosters with less 'talent' than this team. Even teams that have that one off good year and fall back to earth. But the oilers are one of the few conistently terrible teams year after year with moral vicotries a plenty.

7 points back of the flames, 9 points back of the canucks. Both teams everyone and their dog picked to be below the oilers on this site.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Pretty sure I know the answer to this, but we can't still buy out a player this offseason and have it fit with that compliance buy out, can we?

Because I would buy out Nikitin so quickly.

I would suggest waiting for him to get healthy before first.

I have seen him play about 20 games prior to being an Oiler and when he is healthy he is a decent dman.

His problem is that he is often injured.

I have never seen him play this bad.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
So many missed calls on the Preds in the 3rd that could have given the Oil a chance to tie it up. Still though, they are fully to blame for digging such a big hole in the first.

RNH still looking impressive.

Everyone on defense still sucking.

Seems like Weber played 59 minutes in that game. A defenseman even close to that would completely transform our team.
if the preds weren't comfortably ahead they would have continued to beat on the oilers like a Salvation Army drum.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Well the assets have low value. If I'm a seller, I'm not willing to give away assets with a low price.

I don't know if I buy that. He was able to get a top 6 forward for Paajarvi and a 2nd rounder which are fairly low value assets.

There are deals to be had out there if MacT really wanted to pull the trigger. Boychuk is one example.

dobiezeke*

What hasn't changed is this team's ability to show drive/desparation when they are down. The last two minutes with the goalie pulled looked like the keystone cops in their own end. Until the puck got onto RNH's stick no one showed any desparation to make a play.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I would suggest waiting for him to get healthy before first.

I have seen him play about 20 games prior to being an Oiler and when he is healthy he is a decent dman.

His problem is that he is often injured.

I have never seen him play this bad.

We only have about 3 Dman sitting around who are healthy, if the guy is hurt he should be out....but then again this is the oilers.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Well if you want to bring in new guys then you have to give them overpaid contracts.

Right?

This is true but MacT brought in Pouliot who we didn't need and Purcell who we also didn't need while dealing away Gagner, creating a hole at 2C. He has yet to fill the 2/3C hole and had at least a few options in the summer.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Well the assets have low value. If I'm a seller, I'm not willing to give away assets for a low price.

Here is the great problem, our front office has no overall plan and if our 'low value ' guys start playing well they think they have turned the corner and should be kept.

Gagner is a perfect example of this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad