Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Fine. thats 16 of our EV playoff goals and most of the lot of those coming in the last couple series. Hell most of our EV goals in the final series is those missing players. Just saying.

Only two forwards on this team had more EV playoff goals than Holloway and Mcleod.

Take a look at the highlights of the Holloway goals, when they came, how huge they were and tell me there was nothing there.

I'll miss some of these players.
And im sure we'll hear about it all year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Profound injuries impact every aspect of play. Arvie has not been a solid two way player for awhile. Not since the two back surgeries and lower body injuries. He's a limited player now and one that LA moved on from. Its likely that his A game is done. I watch the Kings a lot. At no point since being back was Arvie 100% and he wasn't playing without concern. Sometimes playing gingerly and tentatively like one would expect somebody with multiple back surgeries. (Disc surgeries) to be.

Said it before but if its me I would retire. Health and quality of life is more important.

Arvie is a warrior with an unending fire in his body, make no mistake, I liked his work in LA, but his body is giving out. No quit in the guy and all kinds of courage. The mind is willing, but the body isn't.
He came back from injury and put up 6 goals and 15 points in 18 games with 5 ES goals playing almost 17 minutes an night. He had 18 blocked shots 8 takeaways. I can't argue with your view of how he was playing since I would be lying if I said I watched him much during that period, but what he produced is perfectly acceptable for what he is being paid.

Reactions: capazzo

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It's about how the players feel divorced from all realities of the situation viewed by different parties directly involved. Not as funny when the misread costs two top young NHL assets for pennies on the dollar.
The misread comes from drafting players with that kind of character.

Tough to get a read on that pre-draft.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The misread comes from drafting players with that kind of character.

Tough to get a read on that pre-draft.
The modern NHL is trending with young players asserting themselves to control their situations for playing time and financial security. Winnipeg had to trade another one today. Their GM found a viable return. It's a modern workplace trend well beyond hockey.

Long gone are the days NHL players meekly accepted their circumstances. Careers are short, earning opportunities precious, and if real or imagined the signs point to stalled growth, then good millionaire card carrying union bros have options. They chose financial security and open highway opportunity over perceived indifference and limited mobility. Character traits that most employees in any field would choose to do.

It's business. Besides Broberg took the demotion and put in the proving work. Organization had confidence in ability and character to play him in apex diamond cutting competition situation largely on his off shooting side when the veteran Kulak demurred.

Goal posts are shifting.

Last edited:
Reactions: dawunderboy

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The modern NHL is trending with young players asserting themselves to control their situations for playing time and financial security. Winnipeg had to trade another one today. Their GM found a viable return. It's a modern workplace trend well beyond hockey.

Long gone are the days NHL players meekly accepted their circumstances. Careers are short, earning opportunities precious, and if real or imagined the signs point to stalled growth, then good millionaire card carrying union bros have options. They chose financial security and open highway opportunity over perceived indifference and limited mobility. Character traits that most employees in any field would choose to do.
And you’re better off without that type of person on your team.

Give me someone that embraces their role and aims for team success any day.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Adding my edited reply.

It's business. Besides Broberg took the demotion and put in the proving work. Organization had confidence in ability and character to play him in apex diamond cutting competition situation largely on his off shooting side when the veteran Kulak demurred.

Goal posts are shifting.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
He came back from injury and put up 6 goals and 15 points in 18 games with 5 ES goals playing almost 17 minutes an night. He had 18 blocked shots 8 takeaways. I can't argue with your view of how he was playing since I would be lying if I said I watched him much during that period, but what he produced is perfectly acceptable for what he is being paid.
I did watch several of those games. I was interested in what he would look like and where the Kings would place and if we get them again. Not watching you wouldn't know Arvie was hurt in two of those games and with one of those looking pretty bad. The counting numbers are short sample and frankly Kings had an easy stretch and Arvie and others putting up pts against weak clubs.

A full 4/6 goals arvie scored last season were in two games against Calgary and Chicago. I watched both of those badly played games. In the Chicago game particularly where Arvie had 3 pts it was a clown game that looked like both teams were trying to lose. Arvie scoring the tying goal late was a curse more than a blessing. Meant that the Kings play the Oilers who they always lose to.

Arviddson played the worst playoff game of his entire career in game 1. Sobering to watch that. He was awful. Really he wasn't much in the whole series.

I'm a fan of the player but he's mostly done. We'll see a player that can play for spurts but will have trouble maintaining and staying healthy.

Heres an interesting thing too. Arvie wasn't exactly lighting the lamp in LA at EV. His whole 3 seasons there, whole body of work he only had 37EV goals. Meanwhile even a pedestrian Foegele had netted 41EV goals the past 3 seasons. Only mentioning this due to a prevailing view on the board that we're so improved with additions like this. Keeping min mind too Foegele played most of his minutes in bottomsix, Arvie most in topsix.

I'm not even a Foegele fan saying that. But Arvie is a worse EV scorer at this point and has been for sometime. Nor will Arvie be getting much PP time here.

Gee I'm reminded that Jeff Skinner is the poster boy for bad veteran bad team guy. A guy that was a 9M buck joke of a player before being bought out by a team thankful to be rid of the baggage. Only one season in Buffalo where Skinner even applied himself.

The only success Jeff Skinner ever aimed for was getting overpaid. What a team guy. Not a fan of him.

Speaking of "type of person". Jeff Skinner has been uncoachable and uninterested in team success almost all of his career. He's been one of the worst attitude vets in the league. Own zone play completely optional.

What type of player is Jeff Skinner?

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Adding my edited reply.

Goal posts are shifting.
He took the demotion so in stride that he requested a trade and refused to negotiate.

Good riddance.

North

Jun 25, 2009
St
Louis doesn't need luck to pay them
They have the current cap space plus the multi millions from expiring contracts next t year
BRILLIANT move by Armstrong, low risk extremely high potential
These are not great contracts at all based on what they did last season.

St. Louis can afford to overpay for these guys but the Oilers can’t especially without any real guarantee they live up to it. It’s not that brilliant.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Adding my edited reply.

Goal posts are shifting.
You're drinking word salad coffee this morning? hehe

• Haha
Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
It's unlikely to cost them much money, I can't recall the last time an arbitrator awarded significantly less money than the player is currently already making. Broberg shouldn't be seeing less than 4m on the next contract even if he sucks.
Appreciate the response..I was just surprised to see them still in RFA status after the two years.
So it's RFA- RFA(arb rights) - UFA
I guess it depend on the length of the initial contract.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
He took the demotion so in stride that he requested a trade and refused to negotiate.

Good riddance.
Why would a top prospect take serial unwarranted demotions well? Bro should be happy with that?

Both bro and Holloway are saying they want more role, want more minutes. The type of players they are.

They would be here still if they were getting the opportunities and regular minutes and games here.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Good riddance.
Your perspective on the player has been clear for a long time. He didn't seem to have a problem with his teammates and his coach was complementary about the hard ask to onboard in final four playoff competition. Oh ya, take the right side because Kulak, 498 NHL regular season and 76 NHL playoff games doesn't want to. Big moments when character is revealed.

You're drinking word salad coffee this morning? hehe
Slipping on my James Joyce stream of consciousness approach to message board. First thought, verbose and meandering! GUILTY!

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Your perspective on the player has been clear for a long time. He didn't seem to have a problem with his teammates and his coach was complementary about the hard ask to onboard in final four playoff competition. Oh ya, take the right side because Kulak, 498 NHL regular season and 76 NHL playoff games doesn't want to. Big moments when character is revealed.
I'm reminded that when theres much talk of "character" its usually bunk. The kind of thing Chiarelli would say. Remember Wheeler, Hall, Sequin all lacked character according to Chiarelli.

Its a made up term almost any time its used.

Slipping on my James Joyce stream of consciousness approach to message board. First thought, verbose and meandering! GUILTY!
I'll try to add in some Hemingway. Oh lord,good god.

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.”

Looks like Hemingway surrounded himself with fools.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I'm reminded that when theres much talk of "character" its usually bunk. The kind of thing Chiarelli would say. Remember Wheeler, Hall, Sequin all lacked character according to Chiarelli.

I'm told The Sun Also Rises.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
St
Louis doesn't need luck to pay them
They have the current cap space plus the multi millions from expiring contracts next t year
BRILLIANT move by Armstrong, low risk extremely high potential
Heck of a place to put your 1st post. Trolling on the Oilers board. Welcome to HF.

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.”

Looks like Hemingway surrounded himself with fools.
Character is not always made up. Seguin and Hall both had character challenges that get overcomed with maturity, usually on their 2nd or 3rd team. Seguin was a party animal in Boston and Hall was less than a gentleman in Edmonton.

Reactions: Duke74

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
If only a better player gifted Broberg his ideal spot in the lineup. Seems to be a common theme with him.

He got what he wanted. He won't have to work for a roster spot now. That price tag will keep him on the roster no matter what.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Why would a top prospect take serial unwarranted demotions well? Bro should be happy with that?

Both bro and Holloway are saying they want more role, want more minutes. The type of players they are.

They would be here still if they were getting the opportunities and regular minutes and games here.
Unwanted? They both should've played better if they wanted to stay on the team.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Character is not always made up. Seguin and Hall both had character challenges that get overcomed with maturity, usually on their 2nd or 3rd team. Seguin was a party animal in Boston and Hall was less than a gentleman in Edmonton.
Neither suggests lack of character. It suggests youth. When 5 time Oiler cup winners like Mess Fuhr, Anderson were snorting Cocaine, driving over people while high, and having a friend die in his swimming pool did they lack character or mature grounding?

Its ridiculous to judge any 20yr old on character. Lest we all be judged.

Unwanted? They both should've played better if they wanted to stay on the team.
“Oh, now, now, now, the only now, and above all now, and there is no other now but thou now and now is thy prophet.”

;)

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
If only a better player gifted Broberg his ideal spot in the lineup. Seems to be a common theme with him.

He got what he wanted. He won't have to work for a roster spot now. That price tag will keep him on the roster no matter what.
You switch the goal posts. Kinda silly emotional response. Go recheck your character assertion at draft time. He was an extremely rare age 17 letter on Sweden's U20 team and throughout all years of his eligibility. Missed a month of game time and stepped in for his team when they needed a boost and delivered it.

One teammate appreciated it.

Connor McDavid took notice of the Swede's game. He began by talking about his mobility and ability to transport the puck out of pressure, "[he's] skating everywhere, skating pucks out of his zone. He can be a one-man breakout at times. That's what he needs to do to be successful. "His legs are a gift and he's gotta use them."

His head coach had similar praise. Heck even some of the biggest doubters on this board flipped their opinion.

Oilers lost control over a controllable business situation letting an inflationary market determine a new value beyond the one and done lowball offer made.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Well..I thin ktha t they should have committed him to playing excelusively on the left side in the AHL.
Then you shift a vet over to his off side once Broberg gets to the NHL.
You utilize him in a way that actually helps his development and over the long haul helps the team.

What you dont do is exactly what thyey ended up doing.
If I recall correctly, they tried playing Kulak on his off side multiple times, and they eventually gave up, as he wasn't particularly effective. As I said, no room at the inn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad