Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & Executive VP- press conference at 10:30

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don't know if that would have happened for anyone.

Is there any guys out there that would give you that reaction?
There's definitely at least a few that wouldn't have generated such a backlash.

In fact most of them probably would've been met with a "Huh, alright, that's cool."

They went this path for reasons I don't understand.

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
But here is a legit honest question here

I did not like the signing for PR

If you guys were in his position, did the proper thing and reported it up to the POHO and probably owner, and they told you it will be handled and thank you

How many of you, with a family and career, would then x amounts later, go against your team to "ruin" yourself?

In the media, you would actually be a Hero. It would be a good moral move.

I still don't think most people would f*** themselves career/financially wise there

I just don't. That is human nature

Even if it is the right thing to do

People are selfish individuals. It's always been that way

I think he is being ragged on too much here. Should he have put a tracing tag on Aldrich for 10 years
Dude was probably already set financially and he clearly didn't give a f*** anymore after he reported it once.

You lots praising him for the work he put in with Kennedy which I consider the absolute minimum one should have done after f***ing up that bad. The bar for human integrity is low nowadays. I'm not surprised that some posters like to take a rather strange stand on this topic. Imagine the victim being one of your loved ones and then seeing someone say: ''oh but he put so much work into it and took a long hard look into the mirror, he deserves another chance'' - again there would be a different tone from these exact posters. Hypocrites...

And if it would have been any other team, I'm pretty sure the Bowman defenders would be the first to shred that org into pieces. Pathetic behaviour.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Hossa was signed by Talon too. Bowman literally didn’t make a single meaningful addition to that first cup team as GM.
Yes but this is the job that Bowman is inheriting here too. His job in Chicago was very much to keep the team together as best he could into a long term contender. Tallon was cup or bust, and it was actually cup AND bust, as what he built was so loaded up that it was destined to fall apart.

Bowman did make impactful moves such as adding Panarin, but mostly he had to make a lot of lateral moves and work along the margins. That is exactly what we need now. We have the core already. We have our Hossa even (Hyman)

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Pretty sure half of the fanbase quit on the team after Kane, sure was a loud playoffs run with only half the fans left. :sarcasm:

Am I the only one that thinks the Kane signing is worse than this from a non hockey standpoint? At least at the moment of signing? Like all the shit Kane was accused of doing was far far far worse than what Bowman did.

It's funny. People who say they will not support the Oilers are turning into a minority lately due to the amount of people who have actually educated themselves on the situation. Same thing happened with Evander Kane and his allegations, which as soon as people educated themselves, saw it's Kane's ex-wife who's the issue. This is why I said before, people need to come at this with a LEVEL HEADED approach. Not an inflated ego.

A day later and still nobody has said "Wow this is a great hire!"

There's no way to spin this into being a good hire either from a PR or a managerial standpoint.
This is just a bad hire. I am more pissed that we hired a guy with a mediocre at best resume than a guy who did who kmows what in 2010. But the PR nightmare combined with that questionable hockey move is mind boggling.

It's a real head scratcher and there isn't a leg to stand on for the organization to go with Bowman.

The Kane signing had waaaaaaaaay better optics. He got his contract terminated over covid nonsense that i dont belive were ever substantiated. Plus had full custody of his child over what appears to be a mentally unstable x-partner. His gambling debts are his to own and hopefully has taught him some lessons.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
This is just a bad hire. I am more pissed that we hired a guy with a mediocre at best resume than a guy who did who kmows what in 2010. But the PR nightmare combined with that questionable hockey move is mind boggling.

It's a real head scratcher and there isn't a leg to stand on for the organization to go with Bowman.
What's even more puzzling is that Jackson (or whoever) did a fine job in the UFA period. They got laser focused on one guy... Again.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Dude was probably already set financially and he clearly didn't give a f*** anymore after he reported it once.

You lots praising him for the work he put in with Kennedy which I consider the absolute minimum one should have done after f***ing up that bad. The bar for human integrity is low nowadays. I'm not surprised that some posters like to take a rather strange stand on this topic. Imagine the victim being one of your loved ones and then seeing someone say: ''oh but he put so much work into it and took a long hard look into the mirror, he deserves another chance'' - again there would be a different tone from these exact posters. Hypocrites...

And if it would have been any other team, I'm pretty sure the Bowman defenders would be the first to shred that org into pieces. Pathetic behaviour.
That last bit is very unfair. I for one can say that if this were Calgary hiring him even, I would have progressed the same. I would have dunked on them hard, but having Kennedy and Beach endorsing him would kill that in a hurry. Their opinions matter a lot more than yours or mine

Reactions: oilers'72

CookiesAndMilk

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
That last bit is very unfair. I for one can say that if this were Calgary hiring him even, I would have progressed the same. I would have dunked on them hard, but having Kennedy and Beach endorsing him would kill that in a hurry. Their opinions matter a lot more than yours or mine
That's correct and I know that I'm entitled to my opinion. I worked as a social worker and I've seen some awful family stuff including beating and or raping. The work Bowman put in, even with endorsments from Beach and Kennedy, is just not enough for me. It's a very sensible topic for me and after sleeping through it I'm still at the same point. What he did is the absolute minimum and there shouldn't be any praise for that. He just did what any human should do.

Edit: I have to add to this. Just because Beach and Kennedy gave their 'ok' doesn't mean that all is forgotten and forgiven.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
That's correct and I know that I'm entitled to my opinion. I worked as a social worker and I've seen some awful family stuff including beating and or raping. The work Bowman put in, even with endorsments from Beach and Kennedy, is just not enough for me. It's a very sensible topic for me and after sleeping through it I'm still at the same point. What he did is the absolute minimum and there shouldn't be any praise for that. He just did what any human should do.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions on this including yours. I would say that Bowman has done more than the minimum. What would be more than minimum in your eyes.

Also I should add that I shouldn't have quite said that Beach endorsed him. Kennedy did though. But with both, Bowman has been in contact with them for over a year (Kennedy longer) and he had a good conversation with Beach before the hire. So I do believe Beach will endorse him when he talks about this, which I assume because they have a relationship.

With your story, you have seen the product of evil acts so I definitely get it. Bowman was the GM though, and I think they start thinking of players like pieces on a board game and just want to win. It happens on these boards even. I don't think Bowman will ever fall into that trap again

CookiesAndMilk

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
Everyone is entitled to their opinions on this including yours. I would say that Bowman has done more than the minimum. What would be more than minimum in your eyes.

Also I should add that I shouldn't have quite said that Beach endorsed him. Kennedy did though. But with both, Bowman has been in contact with them for over a year (Kennedy longer) and he had a good conversation with Beach before the hire. So I do believe Beach will endorse him when he talks about this, which I assume because they have a relationship.

With your story, you have seen the product of evil acts so I definitely get it. Bowman was the GM though, and I think they start thinking of players like pieces on a board game and just want to win. It happens on these boards even. I don't think Bowman will ever fall into that trap again
The effort he put in is a good first step but it all seems so dishonest to me. I mean how long did Bowman work with Kennedy? A bit longer than 2 years? That's enough nowadays for a rape enabler? He should have the greatness to step back and not let his ego tell him: ''I want to work in the NHL again, I want to work with young people.'' But I guess money and social position meant more. 2 years lol, that's like a speedrun back to GM'ing.

Kennedy also profited greatly from Bowman's name so it went both ways Imo.

I hope he won't f*** up again.

Thomas Tatar

To sum up my thoughts. I agree with most that even if you take the SA stuff out of the picture, Bowman’s track record speaks for itself (and not in a good way).

The optimistic few of the group that think maybe we can hope he really proves us wrong. Wouldn’t it be nice to hire a candidate for once that doesn’t have to prove us wrong to succeed? Instead, we eagerly anticipate all of their moves ala Jackson this offseason because they are smart GMs with a good track record? Why can’t we hire a good GM???

The very slight optimistic side of me (it dwells in some nether region of my brain) is that Bowman had a similar situation in Chicago with two star players and mucked up extending their window. Maybe he learned and has a strategy for avoiding that this time!?

We’ve heard him admit his mistakes with the Kyle Beach situation but I’d love to actually hear him admit his mistakes about GMing. Most of these guys are too proud for that. Bowman strikes me as the same. :(

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
To sum up my thoughts. I agree with most that even if you take the SA stuff out of the picture, Bowman’s track record speaks for itself (and not in a good way).

The optimistic few of the group that think maybe we can hope he really proves us wrong. Wouldn’t it be nice to hire a candidate for once that doesn’t have to prove us wrong to succeed? Instead, we eagerly anticipate all of their moves ala Jackson this offseason because they are smart GMs with a good track record? Why can’t we hire a good GM???

The very slight optimistic side of me (it dwells in some nether region of my brain) is that Bowman had a similar situation in Chicago with two star players and mucked up extending their window. Maybe he learned and has a strategy for avoiding that this time!?

We’ve heard him admit his mistakes with the Kyle Beach situation but I’d love to actually hear him admit his mistakes about GMing. Most of these guys are too proud for that. Bowman strikes me as the same. :(
I'm by no means defending the decision to hire Bowman, but he did say in his presser that he learned from mistakes in Chicago and would look at doing things differently.

He could have said "we won 3 cups in 6 years asshole." But it seemed like he genuinely realized they kinda screwed up that situation.

I don't know. Don't like the hire, but I'll give him a chance. He really needs to put some work in to get the fans on his side.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

The Kane signing had waaaaaaaaay better optics. He got his contract terminated over covid nonsense that i dont belive were ever substantiated. Plus had full custody of his child over what appears to be a mentally unstable x-partner. His gambling debts are his to own and hopefully has taught him some lessons.
The difference with Kane, no matter how you gauge which allegation was worse, is that Kane was a very good player who also filled a big need so it was worth the trouble to bring him in. Bowman has not been a good GM for a long time so it's hard to understand what JJ saw in his GM resume to make it worthwhile to offset the really bad optics of the hire and the inevitable backlash that would ensue.
Plus, one player has much less of an impact on an organization than a GM does.

Regardless, it is what it is now, Bowman is the GM so no handwringing over the hire is going to change this so I'm personally just going to stop complaining about my personal feelings on the issue and am ready to just support the team and his hopeful redemption. He did come across well in the presser and in the later interviews so it's.....something.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
The day after, I still don't understand this.

Regardless of the work he has put in, why put yourself and the team through this stress if you're JJ?

There are so many qualified people out there. Bowman wasn't the best of the bunch. He's another Chiarelli. Got credit for winning with a team that another man built, and then butchered it with bad trades and contracts.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Draisaitl for Brandon Saad trade coming, would be about the same as the Panarin for Saad trade. Can’t believe they hired this numpty, it makes no sense whatsoever.
He also added Panarin for nothing, so that's a weird point. It's not like he was going to be able to keep Panarin. If Bowman got us the next Panarin, hed have to trade him too. There is a cap.

He did make mistakes with the roster but he is coming in at the same point in the team's evolution. It's about maintaining the core rather than building it. Hopefully he learned from his mistakes. That's probably why he got hired. In his interviews, he was likely the only one who had detailed plans and understanding of our team and its challenges

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Yes but this is the job that Bowman is inheriting here too. His job in Chicago was very much to keep the team together as best he could into a long term contender. Tallon was cup or bust, and it was actually cup AND bust, as what he built was so loaded up that it was destined to fall apart.

Bowman did make impactful moves such as adding Panarin, but mostly he had to make a lot of lateral moves and work along the margins. That is exactly what we need now. We have the core already. We have our Hossa even (Hyman)
Hyman is our Sharp. We might never get our Hossa. I honestly was hoping to get Buch but he re-signed.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The day after, I still don't understand this.

Regardless of the work he has put in, why put yourself and the team through this stress if you're JJ?

There are so many qualified people out there. Bowman wasn't the best of the bunch. He's another Chiarelli. Got credit for winning with a team that another man built, and then butchered it with bad trades and contracts.

I'd guess the level of autonomy scared away some of the "top prospect" GMs out there. Like I bet a guy like Darche has enough hype to walk onto a bad team like Columbus and call all the shots.

Jackson made it clear he's going to be working closely with the GM and be a large part in decision-making. I think the list of guys willing to work like that would be pretty short and just be a list of guys like Botterill who butchered rosters without even winning anything.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
The effort he put in is a good first step but it all seems so dishonest to me. I mean how long did Bowman work with Kennedy? A bit longer than 2 years? That's enough nowadays for a rape enabler? He should have the greatness to step back and not let his ego tell him: ''I want to work in the NHL again, I want to work with young people.'' But I guess money and social position meant more. 2 years lol, that's like a speedrun back to GM'ing.

Kennedy also profited greatly from Bowman's name so it went both ways Imo.

I hope he won't f*** up again.
Explain how he is a rape enabler? His boss said he'd take care of it.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I'd guess the level of autonomy scared away some of the "top prospect" GMs out there. Like I bet a guy like Darche has enough hype to walk onto a bad team like Columbus and call all the shots.

Jackson made it clear he's going to be working closely with the GM and be a large part in decision-making. I think the list of guys willing to work like that would be pretty short and just be a list of guys like Botterill who butchered rosters without even winning anything.
I look at it as Bowman is another voice, without "full autonomy" like Chiarelli had
I'm not sure how many GMs were willing to come into a "championship caliber" team with the roster set and be the GM without final say

yes, they could've picked a better candidate because Bowman is average to below-average, but he's got the experience they were looking for

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
It's just a bad look after everyone made fun of the virtanen PTO last year. Then Bowman this year. Who is it next year that gets to "put in the work" and have a PTO in 25 26? Mike Mcleod?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Hyman is our Sharp. We might never get our Hossa. I honestly was hoping to get Buch but he re-signed.
Imo we don't need Buch. We need that 2nd line RD. But meh. Maybe they will just put Broberg there and it will work out

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
It's just a bad look after everyone made fun of the virtanen PTO last year. Then Bowman this year. Who is it next year that gets to "put in the work" and have a PTO in 25 26? Mike Mcleod?
Virtanen and Bowman were found not guilty.

Mike Mcleod might be the guy who picked up the girl. There's a difference

Ad

Upcoming events

• Armenia vs Latvia
    Armenia vs Latvia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $135.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Georgia vs Czech Republic
    Georgia vs Czech Republic
    Wagers: 3