Jun 22, 2012
The Oilers offseason has been great…
IMG_0215.gif

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
So the fact that they had to spend the first minutes doing damage control makes you feel better?
that at the very least they’ve talked to Kyle Beach and that Stan had been in contact with him and that he had the “okay”. Which I didn’t know.

While I do think Stan deserves a second chance, I also think he should never be back in the league in any capacity. My 2 cents.

Minnesota Knudsens

Apr 22, 2024
Man. This is the first time in 40 years that I’ve legit felt bad for Oilers fans. They’re the cup favourites this year even without this ridiculous move.

TCIH

Nov 26, 2007
Montreal
Rooting against the Oilers until Stan Bowman is gone, at which point (whenever that is) I will go back to hoping they win the Stanley Cup.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
So what exactly did he do?
Seeing everyone jumping on the guy and it makes sense that Oilers could have easily avoided this drama.. but exactly what makes this person a POS so that I could join in the bashing fun.
Are you serious? He gave a known sexual predator a positive performance review to his next employer and then molested a kid while in that position. If you don't think that makes him a POS then we have nothing to discuss here. Maybe try using Google next time.
Not sure why the message I replied to didn't show up before.

Reactions: Hoochi Papa

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
Bowman released a statement shortly after the announcement, saying "the team needs to focus on its future, and my continued participation would be a distraction."

"Eleven years ago, while serving in my first year as general manager, I was made aware of potential inappropriate behavior by a then-video coach involving a player," he said. "I promptly reported the matter to the then-President and CEO who committed to handling the matter. I learned this year that the inappropriate behavior involved a serious allegation of sexual assault. I relied on the direction of my superior that he would take appropriate action. Looking back, now knowing he did not handle the matter promptly, I regret assuming he would do so."

Reactions: TheOne and LTIR

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
His second chance is not being in jail
For what?

""Eleven years ago, while serving in my first year as general manager, I was made aware of potential inappropriate behavior by a then-video coach involving a player. I promptly reported the matter to the then-President and CEO who committed to handling the matter. I learned this year that the inappropriate behavior involved a serious allegation of sexual assault. I relied on the direction of my superior that he would take appropriate action. Looking back, now knowing he did not handle the matter promptly, I regret assuming he would do so. "

that's his crime

Reactions: Voight and TheOne

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
that at the very least they’ve talked to Kyle Beach and that Stan had been in contact with him and that he had the “okay”. Which I didn’t know.

While I do think Stan deserves a second chance, I also think he should never be back in the league in any capacity. My 2 cents.
Sure. Everyone deserves a second chance. But not when it comes to working with teenagers after covering up a sexual assault.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Absolutely sickened by this hire as an Oilers fan. I get we're going to get piled on because most of you other fan bases hate our guts... but there are just as many in the Oilers fan base completely disgusted about this hire as well. A terrible f***ing call and hire by Jackson, and a god damn weird hill to die on considering that asshole's track record as a GM. He's a f***ing nepo baby hire because of his last name, another example of the 'good ol' boys' club who walked into a gold mine because of it and all the work Tallon did building the team, and now walks into this too.

Just a completely stupid, irrational choice and Jackson is a spineless craven for privating his twitter and hiding like this. Gutless, and a truly terrible hire. Just an awful day for Oilers fans.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Are you serious? He gave a known sexual predator a positive performance review to his next employer and then molested a kid while in that position. If you don't think that makes him a POS then we have nothing to discuss here. Maybe try using Google next time.
That’s not what he did.

I love how people hear something once and just run with it

Reactions: Bartcal and TheOne

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
For what?

""Eleven years ago, while serving in my first year as general manager, I was made aware of potential inappropriate behavior by a then-video coach involving a player. I promptly reported the matter to the then-President and CEO who committed to handling the matter. I learned this year that the inappropriate behavior involved a serious allegation of sexual assault. I relied on the direction of my superior that he would take appropriate action. Looking back, now knowing he did not handle the matter promptly, I regret assuming he would do so. "

that's his crime
I'll take people who were just born yesterday for $1000 Alex.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Just so you know, he wasn’t the one that acquired Toews, Kane, Keith, Byfuglien and Seabrook. He inherited the core pieces for those cups.

True those 5 he inherited along with some others from previous 3 GM's

- Toews + Kane + Hjalmarsson + Kruger were drafted by Tallon
- Versteeg + Ladd + Sharp acq via trade by Tallon
- Campbell + Niemi (UDFA) were signed by Tallon
- Bolland + Brouwer + Bickell were drafted by Pulford
- Keith + Seabrook + Byfuglien + Crawford were drafted by Smith

Bowman did bring in from Cup winning teams

- Saad + Shaw + Teravainen + Nordstrom via draft
- Madden + Hossa + Kopecky + Rozsival + Emery + Raanta (UDFA) + Darling (UDFA) + Richards + Van Riemsdyk (UDFA) via FA
- Leddy + Oduya + Stalberg + Frolik + Handzus + Versteeg (2nd time with team) + Vermette + Desjardins + Timonen (Yeah he was cooked but still team rallied around him on way to cup) via trades

Notable draft picks not from cup teams he drafted

Kevin Hayes - 2010 1st (Didn't sign with team)
Justin Holl 2010 2nd (Hawks didn't sign him)
Phillip Danault 2011 1st
Vinny Hinostroza 2012 6th
Ryan Hartman 2013 1st
Tyler Motte 2013 4th
Nick Schmaltz 2014 1st
Alex Debrincat 2016 2nd
Henri Jokiharju 2017 1st
Philipp Kurashev 2018 4th
Kirby Dach 2019 1st
Alex Vlasic 2019 2nd

Also acquired Gustav Forsling in trade and then traded him away because new coach was not fan (Same reason Joker was traded away)

Several good players he traded away young which was major part of his undoing in 2nd half of his tenure as Hawk

Last edited:

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Lmao. Jeff Jackson creates a tonne of goodwill over the summer only to throw most of it in the bin over this garbage.

I can understand taking a flyer on Q, he's a great coach where the side show can be better justified. What's the upside here? You have to deal with a bunch of off ice crap for a mediocre or less than GM

Lmfao.

Skeletorrr

May 15, 2011
Finland
Oh boy...I was actually kind of ready to root for Edmonton next year (because I felt like they deserve another shot at the cup) but this kinda makes me wish they never win a cup. Ever.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
For what?

that's his crime

Well it's certainly his description of it.

That's the most cowardly statement I've ever read. Opening with pointing out that he was only a first year GM is quite something. I guess they don't tell you about not covering up sexual assault until year two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad