Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Seems like some mixed emotions. He'll get over it and so will we I guess.

One thing I noticed on Puckpedia is that Holloway and Broberg will still be RFAs (but with arb rights) after the two years. Isn't that costing them money in the long run in not being a full UFA?

Broberg and his agent are rotten skunks by the way. lol
It's unlikely to cost them much money, I can't recall the last time an arbitrator awarded significantly less money than the player is currently already making. Broberg shouldn't be seeing less than 4m on the next contract even if he sucks.

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
In today’s NHL you don’t get away with gaping holes in the lineup. If you have a soft 3rd pair it will get decimated, if you have non-NHLers out there you’re in for a bad time. The games are tight. We lost a 1 goal game in game 7 to Florida with a strong roster.

McLeod, Holloway, Broberg all out is a huge loss of team speed and youth.

Broberg Desharnais Ceci being out is a huge loss of elite opposition defenders and SIZE.

If you’re talking about competing for a cup, it’s ALL about the margins. McDrai can’t carry 10000 lbs, you need to lighten the load. We could have used an upgrade to guarantee a cup, now we have a downgrade. The window is closing too, with the team getting way older. The noose is tightening.

With the exception of McLeod who this team is going to miss a lot more than his hate parade thinks the players you listed WERE the major holes you are complaining about. The idea that Desharnais and Ceci were capable elite opposition defenders is especially ridiculous.

Edmonton has the same hole today it did when it lost game 7. 2RD. Losing Broberg, Ceci, and certainly Vinny freaking Desharnais didn't change that.

Reactions: Duke74

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
ok, but none were missing a Top 4 d-man before the season started like the Oilers...my point is, all of the those teams were deeper and had a legit top 4 before the season started
To be fair, we were missing a top 4 dman before last season started too.
We were missing one in the playoffs.
We still made the finals.

Reactions: Leo360 and Duke74

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
So with the 900k and accrued cap space. That probably gets us an 4.4M player. Double that if we can get 50% retention. You know which player makes 8.8M(8.7M to be exact) and is considered an elite grinder?

• Love
Reactions: CycloneSweep

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So with the 900k and accrued cap space. That probably get us an 4.4M player. Double that if we can get 50% retention. You know which player makes 8.8M(8.7M to be exact) and is considered an elite grinder?
Do we have the assets to acquire such a player? Because we don't have a first this year or many prospects worth a lot.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I hate the narrative going around that the Oilers didn’t give Broberg any opportunity here. He had opportunities to outperform competition in training camps but never took the ball and ran with it. His appearances as an Oiler left me highly unimpressed. How can young players be given more minutes if they don’t show much of anything?

It also sounds like he has been pining for a move out of here for months and his agent was very active in making that a reality.
Note to management: When a player requests a trade due to “usage”, they’re really just thinking of themselves and not the team as a whole. It’s best to just accept the request and gain some assets in return.

Now Broberg has secured his bag (can’t blame him for signing that ludicrous offer sheet) and will likely be gifted top 4 minutes on St.Louis based on a small playoff sample size. We shall see how that works out for him.

As for Holloway, I’m disappointed that he signed the offer sheet. I’m sure we could have worked something out with him for a few hundred thousand less. I don’t think he had very knowledgeable people around him as he probably would have found himself on our 3rd line this season (and most likely would have had first dibs in the top 6 if a player went down due to injury). I think he will regret signing the offer sheet as potentially playing in our top 6 could have added much value to future contracts. I think he was roped into this a bit by Broberg and his agent but at the end of the day, he had the choice to not sign on the dotted line.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Sure, they were. Go back and look at those rosters.
I have, when Vegas won 2023, all 4 of their top 4 d-men had been there for years
Florida last year, only Mikkola was "new" but he was there from the start of the season
Colorado, I already mentioned Manson being acquired at the deadline but Girard and Byram and Johnson were playing top 4 minutes...they were deep
TB had acquired McDonaugh years before they finally won the Cup...their top 4 was set with Hedman, Sergachev, McDonaugh and Cernak

I know you can acquire a top 4 dman during the season, but most Cup winning rosters aren't desperate like the Oilers are

To be fair, we were missing a top 4 dman before last season started too.
We were missing one in the playoffs.
We still made the finals.
yeah but we are weaker on the backend now, with less depth

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I have, when Vegas won 2023, all 4 of their top 4 d-men had been there for years
Florida last year, only Mikkola was "new" but he was there from the start of the season
Colorado, I already mentioned Manson being acquired at the deadline but Girard and Byram and Johnson were playing top 4 minutes...they were deep
TB had acquired McDonaugh years before they finally won the Cup...their top 4 was set with Hedman, Sergachev, McDonaugh and Cernak

I know you can acquire a top 4 dman during the season, but most Cup winning rosters aren't desperate like the Oilers are

yeah but we are weaker on the backend now, with less depth
I mean so is Florida. Florida is a top 4 dman short...so is Dallas, LA, Nashville, TB, Toronto and Winnipeg so when you include us thats 50% of last years playoff teams and 3 of the Final 4 from last year.

Reactions: McDNicks17

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I mean so is Florida. Florida is a top 4 dman short...so is Dallas, LA, Nashville, TB, Toronto and Winnipeg so when you include us thats 50% of last years playoff teams and 3 of the Final 4 from last year.
Florida's defense isn't as good, but they have a Cup
Dallas has a good top 4 of Heiskenen, Lindell, Harley and Dumba
LA, Nashville, TB, Toronto and Winnipeg aren't legit Cup contenders IMO...all were bounced in the 1st round for a reason

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Florida's defense isn't as good, but they have a Cup
Dallas has a good top 4 of Heiskenen, Lindell, Harley and Dumba
LA, Nashville, TB, Toronto and Winnipeg aren't legit Cup contenders IMO...all were bounced in the 1st round for a reason

Edmonton's top 3 is better than Dallas's top 3 and Dumba at #4 is as unplayable as anyone the Oilers are going to trot out there. Might be worse honestly.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Edmonton's top 3 is better than Dallas's top 3 and Dumba at #4 is as unplayable as anyone the Oilers are going to trot out there. Might be worse honestly.

Looking at Dumba's stats, -18 last year, minus player even after going to Tampa and minus again in the playoffs with almost all of his offense evaporating too. Yikes.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
Do we have the assets to acquire such a player? Because we don't have a first this year or many prospects worth a lot.
This is my biggest concern. Great, we have cap space.

Now wtf do we trade for anything good? We have no good tradable assets. Even Henrique cost a first last year, and we pretty much need his equivalent on the backend.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This is my biggest concern. Great, we have cap space.

Now wtf do we trade for anything good? We have no good tradable assets. Even Henrique cost a first last year, and we pretty much need his equivalent on the backend.

2026 1st
2025 2nd from St. Louis
2025 3rd from St. Louis

Should be enough to get things done.

There's not a ton of point in keeping the 26 1st, even if that pick hits as a late round selection, you're waiting how long for them to be a roster regular? 3 years maybe? That's too far out.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I'm more sad that Holloway is leaving. I think he's the one that could really regret this decision in the future if a cup is won in Edmonton. I always found watching him entertaining.

St.Louis is going to be an interesting team to watch this year for sure. I hope they fall flat of their faces purely in the interest of the draft pick positions. But I'm also curious to see how Broberg and Holloway look on another team.

Broberg particularly is an interesting one to watch. Defensemen tend to be much more dependent on the strength of roster and partner to help them. I've never been sold on Broberg but admit he did a good job in the playoffs. But he was no world beater by any means. Strudwick on got yer back had concerns about the pressure he's signed himself into and I agree. I honestly expect Broberg to be a UFA at some point again in the next 2 years. Next year if he's awful this year and gets bought out. Or perhaps the year after when he has to be qualified but his play just doesn't justify it. So after saying that with my Oileritis he'll probably crush it and get a Nurse contract haha

Reactions: ujju2 and McDrai

North

Jun 25, 2009
I'm talking about the same season

Florida's top 4 d-men were set before the season last year, TB's was too, and same with Vegas...now maybe we get lucky and Emberson turns in Mikkola, but I'm not banking on that

on D? Ceci, Broberg and Desharnais are better than Emberson, Stetcher and J. Brown

clear downgrade
Are they? Desharnais was healthy scratched when it counted. Ceci is a great guy but not a great defender. Broberg has a very small body of work that is promising. Emberson also has a small body of work but his numbers were great on a bad team.

Reactions: Oilhawks

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
2026 1st
2025 2nd from St. Louis
2025 3rd from St. Louis

Should be enough to get things done.

There's not a ton of point in keeping the 26 1st, even if that pick hits as a late round selection, you're waiting how long for them to be a roster regular? 3 years maybe? That's too far out.
The first is worth less due to it being further down the road. The 2nd and 3rd have some value depending on where the Blues are in the standings but most likely they are mid-round picks.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The first is worth less due to it being further down the road. The 2nd and 3rd have some value depending on where the Blues are in the standings but most likely they are mid-round picks.

A little less, but it's not like it becomes the value of a 2nd, it's still a 1st. If you want to make a fairly significant trade, you can do it.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Tyler Wright set this team back with his crappy drafting.

1997 - 2000 was bad. So was 1984-1990.

Awful.

Got me to thinking, if his best picks were guys that took so long to show a pulse that they were vulnerable to offer sheets, not a good look. (I know, obviously good players have been offersheeted in the past like Aho but I think in his case it was the Canes trying to be cheap?)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I view that as a lost due diligent opportunity. Make a second offer and gage response. Have check in calls with other GMs to feel out market interest and assert intent to match any offers but still ascertain trade interest to keep all options open.

Jackson's been in that chair as a super agent so I just have to believe with the soured relationship including trade request made that he'd have a clear eyed view of Ferris's motivations for his client. Trigger the radar that an offer sheet is one tangible weapon to fight for his client.

I've stopped viewing Holloway and agent as an innocent dupe in this situation. His eyes were wide open to the reality of moving and comfortable with this as a business decision.

Time to turn the page.
Exactly. In asset management how is it not incumbent on a team to maintain communication, make other offers etc.

People are forgetting that its Management role to manage assets, acquire assets, retain assets. Its their bloody job. So that the contacts should be coming from the Manager further to closing a deal. Not to make one lowball offer and never say anything on it again. The latter conveys not even caring about the assets.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Any situation can be avoided, but the cost is too great. Again, this whole crying over spilt milk thing just makes no sense. If someone wants to come and steal toilet papers that's already been used for wiping, then can go right ahead...

The bottom line is Broberg is not worth anywhere near 4.6mX2. Full stop. The guy was requesting trades as a newly minted RFA because he was too shit to get into the roster over the likes of Vincent Desharnais.

Yeah once upon a time they signed young pedigree players. I'm still looking for where those players are to sign, because it ain't Holloway and Broberg lmfao. A team paying those types of players 7m per year is not a serious team.
People reacting to it because its cumulative and not isolated problem. For instance that none of the first picks under Holland even remain with the org. That is either horrific drafting or terrible asset management or both.

Again we only have 2 players even in the roster from the last 10 yrs of Oilers drafts. Since McD we've only landed on two that we bothered to keep. Thank god one of those is Bouchard.

Bro and Holloway could still be impact players. Thats the thing with valued prospects. There isn't a level of hockey that Holloway hasn't succeeded in, in spades.

Turn this around. If this was the Hope era and the Oilers had just obtained two first round players everybody would be saying how good this was and that we stole these players from the drafting team. Damn well we would be. This isn't folly to pry two prospect first round assets from another club.

Broberg was a better option than Desharnais the whole time Vinny was here. That part is poor argument. VD was not better, he was just the one selected, and by a coach that was fired.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Before this there were only two successful offer sheets signed in the salary cap era, and both of them involved a 1st round pick going back the other way (and one of those was a major overpay done for revenge). The fact we put ourselves in a position where we'd lose our RFAs for only a 2nd/3rd round pick is simply a screw-up by management.
This narrative is tired. They both knew an offersheet was coming and wouldn't sign with Edmonton until they were overpaid on an OS (grossly so in Broberg's case)

St. Louis is a mid team that can afford to take this risk. Oilers are a cup-level team that can't gamble on these contracts.

Both players refused to talk contract during the season and then wanted to wait for offersheets in the offseason.

You can't negotiate with someone that isn't negotiating.
Can we pin this to the first post?

Some people just cannot seem to grasp this.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad