Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & Executive VP- press conference at 10:30

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

@Pavel10 @ChaoticOrange here is the exact wording JJ used.

If Kyle Beach - the victim - and Sheldon Kennedy who was an ex-player and victim of serial sexual abuse who runs one of Canada’s pre-eminent sexual abuse awareness groups - are endorsing that Bowman has and continues to make positive change in the hockey world then I will give Bowman the benefit of the doubt that he has learned that silence is dangerous.

One of the victims, not the victim.

Supportive of reinstatement isn’t the same as an endorsement, and I’ll feel better then I hear it from Beach directly. That’s a purposefully nebulous statement.

It also doesn’t mean Bowman was the best fit for the job.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Thanks for taking the time to stop by and weigh in. Appreciated.

As to whether this is the right move for the Org the Oilers have had a tendency to look at Managers best work rather than full body of work and so that has cost us at times so there is that. But I'm not seeing a Chiarelli here and not Holland either. I think somebody that might be better as a manager.

That said my overall view on Holland is he did well enough here. Good moves and bad as is the case with most GM's.

Part of the problem is Chiarelli and Holland didn't have bosses, Bowman does, and a competent one at that.

If Bowman was brought in as the President & GM (ie sole decision maker), I would be quite fearful of the consequences. That isn't the case here, and Jackson isn't going to just let him rip and do whatever he wants. There is infrastructure and competence around him as a stop gap if he ends up going in a wrong direction.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Surprisingly poignant for a hockey forum, well said.

Hawks fan here, not very happy he's gotten another job. Especially since he realistically could win a Cup his first year back. I agree with you entirely about the changing of societies values over time, how it's not fair to make present day judgments on the actions of the past, and that forgiveness drives society forward.

HOWEVER I'm of the belief that what happened was so awful the consequences must be drastic to ensure nothing like this ever happens again. Bowman and Q have had long careers of success and made a lot of money. They weren't entirely or even mostly at fault for what happened, you all should direct that blame towards our slippery former President, Jon MacDonough, who all these details were passed up to by subordinates that he then sat on for a decade. A man who has been dead-silent on this issue.

If Bowman and Q are to be brought back in it should be through the lower ranks first and they should have to earn their previous roles back. Being away from the game for a few years isn't enough. It just doesn't feel right that Stan Bowman gets to come back and run one of the league's best teams right away.

As far as the on-ice product Bowman has a mixed bag of success. We're talking about it on the Hawks board now. His drafting and trades were 1000% crucial in getting the Hawks back to being an elite team from 2013-2015. That is undeniable. He also made bad decision after bad decision from the 2015 offseason onwards aside from originally signing Panarin. I'm not sure he has had the pulse of the league for the last 8 years. I don't believe he's good at identifying NHL talent and I don't believe his idea of roster construction will translate.

Best of luck to the Oilers going forward, I was rooting for you guys to win it all last year.
His biggest issue was the league's salary cap, and he really was no different than other GM's of successful teams who eventually have to face up to that.. He managed to keep the core together, which was hugely important to get another 2 cups, but after that, like all teams that get to that point, the well runs dry with constantly trying to fill in with cheap scrubs and giving up lots of high draft picks due to trade deadline purchases. Don't kid yourself, the Oilers payment for giving up picks and assets will eventually come to bite them when the core ages out and the cupboard is bare. Pittsburgh, LA , the Hawks and now the Lightning are the most recent examples. I just hope we can win a cup or 3 before those days arrive.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Only thing that made me happy today is when Jackson said he doesn't need to consult players for coach and management decisions.

We need to get away from this "but mcdavid is tight with him" culture. Gives me hope that Nurse can be moved.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Ironically Bowman came accross somewhat well and Jackson came across poorly based on the press conference. I think its just Jacksons demeanour, he comes across as disinterested and non caring.

Move still doesn’t make much sense to me. I think Bowman is mediocre to average, so this just seems like an unnecessary hire when you add all the baggage/drama to it.

I don’t believe Jackson when he says be didn’t discuss it with the core. Hes just protecting his players. He doesn’t want people thinking McDavid is the GM.

At the end of the day, Hockey is a fun and entertaining sport, but probably shouldn’t or let your kids be look upto role models of the majority of players/hockey alumni.

Last edited:

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Supportive of reinstatement isn’t the same as an endorsement, and I’ll feel better then I hear it from Beach directly. That’s a purposefully nebulous statement.

How is “he was very supportive of Bowman’s reinstatement” nebulous?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Only thing that made me happy today is when Jackson said he doesn't need to consult players for coach and management decisions.

We need to get away from this "but mcdavid is tight with him" culture. Gives me hope that Nurse can be moved.
I think Jackson lied about he didn't consult with the players. I'm sure he talked to McDavid prior.

Reactions: Ben Grimm

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

lol talk about splitting hairs.

At the point Beach himself could host a press conference supporting Bowman and you lot would be convinced he was coerced or parse his words, etc.

It's ok to just admit that no matter what anyone does and says that you don't want Bowman in the league. Drawing a line in the sand "Beach needs to endorse him!" then back track or split hairs when that ends up being the case is silly.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Just when we thought management was turning the corner, this reeks worse than a Chia or Holland hiring. He has a cup, hire him.
It's not like Bowman is known for standout GMing either.
All that goodwill JJ built up over the summer is just thrown out the window in a matter of seconds.

Reactions: Senor Catface

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Part of the problem is Chiarelli and Holland didn't have bosses, Bowman does, and a competent one at that.

If Bowman was brought in as the President & GM (ie sole decision maker), I would be quite fearful of the consequences. That isn't the case here, and Jackson isn't going to just let him rip and do whatever he wants. There is infrastructure and competence around him as a stop gap if he ends up going in a wrong direction.
This is my thoughts as well and that the org just seems to be better run and constructed then when we took on Chiarelli.

I don't know either that there will be wrong direction. My experience in life is those that have suffered can make amends and learn from it.

To wit a guy like Kane being a choir boy in the room that must've bit his lip a lot of times. Sure he flapped his gums about icetime but not the worst thing to want to be on the ice more.

Reactions: Oilhawks and K1984

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Lying is not a good look regardless of the reason. Either they didn't consult the players or they did and are hiding something.
And in players, if you are trying to manage your superstars and get them to extend, it has always been the contention that they would need to see the direction of the franchise, who was going to be running things. If for a moment we believe that Connor and Leon wouldn't be aware of this? Christ, I knew this was happening on the weekend from my media buddy.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Woof...

At the very least he has Kennedy vouching for his work/improvements, can't really question he's been doing leg work to show improvement during his 2 year suspension.
Going into this I was expecting something closer Babcock situation, who just went back to U-Sports for a few years, and stated he learned a lot through the power of self-reflection.

But was this enough time for Bowman? Or more importantly rather, has he grown enough in that time? The cynic in me leans no, but Kennedy is a qualified voice in this sphere; plus Bowamn has spoken and worked with Beach in that time.

Next question, is he actually a good GM? He did a decent job keeping the band (which Tallon built) together for several seasons, but I don't see a ton of quality moves post 2015 outside of Breadman.

Still, unless you're damn sure Bowman is so far above the field, why deal with this s**tshow? Even if you're confident he'll develop into a force for (better) change on this front in hockey, you're giving your chosen GM those extra hoops to jump through, while he needs to re-sign Drai, Bouch, and Connor over the next 23 months.

On an unrelated note, what are the odds Toews is an Oiler before TC?

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
His biggest issue was the league's salary cap, and he really was no different than other GM's of successful teams who eventually have to face up to that.. He managed to keep the core together, which was hugely important to get another 2 cups, but after that, like all teams that get to that point, the well runs dry with constantly trying to fill in with cheap scrubs and giving up lots of high draft picks due to trade deadline purchases. Don't kid yourself, the Oilers payment for giving up picks and assets will eventually come to bite them when the core ages out and the cupboard is bare. Pittsburgh, LA , the Hawks and now the Lightning are the most recent examples. I just hope we can win a cup or 3 before those days arrive.
Personally, I think that's a cop out. Partially at least. The cap limited his options and the core got older. Both are very true. He made a lot of bad decisions though and that can't be overlooked or waived off due to the cap.

It seems like most of the work will already be done for Stan this season as you guys really just need to upgrade your defense and make some TDL moves so I wouldn't be surprised if you guys win a Cup. Going forward however I still think he's not going to be an adequate decision maker for your team. Best of luck though and I'll leave you Oiler fans to it.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
And in players, if you are trying to manage your superstars and get them to extend, it has always been the contention that they would need to see the direction of the franchise, who was going to be running things. If for a moment we believe that Connor and Leon wouldn't be aware of this? Christ, I knew this was happening on the weekend from my media buddy.
Players have lives outside of the team. Again, why lie about it?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Ironically Bowman came accross somewhat well and Jackson came across poorly based on the press conference. I think its just Jacksons demeanour, he comes across as disinterested and non caring.

Move still doesn’t make much sense to me. I think Bowman is mediocre to average, so this just seems like an unnecessary hire when you add all the baggage/drama to it.

I don’t believe Jackson when he says be didn’t discuss it with the core. Hes just protecting his players. He doesn’t want people thinking McDavid is the GM.

At the end of the day, Hockey is a fun and entertaining sport, but probably shouldn’t be or let your kids be look upto role models of the majority of players/hockey alumni.
That's what I think too. And he'll be the one telling Draisaitl the future direction of the team and the one to convince him to sign here.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Personally, I think that's a cop out. Partially at least. The cap limited his options and the core got older. Both are very true. He made a lot of bad decisions though and that can't be overlooked or waived off due to the cap.

It seems like most of the work will already be done for Stan this season as you guys really just need to upgrade your defense and make some TDL moves so I wouldn't be surprised if you guys win a Cup. Going forward however I still think he's not going to be an adequate decision maker for your team. Best of luck though and I'll leave you Oiler fans to it.
Then I think LA, Pittsburgh and now Tampa are using that as a "cop out " as well. Even the best GM's can make some bad moves. The trouble is that, when you are on the downward slide, you can't cover them up with brilliant play of a bunch of other guys anymore.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

@Pavel10 @ChaoticOrange here is the exact wording JJ used.

If Kyle Beach - the victim - and Sheldon Kennedy who was an ex-player and victim of serial sexual abuse who runs one of Canada’s pre-eminent sexual abuse awareness groups - are endorsing that Bowman has and continues to make positive change in the hockey world then I will give Bowman the benefit of the doubt that he has learned that silence is dangerous.

slow clap

Reactions: McBooya42

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
This is my thoughts as well and that the org just seems to be better run and constructed then when we took on Chiarelli.

I don't know either that there will be wrong direction. My experience in life is those that have suffered can make amends and learn from it.

To wit a guy like Kane being a choir boy in the room that must've bit his lip a lot of times. Sure he flapped his gums about icetime but not the worst thing to want to be on the ice more.
Unless your name is Stuart Skinner, right?;):laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad