Oilers Lose 3-2 Still can't beat the West...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You ask what I was expecting? How about a win against our own conference?

Lol. That's too much to ask?

And just because someone is expecting a terrible team doesn't mean they can't be upset about it when it actually happens.

Relax. Lets review again in 2 weeks. There are some very winnable games against the West coming up and whether you want to admit it or not this team is improving.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yeah, not sure what some were expecting (GreatKeith just likes to whine about everything all the time), although a win against the west would be nice.

There's a lot to not like about the team and organization as a whole but I think relative to expectations, the team is about on par with where they should be. It's an underwhelming roster with tons of holes all over the place but at least they are putting in a more honest effort this season at least to my eye.

I think they are clearly more competitive than they were last season so baby steps, it's about all we can ask for with this limited roster.

I don't think a win against the West should be too much to ask, especially given that we swept the Preds last year.

What is it, like 15 wins against the West the past 2 seasons?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Oh and here's something to think about. We've played exactly one playoff Western team this year and that was the Kings. We're not just losing, we're losing to teams that weren't even in the playoffs last year.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Well at least the point production in the standings has improved, except wins against the west.

Last season, the Oilers didn't get their first win against the west until Game 22.

Those 3 extra points don't give me much faith in the team's progression

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Phew. Source?

Jack Michaels @EdmontonJack · 9m 9 minutes ago

Nail Yakupov took a couple zippers in wrist. He'll be OK.

Have you seen the video? I'm on my phone so can't post but Yak not being seriously, seriously hurt is nothing short of miraculous. Perron had his full weight down on his skate at an angle and Yak pulled his arm out from under. Terrifying.

Yeah, it looked scary. Thank god, he's alright. Otherwise, we'll see Gazdic in for him.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Oh and here's something to think about. We've played exactly one playoff Western team this year and that was the Kings. We're not just losing, we're losing to teams that weren't even in the playoffs last year.

This isn't the same conference as last year.

Nashville is 10-3-2. I'm disappointed but it's hardly a travesty to lose to them.

Vancouver and Calgary also both have pretty solid records.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Relax. Lets review again in 2 weeks. There are some very winnable games against the West coming up and whether you want to admit it or not this team is improving.

Yeah as I said a number of times, the fact that we were so awful and so totally underacheived last year has made this year and excuse makers dream. If we end up out of the playoffs by Dec 2nd instead of dec 1st and end up drafting 4rth overall rather than 3rd we are making an improvment.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
The team is on pace this season for 67 pts and is on pace to be -71 in goals differential.

Last season they had 67 pts and were -67 in goals differential.

So no... there's no improvement... no baby steps... no process... they are just a slightly different looking team than we saw last season with essentially exactly the same results.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Go back and watch that first period...tell us how many times Petry moved the puck out of his own end. You won't need many fingers to count it.

Yea nobody was moving the puck in the 1st, it wasn't a Petry problem. He was the best defensively there on out imo.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yeah as I said a number of times, the fact that we were so awful and so totally underacheived last year has made this year and excuse makers dream. If we end up out of the playoffs by Dec 2nd instead of dec 1st and end up drafting 4rth overall rather than 3rd we are making an improvment.

:laugh:

Maybe.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Yeah, not sure what some were expecting (GreatKeith just likes to whine about everything all the time), although a win against the west would be nice.

There's a lot to not like about the team and organization as a whole but I think relative to expectations, the team is about on par with where they should be. It's an underwhelming roster with tons of holes all over the place but at least they are putting in a more honest effort this season at least to my eye.

I think they are clearly more competitive than they were last season so baby steps, it's about all we can ask for with this limited roster.

Are they? They walk into the home rink of one of the best teams in the league unprepared to play for whatever reason and get spanked. The entire first period looked like a Preds PP.

Team plays one of the extremely rare 60min efforts of the season against the Rangers a few nights ago and of course don't follow it up with a complete effort.

lets be real too. Only reason this one was close was Scrivens was unreal in a relief capacity stopping breakaways and everything coming his way.

lol at Eakins starting Fasth. When is this guy getting fired?

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
The team is on pace this season for 67 pts and is on pace to be be -71 in goals differential.

Last season they had 67 pts and were -67 in goals differential.

So no... there's no improvement... no baby steps... no process... they are just a slightly different looking team than we saw last season with essentially exactly the same results.

That first period though. If Eakins was an actual nhl coach I'm sure it wouldn't have turned out so poorly. Where was the timeout at least after the 2nd goal? Damnit Eakins.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
This isn't the same conference as last year.

Nashville is 10-3-2. I'm disappointed but it's hardly a travesty to lose to them.

Vancouver and Calgary also both have pretty solid records.

Gee, imagine a non-playoff team improving in the off-season.

If anything this spells further doom when the real big boys of the conference come to town. Anyone feasibly seeing this team knock off the Ducks or Blues?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Even if they suck against the West, dare I say it in the last 3 games the Oilers have been ... watchable at least.

At least there's some effort out there. Previously if Hall got hurt the entire team would just willingly go into a coma.

RNH is improving so is Yakupov. Keeping Draisaitl up was a mistake though.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Even if they suck against the West, dare I say it in the last 3 games the Oilers have been ... watchable at least.

At least there's some effort out there. Previously if Hall got hurt the entire team would just willingly go into a coma.

Hall can come back any time. I miss seeing the energy he brings to the team.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Are they? They walk into the home rink of one of the best teams in the league unprepared to play for whatever reason and get spanked. The entire first period looked like a Preds PP.

Team plays one of the extremely rare 60min efforts of the season against the Rangers a few nights ago and of course don't follow it up with a complete effort.

lets be real too. Only reason this one was close was Scrivens was unreal in a relief capacity stopping breakaways and everything coming his way.

After MacT's bold moves.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hall can come back any time. I miss seeing the energy he brings to the team.

I'm actually OK with him out for a little while.

It forces RNH and Yakupov to have to play better. Other guys like Pouliot and Perron have stepped up too. Eberle is playing a bit better too.

It would be nice if we had a blueline that could help out once in a while.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I'm not a fan of Eakins by any means but why wouldn't Fasth start? He won the previous two games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad