Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Not at that price they won't. Young players keep the window open because they are usually cheaper options. But Broberg is being paid like a 28 year old vet on a UFA deal now. Great for him, but it doesn't allow the "cheap young option" for the Oilers. You let him walk for certain with that contract.
Broberg could play 2nd pairing as soon as next season even at that price it's not too bad. It's not always the 3 years ELC like Savoie.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
You think the players held out with 89 games played????

What is the rush for them signing?

Lets say the Oil offered Broberg and Holloway both 2x $1.5M contracts.

Why take them now? Why not just sign them in September? If you know there is ANY possibility of an offer sheet coming in, why take the deal?

Agents are out to make their players the most $$ possible. Isolating out the previous management that got them to this place cap wise, this is not on current management whatsoever.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Disappointed in both players signing those deals they would have been apart of a cup favourite team now they get to go to no playoff Hope's for the next five years.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
Respect it from STL side. The double offersheet strategy has been talked about for a while and Oilers were ripe for the picking

Not only that, but Oilers arent really in a position to revenge OS them in the next few years

This is what the Oilers org gets for waiting. Bowman is MIA

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Disagree. This is Jackson. He was an agent so GMs likely saw him as the opposition.
Holland would have garnered respect and may have been warned.

The new hockey world without respect only rules and contracts. Hurt other teams wherever possible.
Jackson isn't the GM

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
Disappointed in both players signing those deals they would have been apart of a cup favourite team now they get to go to no playoff Hope's for the next five years.
Who knows what the Oilers org was doing. They must have bene low balling Holloway big time for him to sign this OS for a pretty small amount

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Sign Broberg with the thought of trading him (or someone way more expensive) sometime. If st Louis thinks he is all that then listen. They are excellent at choosing D.

Holloway is gone.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
You think the Oil are the first team to be in that position?

Of course not but you honestly believe that Doug Armstrong said "I hate Stan Bowman so much I am going to offer sheet 2 of his young players"

Or perhaps there have been offers on the table for these 2 players which they haven't signed (as Friedman indicated) and their agents were waiting to see if an offer sheet materialized?

PositiveCashFlow

the construction could be better
Jul 10, 2007
I’d let Broberg go, play Stecher in his spot, and hope we can get a good one at the deadline. Again our second line wingers and our entire third line didn’t take less money just to watch it be given to Broberg

Reactions: McDoused

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
This has nothing to do with the Bowman situation other than the delay in getting a GM in place. Armstrong was looking for these sorts of deals.

Well it does if its a sign that players don’t want to play under Bowman. It probably is more money related though. But we won’t likely know. Broberg probably doesn’t mind a fresh start though.

I am not sure how much I blame JJ/Bowman for not signing these guys earlier though. Which UFA would of people sacrificed to sign them? Skinner, Henrique, Arvidsson?

In reality we probably needed to move Kane and/or Nurse. But that’s very difficult.

Oilers are in a bad spot here. Neither guy is really worth those deals.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
What is the rush for them signing?

Lets say the Oil offered Broberg and Holloway both 2x $1.5M contracts.

Why take them now? Why not just sign them in September? If you know there is ANY possibility of an offer sheet coming in, why take the deal?

Agents are out to make their players the most $$ possible. Isolating out the previous management that got them to this place cap wise, this is not on current management whatsoever.
Because they have both played less than 90 games. Both were in the AHL last year. And there have been how many offer sheets since it's implementation? Offer sheets aren't the norm and you want a gauranteed contract- thats why.

InTheBox

Feb 7, 2021
This is a failure by the team to sign both of them early knowing this might happen. I don't see how we fit either under the cap with those numbers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad