Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I’m sure he’ll totally feel the same way when the shoe is on the other foot. I wonder if we see more rfa’s coming off elc’s with no arb rights refusing to sign an extension now until they have a chance for their agent to call around the league to try and drum up an offer sheet, all it takes is 1/31 to give you some negotiating leverage.

I think it could be a good opportunity for the Oilers though to poach good young players from bad or rebuilding teams who would like to force their way off a team. Make it known that the team will be using offer sheets to poach rfa’s so if your stuck on a rebuilding team and would rather play with mcdavid and Draisaitl on a contender then refuse to sign an extension until July 1 and come talk to us. Oilers structure the deal in the most unpalatable way possible for the current team and then the player signs it and tells his team you can sign me but I don’t want to be here. They likely have the cap space to match but would they want that player back?

What do they do at that point? Over pay a disgruntled player on a short term deal that takes him to ufa or to arb rights with a big QO or let him go and take the comp?

We have no cap space for an offer sheet. Other team will just match. We will get them back. Just have to wait 10 years.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
It makes sense for rebuilding teams looking to add young talent to a roster

Edit although you run risk of inflating all the contracts in house kinda like Tavares and the leafs
Last time an offer sheet was tendered was in 2021 with Kotenemi ,2019 and 2013 respectively. A rare type of transaction. GM's would rather not F each other over for the most part. I understand you're point though. Oilers did it twice in 2007 with arrogant "get a Billboard to fire him" LOWE.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Confirmation here that Bowman squeezed Armstrong for the extra 3rd and Fisher. Bowman essentially told him he needed more to walk from the offersheets. Atleast Blues media are asking the relevant clarifying questions, unlike ours.

I wonder now how this scenario plays out with Holland at the helm. No way he squeezes the extra assets IMO. His negotiations too lazy and incompetent for that to happen.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I’m sure he’ll totally feel the same way when the shoe is on the other foot. I wonder if we see more rfa’s coming off elc’s with no arb rights refusing to sign an extension now until they have a chance for their agent to call around the league to try and drum up an offer sheet, all it takes is 1/31 to give you some negotiating leverage.

I think it could be a good opportunity for the Oilers though to poach good young players from bad or rebuilding teams who would like to force their way off a team. Make it known that the team will be using offer sheets to poach rfa’s so if your stuck on a rebuilding team and would rather play with mcdavid and Draisaitl on a contender then refuse to sign an extension until July 1 and come talk to us. Oilers structure the deal in the most unpalatable way possible for the current team and then the player signs it and tells his team you can sign me but I don’t want to be here. They likely have the cap space to match but would they want that player back?

What do they do at that point? Over pay a disgruntled player on a short term deal that takes him to ufa or to arb rights with a big QO or let him go and take the comp?
I wonder too. But really the offer sheet possibility was available for decades. And barely was used. A unique situation here with the Oilers in that they couldn’t get their guys signed earlier, we’re cup contending and cap strapped with large extensions on the horizon, and with TWO players available to offer sheeted. I’m thinking the frequency of offer sheets probably stays the same.

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
I wonder too. But really the offer sheet possibility was available for decades. And barely was used. A unique situation here with the Oilers in that they couldn’t get their guys signed earlier, we’re cup contending and cap strapped with large extensions on the horizon, and with TWO players available to offer sheeted. I’m thinking the frequency of offer sheets probably stays the same.
I wonder about how many offer sheets there are that we don't hear about too?
How many are offered but aren't signed, if any?

Macblender

May 5, 2014
They also need to be semi tweener players since like while I think looking back a few years ago when i semi lobbied to offer sheet mcavoy people balk at the comp of 4 1sts. Depends on what is going on and where you are at in your competitiveness and core age. But the impact guys just cost too much in terms of comp and still likely get matched. It is really the guys with potential who are buried who you can pry from cap teams.

Reactions: TheNumber4

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Confirmation here that Bowman squeezed Armstrong for the extra 3rd and Fisher. Bowman essentially told him he needed more to walk from the offersheets. Atleast Blues media are asking the relevant clarifying questions, unlike ours.

I wonder now how this scenario plays out with Holland at the helm. No way he squeezes the extra assets IMO. His negotiations too lazy and incompetent for that to happen.

Think with Holland, we have a pretty uneventful July 1st. And we sit on cap space with the plan to go to next year with Knob needing to figure out which of Stecher, Ceci or Broberg goes best with Nurse. Assuming Holland gets Broberg to sign. If not, maybe we bring back Barrie after trading him.

I didn't like that future. Glad it's not happening. Still need a trade though.

Reactions: TheNumber4

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I didn't ask how tall he was, or how many years he played in the league. Asked if anyone would have had him as a sure thing middle pair D man on a Cup team prior to this season.

We almost did it with a combination of Ceci, Desharnais, and Broberg rotating through the position this year. One isn't a Top 4 by any definition, one played all of about 30 NHL games before this season, and the other couldn't beat the other two out for a roster position and is the definition of tweener.

Wouldn't have had any of those guys labeled as Top 4 d men on even a SCF Game 7 finalist, but lo and behold it happened, and that was with a platoon of all of them rotating in and playing before they sucked to much and got forced out. The bar for this position isn't incredibly high.
Yeah people taking about the #4 Dman as if it’s the linchpin of the whole lineup.

“You have McDavid and Drai?? But who’s your #4D man? If he’s more like a 5/6 guy playing on the second pairing then you’ll never, ever be any good as a team”

Reactions: K1984

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

I think that just goes to show how uninterested the Oilers were in matching.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Yeah people taking about the #4 Dman as if it’s the linchpin of the whole lineup.

“You have McDavid and Drai?? But who’s your #4D man? If he’s more like a 5/6 guy playing on the second pairing then you’ll never, ever be any good as a team”

Only as strong as your weakest link. Knob trying to figure out how to mitigate the disaster of our 2nd pair was a pain through the season and killed us in the playoffs many times, including the finals. If we had a stable top 4, we likely win the cup. Would have shortened the series against the Canucks that beat up a lot of our players, and stops us from going down 0-3 in the finals. We almost didn't get through the Dallas series too until Nurse-Kulak was tried and worked long enough to get through it. I'd even argue the instability of our D group that Knob was juggling in season was a part of not getting home ice for the Canucks series too.

That spot by Nurse is a very big deal for this team. It wasn't fixed last season, it wasn't fixed going into this summer, and it's not fixed now. But at least we have cap space and some assets to try to fix it now. And seems a GM that my finally be serious about it.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I think that just goes to show how uninterested the Oilers were in matching.
It seems early on, they made an assessment of what they would do. 4 scenarios as Bowman laid out were possible. They decided on scenario 4, not signing either, then went to work on replacing what they thought were going to be cheap young depth with other pieces. While also making it look like they were clearing cap to match, so they could get the squeeze done.

Ultimately a shitty situation still , but the handling of it, is looking competent. Now whether the right decision was made will be determined with how these players perform, for the Blues and for us.

kevy9999

Mar 10, 2023
Kevy coming to check if the meltdown is over lol. Oilers will be fine and fill in areas we need as we go along and contender for cup this year and next. Nothing we lost that can't be replaced with better options That's what we have a GM for. All you cry babies will be on the band wagon again come next spring. Now the oilers should even have a bigger chip on their shoulder and us against the world mentality. Now move on people, look forward to the new year and the surprises it has. IT'S all about adjusting and moving forward. Oilers will be fine, can't say the sane for many on this board lol. Kevy will say goodbye now . Enjoy the rest of summer and go out there and be active . Chow for now 😁

Reactions: Valhallis

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I have a feeling Kane and some of the guys on our team will play the two of the very rough and tough this season.
Too bad we don’t see them much. But I’m pretty sure Broberg will have no problem getting trucked all on his own as usual.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
I, for one, am quite excited for the usual posters to update us the entire year on Bro and Holloway's every secondary assist and shape, size and frequency of bowel movements.

Much how we were exposed to with Kostin last year every time he'd score a goal in a 5-1 loss.

Last edited:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I, for one, am quite excited for the usual posters to update us the entire year on Bro and Holloway's every secondary assist and shape and frequency of bowel movements.

Much how we were exposed to with Kostin last year every time he'd score a goal in a 5-1 loss.

I'll add the "look at what Holloway is doing in St. Louis!!!" on about October 15th if say, Skinner starts slow and Holloway scores a goal or two.

Reactions: bellagiobob

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It's on Holland and Jackson. Maybe a little bit of Bowman in that he could have got a whiff of what was going on with Broberg and saw the danger. But still, a new GM coming in and trading someone like Broberg is awkward. It really would have had to have been Jackson.

I actually buy all of what Armstrong said there. This was not personal and he would have done it to us with Holland in charge too. He didn't do it before because the Blues weren't in the position they are in now. He might not have also had a team in the Oilers position before. We did a uniquely awful job of protecting ourselves against offer sheets and were counting on our RFAs to accept whatever we offered just for a chance at a cup
They never really had a chance to get a whiff. The players refused to talk contract until the offseason and, by that time, they've got Armstrong calling at the same time Jackson/Bowman is.

Trading them probably wasn't much of an option either. No team is going to trade for a guy that's holding out and waiting for an offer sheet.

There's not really anything they could have done better. It was simply two players that wanted to leave/get paid.

Reactions: bellagiobob

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
We have no cap space for an offer sheet. Other team will just match. We will get them back. Just have to wait 10 years.
I’m talking next year and beyond. Money will be coming off the books and the cap will be going up.

Let’s say a recent top 3-5 pick who’s on a rebuilding team, has put up a few good years playing on rebuilding teams with not much talent. He doesn’t want to be there anymore but doesn’t want to request a trade and wait around for them to oblige if they will. So he waits until July 1 and the Oilers come calling to entice him with a promise of playing with McDavid thinking they can get more out of the kid with good talent. They offer say a 6.78M by 2-3 years and structure it with a big QO so it take him to arb rights or within a year of free agency. The compensation is only a late 1st and 3rd but now you’ve got a young high end player that’s cost controlled for a few years and you still control the asset at the end of the deal.

The team likely has the money to match but do they want to overpay a disgruntled kid on a bridge deal that has a monster QO and takes him to arb right status or to within a year of ufa. Would they want to set that precedent?

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I'll add the "look at what Holloway is doing in St. Louis!!!" on about October 15th if say, Skinner starts slow and Holloway scores a goal or two.
Oiler offense remains strong, D is somewhat suspect and oh did you mention the goaltender? Haven't heard about him for a while from the gang here. Let's hope that this is the year when Stu finally emerges as a bonafide (unmistakable) #1 goalie. It should cut down on bandwith requirements for the site.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I’m talking next year and beyond. Money will be coming off the books and the cap will be going up.

Let’s say a recent top 3-5 pick who’s on a rebuilding team, has put up a few good years playing on rebuilding teams with not much talent. He doesn’t want to be there anymore but doesn’t want to request a trade and wait around for them to oblige if they will. So he waits until July 1 and the Oilers come calling to entice him with a promise of playing with McDavid thinking they can get more out of the kid with good talent. They offer say a 6.78M by 2-3 years and structure it with a big QO so it take him to arb rights or within a year of free agency. The compensation is only a late 1st and 3rd but now you’ve got a young high end player that’s cost controlled for a few years and you still control the asset at the end of the deal.

The team likely has the money to match but do they want to overpay a disgruntled kid on a bridge deal that has a monster QO and takes him to arb right status or to within a year of ufa. Would they want to set that precedent?

If a contender that is usually up against the cap think they can fit the player in then I'm pretty sure a rebuilding club that generally has cap space would keep him.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I wonder with the added cap space if Bowman put pressure on Armstrong and said if you don't add anything we will match Broberg? Nice move if that is the case, especially if they already knew they weren't going to match the Broberg offer.

Or could it be as simple as them needing roster spots so a simple hockey trade was done to do just that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad