Oilers Lose 3-2 Still can't beat the West...

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It'd be pretty embarrassing if we were winless against our division. But the entire conference? We're setting a whole new benchmark for failure.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
The makeup of the Preds just seems like they're set up so well to beat the Oilers.

I'm not sure why the Oilers are cursed with ****** goalie after unbelievably ****** goalie, but hard to win with goaltending like that. Not saying the Oilers were even in the game in the first but my god, make a ****in save Fasth.

Oilers tried hard but are still a counter team, and it's easy to keep them to the perimeter.

Can we talk about why Draisaitl is playing at all if he's not going to see the ice?

dobiezeke*

I can't tell who is more useless. Petry or Nikitin.

I'd trade both tonight if an offer came in.

Christmas came early for Petry - handed out gifts to Nashville in his own end all night long. And the rest of the time him stood around watching the Predators like he had purchased a ticket to the game.

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
Hope it's nothing serious (re: Yak).

Time for Marincin or Klebom to start playing... Nikitin has been a train wreck the past 2 games.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Ugly first period but I am impressed with the push back.

They play the way they did in the 2nd and 3rd and they likely win that game. Especially if the refs called even half of the interference penalties Nashville was guilty of tonight.

Yeah right, our PP is still balls and we've heard this nonsense how many times in the past number of years? "If they play like that..." well the fact is they don't and that's why we're staring at 9 years out of the playoffs.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yeah right, our PP is still balls and we've heard this nonsense how many times in the past number of years? "If they play like that..." well the fact is they don't and that's why we're staring at 9 years out of the playoffs.

Yeah...I got a lot of nerve finding positives...eh Negative Nancy?

You think there are things to work on...maybe huh?

No positives here folks...move along!

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Christmas came early for Petry - handed out gifts to Nashville in his own end all night long. And the rest of the time him stood around watching the Predators like he had purchased a ticket to the game.

At least someone else was watching this.

Petry isn't nearly as good as people here think he is. Poor man's Tom Gilbert, at most.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
10 Oilers play the East? Go to 30
20 Result = loss
30 East team good? Go to 50
40 Maybe a win
50 Result = loss

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
dang. We got close in this one, at least to tie. This would have been a huge one for us to win.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Hope it's nothing serious (re: Yak).

Time for Marincin or Klebom to start playing... Nikitin has been a train wreck the past 2 games.

No chance Nikitin gets sat. He's mact's boy.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Holy interference. I thought I was watching a game against Dallas from the 90s.

It was brutal. I understand that the refs give latitude to veteran players (and the Preds are a veteran team) but that was a joke.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yeah...I got a lot of nerve finding positives...eh Negative Nancy?

You think there are things to work on...maybe huh?

No positives here folks...move along!

Maybe not falling asleep in the first would be a good start. The fact of the matter is they have a single point in 9 games against the West. How anyone can find that acceptable is beyond me. And we haven't even played the Ducks, Blues, or Blackhawks yet. Only the Eastern Conference is keeping the Oilers afloat and I use that term very loosely.

Come on guymez, how many times has this team gotten off to such terrible starts that they've been unable to recover? Very rarely is this team ready to play hockey and the Preds basically cruised to an easy win.
Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers now14 seconds ago

"We weren't ready (in the 1st) ... We can't have that happen after we win a couple games and then get ahead of ourselves." @DP_57

How many times have we heard this ****?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Maybe not falling asleep in the first would be a good start. The fact of the matter is they have a single point in 9 games against the West. How anyone can find that acceptable is beyond me. And we haven't even played the Ducks, Blues, or Blackhawks yet. Only the Eastern Conference is keeping the Oilers afloat and I use that term very loosely.

Come on guymez, how many times has this team gotten off to such terrible starts that they've been unable to recover? Very rarely is this team ready to play hockey and the Preds basically cruised to an easy win.

Every year. Yawn...

DipsyMcDoodles

Apr 6, 2014
Edmonton
I think people tend to confuse getting outclassed and not giving an effort as being the same thing. We got completely dominated in the first period, no doubt. But I don't think it's fair to say that we mailed it in though; I mean were utter crap but it didn't seem like it were the players' effort at fault, when Nashville turned it on we were just bad, very very bad.

Great to see the push back in the second, it was an exciting game to watch after Yak scored; hopefully N-64 (10 now I guess?) is okay :(

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Ugly first period but I am impressed with the push back. If Fasth plays a better 1st they might have even been able to weather that storm.

They play the way they did in the 2nd and 3rd and they likely win that game. Especially if the refs called even half of the interference penalties Nashville was guilty of tonight.

Hopefully Yak is ok.

We've seen this type of thing happen with the Oilers in the past. Teams blow them out early then the Oilers have a push back that inevitably fails.

Did they even have a shot in the final 5 minutes of the game?

There's no positives to take out of a loss where you give up 3 in the first period. Especially when you're 0-7-1 against your own conference. The fact that they haven't won a game against the West 6 weeks into the season is simply unacceptable. How no changes have been made yet... is beyond me.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Good effort in the final 40 but the Oilers looked like a bunch of plugs in the 3rd, interestingly the way the Preds used to look. Lots of hard work but not really much in the way of good scoring chances, not sure why Eakins played the Gordon line so much down a goal.

This was the type of game where Hall was really missed and Draisaitl and Arcobello were really exposed. If Nuge isn't creating offense, the Oilers have virtually nothing at center as far as offensive threat is concerned.

Call me an Arco hater all you want and he has some decent qualities but he kills the offense of any line he's on. The team will never go anywhere with him and a rookie in the middle center spots. Draisaitl is at least a year, likely two, away from being an impact player. As of now, he's sinking at least offensively and it seems like a waste of an ELC year.

dobiezeke*

How can you not be ready when you are playing the division leader in their own building...a team which ragdolled you the last time you played.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
We've seen this type of thing happen with the Oilers in the past. Teams blow them out early then the Oilers have a push back that inevitably fails.

Did they even have a shot in the final 5 minutes of the game?

There's no positives to take out of a loss where you give up 3 in the first period. Especially when you're 0-7-1 against your own conference. The fact that they haven't won a game against the West 6 weeks into the season is simply unacceptable. How no changes have been made yet... is beyond me.

I agree. Its the same old oilers hockey. Gets blown out early, and they attempt a comeback after it. They can hardly ever play a full 60 minute game. This game was a 40 min game at best. That first looked garbage.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Of course...most of the same young players are still here. No **** they still have the same lessons to learn.

Thats how it works sometimes.

That being said how you can watch this team and still whine about negatives ALL THE TIME is beyond me. If you care to look there are some positive arrows with this team.

I mean what the hell were you expecting? Did you not look at the lineup before the season?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad