Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & Executive VP- press conference at 10:30

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Dumb decision that makes absolutely no sense
It makes sense if JJ just absolutely loved the skills and knowledge that Bowman would bring.

We are entering perhaps the toughest time of this core team's existence. We need to give raises to players while transitioning away from some older players in the coming years. The expectation is to win one or multiple Stanley Cups. Even if they felt Bowman was only slightly better than the other options they obviously felt they needed it.

As for the business decision, the Oilers are going to take a hit for this, so they must feel that the team will be a contender and that every fan that leaves will have another one to take their place

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
It makes sense if JJ just absolutely loved the skills and knowledge that Bowman would bring.

We are entering perhaps the toughest time of this core team's existence. We need to give raises to players while transitioning away from some older players in the coming years. The expectation is to win one or multiple Stanley Cups. Even if they felt Bowman was only slightly better than the other options they obviously felt they needed it.

As for the business decision, the Oilers are going to take a hit for this, so they must feel that the team will be a contender and that every fan that leaves will have another one to take their place
We just finished months of people paying 2k/ticket for playoff tickets. I doubt Stan Bowman is going to kill up all that demand. Really the demand was crazier than I ever thought it could be and sustained through 4 rounds. I don't know that any NHL team in history ever saw so much playoff gate in one postseason.

Overall ticket demand will be based on the team on the ice in fall and the results most recently had. The Oilers are a goldmine.

Kinibo

Apr 11, 2013
Regardless of which side of the argument you fall on, the amount of debate this decision generated was entirely predictable and is Exhibit A for how tone deaf and arrogant this organization is. I’m as old school as they come but even I understand the importance of optics. If there is a significant portion of the diehard fanbase that thinks this reflects poorly on the org, like it or not you have to think there are players around the league who feel the same way. And that’s what concerns me; we finally get back to being a desired destination, and with the stroke of a pen we go from Stanley Cup contender juggernaut to the club that hired Stan Bowman. In one braindead decision, we have shifted the entire focus and identity of the Edmonton Oilers. All because for some inexplicable reason, we determined we had to have THIS guy and only THIS guy. It makes no sense.

As fans we should not have to be having this discussion. The org should be hiring someone for whom the only debate should be about his actual bonafides, but there’s little room for that discussion now because it’s been drowned out by the politics of the situation. Once again, the Oilers do what they always do. And once again, the fans are left to swallow their own puke.

Reactions: K1984 and Shizuka

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
What was the rush, exactly?
If there was it was because it was laid out early that the Draisaitl extension talk would start with a new GM, since Drai would want to know what he would be tying himself to. I guess we can just hope he buys into the idea that if Beach is OK with Bowman than so is he. Also apparently other teams offered Bowman the job (I'm skeptical)

It's also not like there would be new candidates emerging. Picking now vs picking late August doesn't add anything

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
I have been on both sides.

Lets say this happens and you tell your superior and you know it goes up to the top. They tell you it is going to be handled....

You don't think it is after x amount of time.

How many Moral Supermans would then just go to the police on their own and lose their entire livelihood?

Me? I think maybe 1/100

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Regardless of which side of the argument you fall on, the amount of debate this decision generated was entirely predictable and is Exhibit A for how tone deaf and arrogant this organization is. I’m as old school as they come but even I understand the importance of optics. If there is a significant portion of the diehard fanbase that thinks this reflects poorly on the org, like it or not you have to think there are players around the league who feel the same way. And that’s what concerns me; we finally get back to being a desired destination, and with the stroke of a pen we go from Stanley Cup contender juggernaut to the club that hired Stan Bowman. In one braindead decision, we have shifted the entire focus and identity of the Edmonton Oilers. All because for some inexplicable reason, we determined we had to have THIS guy and only THIS guy. It makes no sense.

As fans we should not have to be having this discussion. The org should be hiring someone for whom the only debate should be about his actual bonafides, but there’s little room for that discussion now because it’s been drowned out by the politics of the situation. Once again, the Oilers do what they always do. And once again, the fans are left to swallow their own puke.
You do have a point.

I have no positive or negative feelings about Bowman's managing ability as i did not follow the Blackhawks (or his minor league teams). Presumably, Jeff Jackson likes him and thinks he's right for the task. Whatever, we'll see how he does.

But it is a bit odd in terms of the team's culture and image. There's this hugely positive vibe around the club the past couple of years, they're now Western conf. champs, and Jackson pulled rabbits out of hats to re-sign key players. Everything seemed surprisingly great, for once, in an off-season. Bowman may turn out to be a great GM, but in the meantime the club's P.R. image and overall "optics", as you put it, take a hit. So, just based on that, it's an odd hire.

To be honest, though, I think nothing that Bowman does is going to be hugely important in the current Cup window. The Chiarelli and Holland periods are what will largely determine success or failure in 2024-25, and maybe in 2025-26. After that, I think the current core's Cup window is pretty small, maybe too small. Bowman's period of influence (if he lasts long enough) will start in about two or three years....

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

Nice alt. 170 posts in 11 years! You must save this one for when you're angry. Next thing you know, there will be a billboard out like with Lowe!
🤣

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
We just finished months of people paying 2k/ticket for playoff tickets. I doubt Stan Bowman is going to kill up all that demand. Really the demand was crazier than I ever thought it could be and sustained through 4 rounds. I don't know that any NHL team in history ever saw so much playoff gate in one postseason.

Overall ticket demand will be based on the team on the ice in fall and the results most recently had. The Oilers are a goldmine.
If stan bowman showing up lowers ticket prices so I can go to more games.

Love that.

Too bad thats not reality.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
If stan bowman showing up lowers ticket prices so I can go to more games.

Love that.

Too bad thats not reality.
Reminds me of all of the people who can't afford a Single Family Home, thinking that lower rates will help them and a housing collapse will be great. News Flash. The upper class and rich class will buy them all up

Reactions: oilers'72

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Daryl Katz is they reason they haven't won a Cup. His meddling set them back years. This may be the first GM in a long while that didn't inherit a problemed roster.
Katz is also the reason the team still plays home games in Edmonton.

Reminds me of all of the people who can't afford a Single Family Home, thinking that lower rates will help them and a housing collapse will be great. News Flash. The upper class and rich class will buy them all up
Rates going down, just means house prices go up.

As someone who bought a house at the highest of the rates, I cant wait for lower rates as my price is already locked in.

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
Katz is also the reason the team still plays home games in Edmonton.

Rates going down, just means house prices go up.

As someone who bought a house at the highest of the rates, I cant wait for lower rates as my price is already locked in.
You and me both. Built a 2nd one while my rate doubled and I waited for possession. Nice builder. Launch Homes. . Renewals coming up should help.

Reactions: oilers'72

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
JJ fits right in the Oilers. This has the stink of Kevin Lowe and all that was wrong with the organization for so long.

Always trying so hard to be the smartest in the room they end up tripping and falling on their face.

Mediocre hockey move at best. Focus on "knows a thing or two to win championships" and ignores everything else no matter how bad.

PR nightmare. Can seriously impact resigning McDrai.

So obviously dumb I just can't understand how anyone can be that stupid.

Upper management... No offense to any reading this who is but... so strange how dumb this move is... only an out of touch upper management type could even remotely think this is even an acceptable signing.

Someone needs to modify a dumb and dumber gif with the redemption line.
Okay. You usually only show up to say stuff like this because you enjoy negativity so I'm not surprised at all by your thesis

They've even got a petition going to fire Bowman lol.
It's on Twitter too. Drama Queens posting it so they can get clicks and be known. Pathetic

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
To all the people who say they aren’t going to support the team… See you in April lol. Or next week, or tomorrow. You’ll all come around and provide some warped justification for why you’re still here following and discussing the team.

Pretty sure half of the fanbase quit on the team after Kane, sure was a loud playoffs run with only half the fans left. :sarcasm:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Pretty sure half of the fanbase quit on the team after Kane, sure was a loud playoffs run with only half the fans left. :sarcasm:
Am I the only one that thinks the Kane signing is worse than this from a non hockey standpoint? At least at the moment of signing? Like all the shit Kane was accused of doing was far far far worse than what Bowman did.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
I really don't want to look at this guy's face ~350 times a year. And my level of distain over 14 year old events isn't nearly as strong as most people. Leave the Oilers' redemption arcs to the odd player as at least that comes with a discounted cap hit.

Reactions: Kolja

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
Such a tonedeaf and unneccassary descision. There is no win here. Either they:

1. Do not win the cup = fail
2. Win with Stan, which contaminates the whole thing! Who want's to see a bully celebrate the cup?

F**k me!

Not gonna renew my subscriptions.

Reactions: PBandJ

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007

Maybe. I know Jackson saying fans opinions don’t matter really struck a chord

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad