Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & Executive VP- press conference at 10:30

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Didn’t JJ state he reached out to Beach two weeks ago and recieved his endorsement?
He said he connect with beach. He didn't not say he had his endorsement for the hire. Even Bowman said he called beach as a courtesy to say he's taking the job.

Reactions: oilers'72

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
A good team gotta have at least one CEO/POHO or GM. At least we know Jackson is pretty good. In the past, we had Bob/Chia and Bob/Holland. Before any deals get done, it's going to through Jackson first so that's good

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
That’s the way they are trying to spin it. I can believe it if I see him making tangible efforts that are sincere and impactful, but I still have huge doubts.
Bouchard's 12m extension I'm sure will convince everyone that this was an extremely bad idea.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I’m sorry but this is not something anyone should ever be able to “atone for” and just pick back up where they left off in their life. His actions, or rather inactions played a major role in this abuser being given the opportunity to harm even more people.

Every single person involved with the organization at the time who had any knowledge of these incidents shouldn’t ever be allowed to work in the NHL again. They all made a decision to allow someone who needed to be turned over to police and investigated immediately, to instead resign in order to save face and allow him to continue doing all of the horrible shit he was doing.

I don’t care who gives you a letter of reference after something like that. You should have to spend every day of your life working towards improving yourself and making the world a safer place for everyone, especially the abused, on top of never being allowed to work in the NHL again.

This guy has the privilege of being able to do almost anything he wants with the amount of money he’s made, but for some reason so many people are talking like he “needs another chance”.
Like hell he does. When you take a chance with someone who’s been at best, complacent in covering up something like sexual assault, the risk is so insanely skewed away from the person who should be the one held accountable, and instead you put every single person in the organization at risk.

As a fan, I’m glad they announced this in July, because as bad as this team has been at times over the years, I’ve never once felt like rooting for them wasn’t at all aligned with my own moral compass, whereas this hire has done exactly that. I understand that many are going to look past everything and continue to unapologetically cheer their hearts out for this club, but I’m certain I’m not the only one who is questioning whether this team, or honestly the NHL as a whole is the kind of organization you want to support in any way.

Judging from Bowman’s presser he has been and clearly stated that he will continue to work with youth hockey to improve hockey culture from hazing and bullying to sexual harassment and assault. He sounded sincere in his regret that his silence caused harm and wishes to change that in hockey and society.

He did not actively cover anything up but was silent when told others would be dealing with this in the organization.

If people chose to not believe in the sincerity of his words fair enough. But then you have to doubt all the hard great work Kennedy has and continues to do as well.

I believe Kennedy, and it certainly sounds like Beach as well, have seen substantial growth and sincerity from Bowman who seems anxious to continue to now improve the game and society.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Sounds like we agree on lot of things. I think where we differ is that I believe he shouldnt have been given such a great opportunity so short after such a massive scandal. And two, I think hes a shit GM so regardless shouldnt have been hired.
I don't think he should be given this opportunity either simply from a PR and hockey point of view.
The issue I have with people and posts in this thread is either making shit up to hate him more, falsely placing blame or misrepresenting what has happened in this situation. Or people clamoring to hear from Kyle Beach or throw money at him.

Reactions: oilers'72

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Bouchard's 12m extension I'm sure will convince everyone that this was an extremely bad idea.
I’m actually less worried about the actual hockey operations knowing that JJ has to sign off on every major thing.

I just don’t know why he would hire a controversial figure like this just to be a puppet GM.

Reactions: nally

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Is calling the police not an option anymore?
the national sexual violence center figure is 63% of rapes and sexual assaults go unreported.

Now put yourself in the shoes of a 6'3, 210 pound man in an ultra macho sport trying to report that he was sexaully assaulted by a 5'8 150 pound man threatening to use his influence to end your career.

I'd put money down that Beach didn't think the police would take him seriously.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I’m actually less worried about the actual hockey operations knowing that JJ has to sign off on every major thing.

I just don’t know why he would hire a controversial figure like this just to be a puppet GM.
If anything this hiring proves that JJ isn't any better than his predecessors. Or that he was never actually in charge of anything.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I just can’t believe how ballsy this is by Jackson.

For his next act, he’s going to hire Kyle Beach just to really play with the emotions of people upset by the hiring.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I just can’t believe how ballsy this is by Jackson.

For his next act, he’s going to hire Kyle Beach just to really play with the emotions of people upset by the hiring.
You joke but I think this is a very real possibility.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
the national sexual violence center figure is 63% of rapes and sexual assaults go unreported.

Now put yourself in the shoes of a 6'3, 210 pound man in an ultra macho sport trying to report that he was sexaully assaulted by a 5'8 150 pound man threatening to use his influence to end your career.

I'd put money down that Beach didn't think the police would take him seriously.
If you get harassed, you're just going to assume the police don't want to do their job?

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Unless you're a low wage employee your employment with the Oilers is permanent no matter how shoddy of a job you do. If only they treated their fans as well as they treat each other.
The funny thing is I know professional people that work for Daryl Katz and his wam organization. I can't believe how toxic it is for office staff.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The funny thing is I know professional people that work for Daryl Katz and his wam organization. I can't believe how toxic it is for office staff.
I had a cousin who used to work security for the arena. Of course, layoffs happened because... well, your guess is as good as mine. But the old boys club continue to make millions after failing for years.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Dumbasses gonna dumbass.

I get someone putting up with the crapstorm for Q, but why bowman lmao. He's so mid.

Unless the list was 6 names, and the first 5 were on NHL teams that didn't give you permission to hire, I don't get it. Knew we were f***ed the media started shilling for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad