Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
We have no cap space for an offer sheet. Other team will just match. We will get them back. Just have to wait 10 years.
Exactly!
We also dont have the draft picks (this year anyway) and if we sign everybody in the next couple of years, we wont have the cap space for a while
if we dont sign everybody, there wont be much use in offer sheeting players for quite a while anyway

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
Yeah, the Perry deal is completely buriable. The only actual FA deal that might have affected this is either the Arvidsson or J. Skinner deal.
and both of those deals are not only probably good value deals, as they are both proven NHLers, they are both short term, and they, unlike Holloway and Broberg both could be traded any time we chose to do so, Holloway and Broberg both can't be traded for one calendar year, and at this point, both. have negative value contracts.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Oiler offense remains strong, D is somewhat suspect and oh did you mention the goaltender? Haven't heard about him for a while from the gang here. Let's hope that this is the year when Stu finally emerges as a bonafide (unmistakable) #1 goalie. It should cut down on bandwith requirements for the site.

It won't, because once opinions are entrenched around here people are much, much more inclined to move the goalposts or perform mental math so that the take that they barfed out in August isn't actually wrong come May.

If anything more bandwidth will be used due to the inevitable back and forth. Just earlier in this thread we had a lot of wasted bandwidth due to a poster unwilling to admit that Brown was good down the stretch and in the playoffs because he decided he didn't like him a calendar year ago.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Confirmation here that Bowman squeezed Armstrong for the extra 3rd and Fisher. Bowman essentially told him he needed more to walk from the offersheets. Atleast Blues media are asking the relevant clarifying questions, unlike ours.

I wonder now how this scenario plays out with Holland at the helm. No way he squeezes the extra assets IMO. His negotiations too lazy and incompetent for that to happen.

Just a reminder that Chia is the assistant GM over there. He's the definition of low energy, incompetence. He probably was panicking and said to offer them two 1st rounders to close the deal.

Armstrong's mother told him not to listen and that it's just too much. So here we are with a 3rd and a prospect.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
They never really had a chance to get a whiff. The players refused to talk contract until the offseason and, by that time, they've got Armstrong calling at the same time Jackson/Bowman is.

Trading them probably wasn't much of an option either. No team is going to trade for a guy that's holding out and waiting for an offer sheet.

There's not really anything they could have done better. It was simply two players that wanted to leave/get paid.
if we traded them to a team with a ton of space then that team would not have minded an offer sheet at all. They would just match it. St.Louis would not have tried even. If a player is refusing to talk at all then that should be the biggest red flag of all actually. They really ought to have traded them. Broberg at least, who had a history of being disgruntled and didn't have a LD spot on this team.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Holloway can clearly see the consequences of his actions.

Idk if I've ever seen Holloway not beaming ear to ear before. He looks pissed; he signed a poison pill contract and he knows it. I wonder if he fires his agent. Lol.

He's straight up the 4th LW on their depth chart behind Saad, Neighbors, and Buchnevich.

He's likely not getting top 6 minutes at center either; again 4th behind Schenn, Thomas, or Kyrou.

Maybe he can find some time at right wing, which is kind of weak, but even still he's battling for a spot against Sundquist & Joseph for a top 9 spot because he's likely slotted clearly behind Kapanen and Faksa.

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
it sucks, no one wanted to lose either of these players, we lost 2 good, young players, that both look like are on the verge of taking that next step into developing into every day productive NHLers. Problem is, we couldn't do it without putting ourselves in salary cap hell. No matter what the Oilers chose to do today, it was going to be less than ideal, the second those 2 offer sheets were signed, there was no GREAT outcome for the OIlers. Nothing they did, or could realistically do, was better than having Broberg and Holloway signed at a combined 2.1 to 2.5 million, it's as simple as that.

Stelmacki

May 2, 2017
This Armstrong guy is full of it. He's been GM of the Blues since 2013. No offersheets during his tenure as GM.

I blame sleepy Holland as well but wasn't Jeff Jackson his boss this year?
Armstrong has been with the Blues since 2008 and was part of the Backes/Bernier offer sheets.

Just realized you were talking about GM only, but he has been pretty open about his position on offer sheets for a long time m

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
I'm glad we moved on in the end. After hearing the interviews it's was pretty clear these guys were in contact with each other and fully aware of this poison pill scenario being brewed up. f*** them... They had a hell of an opportunity and decided to go for the money. We need everyone pulling on the same rope...hopefully this is a tough life lesson for these guys.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
if we traded them to a team with a ton of space then that team would not have minded an offer sheet at all. They would just match it. St.Louis would not have tried even. If a player is refusing to talk at all then that should be the biggest red flag of all actually. They really ought to have traded them. Broberg at least, who had a history of being disgruntled and didn't have a LD spot on this team.
That doesn't make sense though.

If a team is trading for Broberg and they know he's going to end up on a $4.6M offersheet, they aren't going to offer anything worthwhile. That contract puts his value at basically zero. You'd be far better off just trading for a different defenseman that isn't paid four times his worth.

The return the Oilers ended up getting is probably about as good as you could hope for.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
We have no cap space for an offer sheet. Other team will just match. We will get them back. Just have to wait 10 years.
It is interesting though what the Blues will do with ncrease of $6M increase in Neighbours, $3M increase in Hofer, and $2M increase in Toropchencko's contracts this coming year under the cap in a years time while Buchnevich is taking on an additional $2.2M in cap space.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
That doesn't make sense though.

If a team is trading for Broberg and they know he's going to end up on a $4.6M offersheet, they aren't going to offer anything worthwhile. That contract puts his value at basically zero. You'd be far better off just trading for a different defenseman that isn't paid four times his worth.

The return the Oilers end up getting is probably about as good as you could hope for.
This they honestly should have just went all in last year and moved them for Buch at 50% after we traded for Henrique as is rumoured.

But we didnt so lets move forward on that.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Idk if I've ever seen Holloway not beaming ear to ear before. He looks pissed; he signed a poison pill contract and he knows it. I wonder if he fires his agent. Lol.

He's straight up the 4th LW on their depth chart behind Saad, Neighbors, and Buchnevich.

He's likely not getting top 6 minutes at center either; again 4th behind Schenn, Thomas, or Kyrou.

Maybe he can find some time at right wing, which is kind of weak, but even still he's battling for a spot against Sundquist & Joseph for a top 9 spot because he's likely slotted clearly behind Kapanen and Faksa.

They've got Toropchenko too. Kid is 6'6'' and just scored 14 goals last year.

Reactions: Memento and iCanada

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
This they honestly should have just went all in last year and moved them for Buch at 50% after we traded for Henrique as is rumoured.

But we didnt so lets move forward on that.
We didn’t have the cap space to fit an extension for Buch. How pissed would people have been if we traded for buch lost the cup and had to see the guy walk? At least with the deal we made we have Henrique for two more years

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Only as strong as your weakest link. Knob trying to figure out how to mitigate the disaster of our 2nd pair was a pain through the season and killed us in the playoffs many times, including the finals. If we had a stable top 4, we likely win the cup. Would have shortened the series against the Canucks that beat up a lot of our players, and stops us from going down 0-3 in the finals. We almost didn't get through the Dallas series too until Nurse-Kulak was tried and worked long enough to get through it. I'd even argue the instability of our D group that Knob was juggling in season was a part of not getting home ice for the Canucks series too.

That spot by Nurse is a very big deal for this team. It wasn't fixed last season, it wasn't fixed going into this summer, and it's not fixed now. But at least we have cap space and some assets to try to fix it now. And seems a GM that my finally be serious about it.
So we’re no worse now than the end of the playoffs by the sounds of it. But they have the ability to get better.

The #4 Dman was not the reason they didn’t win the cup, wasn’t the reason we didn’t sweep the Canucks either. That’s nonsense. Youre only as strong as your best players can carry you.

If what you’re saying was true then Florida would have never won because they had weak links as well.

Reactions: iCanada

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Its kinda amusing. You go and look at HF Blues fans roster and a lot of them have Holloway on the third/fourth line. What extra opportunity is he actually getting there? More prospects nipping on his heels too. Similar to Kostin going to Detroit.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG

Seems like some mixed emotions. He'll get over it and so will we I guess.

One thing I noticed on Puckpedia is that Holloway and Broberg will still be RFAs (but with arb rights) after the two years. Isn't that costing them money in the long run in not being a full UFA?

Broberg and his agent are rotten skunks by the way. lol

Reactions: Sanchez

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

I was going to post earlier that I bet Broberg was fine with the Oilers not matching but that I suspected Holloway would regret this move. There are reasons why it can be a mistake to go for the money too early. Both JP and Yamamoto priced themselves off the team and eventually almost out of the league.

Holloway was in an excellent position to possibly inherit a spot with McDavid or Leon in two years. If he had signed for two years at say $1.2M he would have had little pressure on him and likely would have been used in a variety of ways. Now he is in a position where if he struggles at all he could see himself down the road not getting qualified.

Honestly, he does not look as "excited" as he stated.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

That could cost Holloway millions compared to a 2 year deal here.

Like... That's unbelievably brutal enough that I feel like Holloway would have a case in taking the guy to court for damages.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
We didn’t have the cap space to fit an extension for Buch. How pissed would people have been if we traded for buch lost the cup and had to see the guy walk? At least with the deal we made we have Henrique for two more years
The Oilers would get 2 years with Buch. I think the Oilers beat Florida with him stanley cup finals so that itself is a win,

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
Has Holloway spoke about this yet ?

Still find it is surprising that he signed the offersheet. Think the team has shown a lot of loyalty to him as I don’t think they really wanted to include him in trades.

Probably could’ve pressed the Oilers into a 1.5m contract but seems he really put money as his number one priority. End of the day it seems like the guy just did not want to be here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad