Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & Executive VP- press conference at 10:30

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Has there even been a GM that has successfully GM’d a post-Cup aging prime core? Like you look around at the Pittsburghs, Chicagos, LA, and soon Tampas of the League. They win Cups, their best players get old and shitty, and there doesn’t seem much that can be done to right the ship when it’s already sinking.

This is an important point

And each one of those fanbases hand wrings that a “better” GM would have brought them more Cups

Reactions: oilers'72

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
Such a tonedeaf and unneccassary descision. There is no win here. Either they:

1. Do not win the cup = fail
2. Win with Stan, which contaminates the whole thing! Who want's to see a bully celebrate the cup?

F**k me!

Not gonna renew my subscriptions.
Oh be real lol. A Bully? WTF

Don't renew it. Don't even watch. Put your money where your mouth is. Too many SuperMoral Hulkamanicas in here. Get ahead of it. The fact is, nobody will miss any of you.

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
Oh be real lol. A Bully? WTF

Don't renew it. Don't even watch. Put your money where your mouth is. Too many SuperMoral Hulkamanicas in here. Get ahead of it. The fact is, nobody will miss any of you.
Ok person who joined 3 days ago.

I don't think you have to be "super moral" to realize what a low point this decision is.

...and again. Joined 3 days ago. Block.

thedarkstark

Jun 22, 2012
This is an important point

And each one of those fanbases hand wrings that a “better” GM would have brought them more Cups
I get that you look at Stans resume and see "3 time cup winner" but if you actually look at the rosters that won, he was responsible for bringing in exactly 1 core player (Hossa). And if you look at his trade history, he lost them all. Dale Talon built those teams, Stan deserves zero credit, he lucked into a dynasty and proceeded to piss it away piece by piece.

Stan inherited: Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmerson (top 3 D the entire dynasty run), Kane, Toews, Sharp (3 of the top 6 forwards the entire run), Crawford & Neimi (the starting tenders for entire dynasty run).

Other instrumental pieces Stan inherited and proceeded to throw away for peanuts: Brian Campbell, Dustin Byfuglien, Andrew Ladd, Brian Bickel, Dave Bolland, Marcus Kruger, Kris Versteeg.

I won't make any further comments as I don't want to pile on here but I just think you should all be very upset about this move because Stan is a bad GM in addition to being a bad human.

Reactions: Vagabond

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Lots of his post-Cup moves were terrifying tbh, lots of bad in there, but the hope is that him collaborating with JJ will create a different outcome here.

What needs to be distinguished is that the “terrifying” moves were after the third Cup win. I would suggest that matters to a degree.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I get that you look at Stans resume and see "3 time cup winner" but if you actually look at the rosters that won, he was responsible for bringing in exactly 1 core player (Hossa). And if you look at his trade history, he lost them all. Dale Talon built those teams, Stan deserves zero credit, he lucked into a dynasty and proceeded to piss it away piece by piece.

Stan inherited: Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmerson (top 3 D the entire dynasty run), Kane, Toews, Sharp (3 of the top 6 forwards the entire run), Crawford & Neimi (the starting tenders for entire dynasty run).

Other instrumental pieces Stan inherited and proceeded to throw away for peanuts: Brian Campbell, Dustin Byfuglien, Andrew Ladd, Brian Bickel, Dave Bolland, Marcus Kruger, Kris Versteeg.

I won't make any further comments as I don't want to pile on here but I just think you should all be very upset about this move because Stan is a bad GM in addition to being a bad human.
Hossa was signed by Talon too. Bowman literally didn’t make a single meaningful addition to that first cup team as GM.

Reactions: RattsSSV

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

My second team is the Hawks. I don’t need really need a lecture on what he did and didn’t do.

The Hawks didn’t need more core players, they needed solid depth to win the next two Cups. This team also doesn’t need more core players. Bowman wasn’t my first choice from a hockey perspective, but I wasn’t exactly sold on the other candidates either (Botterill?? Mark Hunter? Meh)

In any case, he won’t have the autonomy that he had with the Hawks. It will be a collaborative effort with Jackson. Whether or not that leads to Cup(s) remains to be seen

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Also shouldn't need to be said but don't harass the person managing the Oilers' Twitter account. They're just a person doing their job, they don't have anything to do with the hiring process.
Also, don’t spit on or punch people who are just out exercising their right to free speech. :nod:

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
Ok person who joined 3 days ago.

I don't think you have to be "super moral" to realize what a low point this decision is.

...and again. Joined 3 days ago. Block.
What does that have to do with it?

I actually said at first I don't like the PR of it

But gimme a break to everybody here.

You guys got a nice job as a GM. Making $$. You find out this happens. You report it PROPERLY to your higher ups

THEY TELL YOU it is being handled

You have done your job right there

You guys wanted this guy to blackball and destroy his career b/c THE GUYS UP TOP WHO SAID THEY WERE HANDLING IT, DIDN'T.?

lol

No way in HELL anybody here would say "I would have just ran to tHe MedIa and ruined my enTIre eArniNgs"

BS

Unless you already have a shitload of $$

What a bull of crock. Maybe 1/1000 might have b/c they have no long term vision.

I didn't like the hire, but get the eff of of your high horses here. THat is not how life works for most people.

From this thread I would think Stan was the one in that trainers room

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Well I can honestly say that I wasn't thrilled with this news. With that being said JJ has done a great job so far and he has had dealings with Bowman in the past. Like it or not we need a manager that can sell players on wanting to be here and take less to win (maybe that was his specialty in Chicago? Getting guys to sacrifice $ for the betterment of the team until the last Kane and Toews contracts. No idea if this was the case but Keith for instance had one of the best contracts in the league for a long time). JJ will also still be involved while Bowman will be the one doing the daily grind stuff so even if Bowman might not be that great he shouldn't be going all Simple Jack without JJ signing off. If Kyle Beach has made peace with Bowman, who am I to keep piling on? He now knows how to handle such situations (hopefully he never has to again) and a chance like this is not something that he'll want to waste. The big boys extensions and hopefully upgrading the D are areas that Bowman can hopefully take care of. Otherwise what's the point of the hire?

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
But here is a legit honest question here

I did not like the signing for PR

If you guys were in his position, did the proper thing and reported it up to the POHO and probably owner, and they told you it will be handled and thank you

How many of you, with a family and career, would then x amounts later, go against your team to "ruin" yourself?

In the media, you would actually be a Hero. It would be a good moral move.

I still don't think most people would f*** themselves career/financially wise there

I just don't. That is human nature

Even if it is the right thing to do

People are selfish individuals. It's always been that way

I think he is being ragged on too much here. Should he have put a tracing tag on Aldrich for 10 years

Reactions: oilers'72 and K1984

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
If it was Calgary that hired him I’m sure some of the posters in this thread would be singing a different tune.

Sexual assault stuff aside, the dude has been a mediocre (and that’s being generous) GM for the past decade.

Totally unnecessary hiring IMO from both a PR and hockey standpoint.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Waited until the night to see what others are saying, but everybody's entitled to their opinion whether I agree with them or not.
I for one just can't say I like the hiring of Bowman in any sorts of aspect. I can commend him for what he did to better himself as a person after the Beach incident. I'm not even gonna say that Stan Bowman never deserves to work in hockey again. People can get second chances. But getting to jump right back into one of the most sought after GM roles in the league with a team that has two of the best players in the world, 2 goals away from winning the SCF in G7, and then being able to lock up majority of their players for a run again next year? Questionable hire for the Oilers at a time when the fan base was feeling very good from the recent moves JJ made since the draft and free agency hit. A home run GM choice would've been Darche or Janko. Heck, I would've been at least okay with Hunter to get away from any kind of PR disaster that came immediately once Bowman got hired by this organization. Chiarelli was shit. Holland had his bad and good. I just don't see how Bowman was considered the best option available realistically when there were rumors of other potential GMs.

Lowetide worded it perfectly.
"I don’t think Bowman’s resume is close to the best available. I think the organization fractured the fan base and I do not believe it will be worth it in the end."

I'm still gonna cheer for the team and especially the players regardless as I love the Oilers, but hiring Bowman as the GM is something I personally cannot support as a fan.

Reactions: Vagabond

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
But here is a legit honest question here

I did not like the signing for PR

If you guys were in his position, did the proper thing and reported it up to the POHO and probably owner, and they told you it will be handled and thank you

How many of you, with a family and career, would then x amounts later, go against your team to "ruin" yourself?

In the media, you would actually be a Hero. It would be a good moral move.

I still don't think most people would f*** themselves career/financially wise there

I just don't. That is human nature

Even if it is the right thing to do

People are selfish individuals. It's always been that way

I think he is being ragged on too much here. Should he have put a tracing tag on Aldrich for 10 years

The notion that Bowman would have “ruined” his career by doing the right thing is baseless speculation at best.

I know I’ve stood up to my employer when I’ve seen something not right going on. I imagine lots of people on this forum have too. I’ll also say that I’ve had middle management advocate on my behalf to their bosses as well. It doesn’t make you a hero. It maybe contributes to you being a decent human being.

Whether Bowman committed a wrongdoing shouldn’t be questioned here. It’s an agreed upon fact by everyone involved, Bowman included.

Last edited:
Reactions: RattsSSV

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
The notion that Bowman would have “ruined” his career by doing the right thing is baseless speculation at best.

I know I’ve stood up to my employer when I’ve seen something not right going on. I imagine lots of people on this forum have too. I’ll also say that I’ve had middle management advocate on my behalf to their bosses as well. It doesn’t make you a hero. It maybe contributes to you being a decent human being.

Whether Bowman committed a wrongdoing shouldn’t be questioned here. It’s an agreed upon fact by everyone involved, Bowman included.
Bowman could have "ruined" his career

BUT other organizations maybe would have said we respect that, but nobody would have that fast

I am thinking from his perspective. That is what most would have done.

I think it's pure bs that somebody said they would do the opposite unless they were already set in life.

It doesn't make it right. I don't even like the guy, but I think he is being sh** on so hard

But that's his own doing coming back to the NHL too. He deserves all of the heat now. . Most people just like giving heat though. No critical thinking. Cancel Culture etc.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Bowman could have "ruined" his career

BUT other organizations maybe would have said we respect that, but nobody would have that fast

I am thinking from his perspective. That is what most would have done.

I think it's pure bs that somebody said they would do the opposite unless they were already set in life.

It doesn't make it right. I don't even like the guy, but I think he is being sh** on so hard

But that's his own doing coming back to the NHL too. He deserves all of the heat now. . Most people just like giving heat though. No critical thinking. Cancel Culture etc.
I disagree with the bold. I think plenty of people would have done something different.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
What does that have to do with it?

I actually said at first I don't like the PR of it

But gimme a break to everybody here.

You guys got a nice job as a GM. Making $$. You find out this happens. You report it PROPERLY to your higher ups

THEY TELL YOU it is being handled

You have done your job right there

You guys wanted this guy to blackball and destroy his career b/c THE GUYS UP TOP WHO SAID THEY WERE HANDLING IT, DIDN'T.?

lol

No way in HELL anybody here would say "I would have just ran to tHe MedIa and ruined my enTIre eArniNgs"

BS

Unless you already have a shitload of $$

What a bull of crock. Maybe 1/1000 might have b/c they have no long term vision.

I didn't like the hire, but get the eff of of your high horses here. THat is not how life works for most people.

From this thread I would think Stan was the one in that trainers room

It's funny. People who say they will not support the Oilers are turning into a minority lately due to the amount of people who have actually educated themselves on the situation. Same thing happened with Evander Kane and his allegations, which as soon as people educated themselves, saw it's Kane's ex-wife who's the issue. This is why I said before, people need to come at this with a LEVEL HEADED approach. Not an inflated ego.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It's funny. People who say they will not support the Oilers are turning into a minority lately due to the amount of people who have actually educated themselves on the situation. Same thing happened with Evander Kane and his allegations, which as soon as people educated themselves, saw it's Kane's ex-wife who's the issue. This is why I said before, people need to come at this with a LEVEL HEADED approach. Not an inflated ego.
And of course the mains are full of people who don't want to be educated. They will not give up their precious permission to hate on something, and hating on the Oilers is an easy sell

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Interesting that Kennedy requested to be at the press conference to SUPPORT Stan. Kennedy knows more about rape victims in hockey than any one of us. If he’s worked with Stan for 2 years and realizes he’s changed and is convinced he will NOT be a detriment to victims moving forward, can help, and has felt true remorse and regret for his actions, then I’m gonna have to go with that. Stan deserves a chance…
Hockey fans already made up their mind on this. He could be the best citizen ever, help the community, do charity work, everything. It won’t matter. Plus, well, he’s not a very good GM either. He does deserve a second chance though.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Tappara Tampere @ HC Dynamo Pardubice
    Tappara Tampere @ HC Dynamo Pardubice
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $105.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Armenia vs Latvia
    Armenia vs Latvia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $135.00