Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & Executive VP- press conference at 10:30

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I doubt it. See my latest reply.
If you're referring to your redemption angle, I kind of have to disagree.

Giving players a 2nd chance for relatively minor transgressions that will blow over after a press conference or two isn't a huge deal. Mactavish is a much more serious case, but his incident happened so far back that I doubt most players know about it, and reporters aren't going to be harrassing them about it either.

Bowman's issues are much higher profile, much more recent, and has a chance of turning into a side show every time they go to a new city and a reporter wants to dig for a fresh quote.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
jim-carrey-mad-eating-3rq0sf8wxwc4msuc.webp

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Ironically Bowman came accross somewhat well and Jackson came across poorly based on the press conference. I think its just Jacksons demeanour, he comes across as disinterested and non caring.

Move still doesn’t make much sense to me. I think Bowman is mediocre to average, so this just seems like an unnecessary hire when you add all the baggage/drama to it.

I don’t believe Jackson when he says be didn’t discuss it with the core. Hes just protecting his players. He doesn’t want people thinking McDavid is the GM.

At the end of the day, Hockey is a fun and entertaining sport, but probably shouldn’t or let your kids be look upto role models of the majority of players/hockey alumni.
Not entirely sure of some of your wording. I think you wrote that quickly. In anycase I'm not too worried. As far as compass McDavid and Draisaitl, Nuge, others are of considerable merit as role models. As sporting or entertainment tends to go they are excellent role models. I was here for the 80's when half the team were abusing Cocaine, having orgies in pools and far worse.

I'll take these current players as role models anytime.

Reactions: oilers'72

Balakay14

Sep 17, 2019
Well the writing was on the wall for a while, and it came true today. Can't say I agree with this decision, as I don't know what Bowman gives you that another candidate can't, it's not like he's some GM savant, his resume is mixed at best, and I don't think too many people here would have had him as ideal candidate even if the scandal didn't exist.

Really seems like a shortsighted move that's going to have negative repercussions.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

Giving players a 2nd chance for relatively minor transgressions that will blow over after a press conference or two isn't a huge deal. Mactavish is a much more serious case, but his incident happened so far back that I doubt most players know about it, and reporters aren't going to be harrassing them about it either.

Bowman's issues are much higher profile, much more recent, and has a chance of turning into a side show every time they go to a new city and a reporter wants to dig for a fresh quote.
I think the present players are immune and above such vitriol. They have accepted Kane, Perry, others with open arms. They will be fine with this and will have been consuted on this. The team are not milquetoast players that will be harmed by views and increasingly we're seeing a cancelling of cancel culture. Winds have changed and are changing.

Bowmans issues happened a longtime ago as well and they were not his sole transgressions. At worse he was the manager that looked off, looked away. he was not the perpetrator, or primary perpetrator.

In anycase I feel with that I might have gone too far on a slippery slope. Just saying.

It is my take the players like a challenge and like being stalwart and taking on the world. Consider it that way and McD's whole penchant for stating "none of you guys believed in us and here we are, we love proving doubters wrong" Thats the same energy they will bring forward.

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
Jackson going private on twitter last night speaks volumes to me

Oh well
What’s done is done, time to move on.
At least our young prospects and their parents can rest assured that the organization has their best interests at heart and there is now a man in charge who wouldn’t allow untoward activities to go on under his watch

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Yeah, MacT had his issue in the mid 80s. Not only is it nearly 40 years ago, but it was also a time when drinking transgressions were far more acceptable back then.

Reactions: oilers'72 and Tarus

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
I think Jackson lied about he didn't consult with the players. I'm sure he talked to McDavid prior.
I find it surprising too, but maybe he called Brian and asked him to talk to the boys while they were working out and prepping for the wedding??? :naughty:

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Even putting all the SA stuff aside he's still not a good GM. Go ask Hawks fans how they feel about him.

Why lie about it? They're going to get asked now how they feel about it since they apparently weren't consulted.
I care about Hawks fans on a message board opinions about as much as I care about yours. Less than zero.

Jeff Jackson has been involved in hockey operations for decades, you sit in an office in front of a computer and punch numbers into spreadsheets. I think I’ll trust his opinion over that of a nobody.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Yeah, MacT had his issue in the mid 80s. Not only is it nearly 40 years ago, but it was also a time when drinking transgressions were far more acceptable back then.
MacT was hired by the Oilers as a player, in quicker succession than Bowmans timeline.

i don't think your point stands, or I'm not understanding it.

Bowman also was not the culprit. MacT was.

Could also be stated that in both instances mores are blurred through time. In fairness.

Reactions: oilers'72

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Jackson going private on twitter last night speaks volumes to me

Oh well
What’s done is done, time to move on.
At least our young prospects and their parents can rest assured that the organization has their best interests at heart and there is now a man in charge who wouldn’t allow untoward activities to go on under his watch

I didn’t think he would hire him personally but the writing was on the wall early on.

End of year presser said he was planning on hiring GM by mid July. League announced Bowman was free to be re-hired like a week after free agency. Jackson pretty much had this planned since the end of the season. Just needed a week or two to get media in check and prepare for the press conference. I don’t think he really even interviewed others.

Time will tell if its a good move.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I care about Hawks fans on a message board opinions about as much as I care about yours. Less than zero.

Jeff Jackson has been involved in hockey operations for decades, you sit in an office in front of a computer and punch numbers into spreadsheets. I think I’ll trust his opinion over that of a nobody.
You're correct, the Oilers have been an expertly run operation the past 20 years or so and the opinions of fans of teams who are personally familiar with their body of work aren't worth anything, just like those of Red Wings fans who warned us about Holland.

Regardless of how you feel about the opinions of others, Bowman's body of work speaks for itself and there are numerous posts in this thread highlighting how poorly he managed the Blackhawks. But if you want the Cole's Notes version go check Seth Jones' contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad