Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So we're blaming Nurse now? I thought it was bowmans fault. Man we really are a "passionate" fan base ready to blame just about anyone.
Well...one way to look at this is to consider how much Nurses $9.25M contract is hurting this team as time moves forward. Thats a lot of wasted cap space for a player as limited as Nurse.
Its not just Nurse though...other bad contracts (Campbell, and even Neal) have helped create this mess as well.

I mean if the team had the cap space its very likely both those players would have likely been signed well before they actually became RFA's. The teams hands were tied and they positioned themselves to lose both players because of it.

As for Bowman...he has nothing to do with this at all.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Well...one way to look at this is to consider how much Nurses $9.25M contract is hurting this team as time moves forward. Thats a lot of wasted cap space for a player as limited as Nurse.
Its not just Nurse though...other bad contracts (Campbell, and even Neal) have helped create this mess as well.

I mean if the team had the cap space its very likely both those players would have likely been signed well before they actually became RFA's. The teams hands were tied and they positioned themselves to lose both players because of it.

As for Bowman...he has nothing to do with this at all.

First off the Nurse contract sucks, we all agree on that. It's just frustrating when we consistently blame every single move on the Nurse contract.

The way I see it, the Nurse contract is almost irrelevant to the offer sheet. If the Oilers want to clear up cap space to keep both guys, they can. Both guys were given contracts they don't deserve.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Sure but we dont have our 1st or 2nd this year. I guess I am saying if you can move Ceci + 2026 1st + Blues 2nd +Blues 3rd + a wanner level prospect do it but hard to get full year retention before the season. We will have a lot more options at the deadline I would think.

Broberg is gone in my opinion signing him we lose our deadline flexibility since then we need to look at moving Kane when he comes back from LTIR and then like 3-5MM in cap at the deadline for a D upgrade. And if Kane is on LTIR prior to season we dont accrue cap is my understanding so we screw our deadline further.
Just visiting and reading but saw your post and wondering if Kane has a NMC

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
First off the Nurse contract sucks, we all agree on that. It's just frustrating when we consistently blame every single move on the Nurse contract.

The way I see it, the Nurse contract is almost irrelevant to the offer sheet. If the Oilers want to clear up cap space to keep both guys, they can. Both guys were given contracts they don't deserve.
They were given contracts they dont deserve for sure but there is no denying that the Nurse contract (along with Campbell and Neal and likely others I cant think of right now) played a big role in why this team is so tight against the cap.
The cap issue IMO is the primary reason why Broberg and Holloway were still hanging out there in mid August. The team still hadnt figured out a way to clear enough cap to sign these players.

This team by way of past bad decisions on contracts essentailly screwed themselves.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
They were given contracts they dont deserve for sure but there is no denying that the Nurse contract (along with Campbell and Neal and likely others I cant think of right now) played a big role in why this team is so tight against the cap.
The cap issue IMO is the primary reason why Broberg and Holloway were still hanging out there in mid August. The team still hadnt figured out a way to clear enough cap to sign these players.

This team by way of past bad decisions on contracts essentailly screwed themselves.
I would have locked up those young players before I gave that cash to Henrique and Perry etc .But that's just me.

Reactions: HockeyScotty

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023

It's time for Bowman to have a discussion with nurse and how his contract he inherited is hurting his team.

I would have locked up those young players before I gave that cash to Henrique and Perry etc .But that's just me.
Absolutely makes the Corey Perry signing more baffling.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Why is this site crashing every minute? Was a Leafs player signed to an offer sheet too?

I believe it's because of Darnell Nurse somehow.

Any negative news about the Oil sure does bring some "fans" out of the woodwork. Holy hell I'm reading some takes on here today.

Fans have just been waiting to hate on something since Bowman was hired.

Reactions: Macblender

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Perry for sure. I have no idea why they prioritized signing him over even one these 2 young players.
Doesnt make sense to me at all.

Just take Broberg for example. All the other bad contracts (Nurse, Campbell et al) aside...the team invests 5 years in this player and then decides that signing Perry (now a 4th line player who is well past his best before date) is a priority over him?

I wish I could make sense of that. That is a move poorly managed teams typically make.

Last edited:

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Just visiting and reading but saw your post and wondering if Kane has a NMC
He does hence like matching can royally screw our forward corps and undo a lot for two players that carry huge risk when you can’t trade them for a year and if they don’t live up we lose the flexibility to go all in further at deadline by a lot.

Also to your below Henrique is 5x the player Holloway is and Broberg while lots of potential can’t really compare since it’s a D but hasn’t show he is worth more than like 1.5 so fsr

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
It's time for Bowman to have a discussion with nurse and how his contract he inherited is hurting his team.
What's that going to accomplish? It's not like they can renegotiate it, and any kind of trade would be extremely costly and counter-productive to pull off. At best they can just commiserate together about how it makes their professional lives more difficult, though I wouldn't mind seeing how a discussion like that would go down

Bowman - "dude, that contract sucks, it's a real drag on my ability to make moves"
Nurse - "I know man, everyone is always complaining about it. I can't even order a coffee without the guy at the drive through window getting mad at me. It's kind of your fault though, you signed that stupid Seth Jones contract and I was just following the lead"
Bowman - "yeah, I know, I shouldn't have given him that contract. I never thought it would come back to bite me in the ass 5 years later on a different team though. It's not fair."

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
What's that going to accomplish? It's not like they can renegotiate it, and any kind of trade would be extremely costly and counter-productive to pull off. At best they can just commiserate together about how it makes their professional lives more difficult, though I wouldn't mind seeing how a discussion like that would go down

Bowman - "dude, that contract sucks, it's a real drag on my ability to make moves"
Nurse - "I know man, everyone is always complaining about it. I can't even order a coffee without the guy at the drive through window getting mad at me. It's kind of your fault though, you signed that stupid Seth Jones contract and I was just following the lead"
Bowman - "yeah, I know, I shouldn't have given him that contract. I never thought it would come back to bite me in the ass 5 years later on a different team though. It's not fair."
Dude I've been depressed all day. You just made my night HAHAHAH

Reactions: Tarus

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017

I’m pretty sure it’s more like:

“Talk to my agent about it.” Nurse probably.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Would he though? This team's management (previous management) has made a habit of asking young guys to take a hit to help the team out. Unless he ended up with 25 goals, I don't believe the precedence for a 3 - 5M contract is there.
If he put up 50 points 100% he is. McLeod got 2.1M with two sub 30 point seasons.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
All this complaining about Nurse is getting cumbersome and just straight up weird. It offers absolutely no solution and hijacks every thread.
I dont see evidence of the Nurse contract hijacking anything.
Its just acknowledging once again that his contract is part (along with other contracts) of an overarching problem with the current edition of this team.
I mean Nurses contract sure isnt part of the solution so IMO it should be in the conversation.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I will say if you're going to let one go it's Broberg, but if you do you better have a trade set up before you let him go that brings in a true top 4D who has term to replace Ceci and then you may need to still go out and get a good bottom pairing guy at the deadline if Stetcher isn't the answer.

If this team goes into the playoffs one more time with Cody Ceci as their top 4D I'm going to lose my mind.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Remember when Chia traded Eberle away and left loads of space because he was scared of a Drai offer sheet? And then he never actually used all the extra cap space he opened up?

Chia showing us all how smart he was.

If chia thinks that this is a good move for the blues, it immediately tells me that we should let both players walk.

If I had to guess

50% on Neigbours
100% on Dvorsky

Yes.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Its just acknowledging once again that his contract is part (along with other contracts) of an overarching problem with the current edition of this team.
I mean Nurses contract sure isnt part of the solution so IMO it should be in the conversation.

Think Nurse and his deal is definitely part of the D conversation. We are stuck with him, and we barely have any money to play with to create a top 4 D group that won't be a headache for Knob all year long, plus playoffs. Knob having to mix up the D again for game 1 of the finals, because apparently Kulak didn't want to be the Nurse babysitter, is a big reason we lost, honestly one of the biggest reasons IMO. It was also a pain for Knob all season and a part of why we didn't have home ice against the Canucks, which made that series far more painful than it needed to be. Nurse's pair being terrible caused headaches through almost every series. Dude was pushing for the minus record until a run of luck during the almost 0-3 comeback.

We have to fix the D, and the GM needs to very skillfully figure out how to find a proper compliment to Nurse. Giving Broberg the bit of money we have thanks to (hopefully) LTIR scamming we do with Kane likely ensures we do not actually fix the D. I don't think there is any way you can put the pressure of being NUrse's babysitter on Broberg for a full year. And Kulak apparently wants nothing to do with it. We are probably lined up right now for Ceci to be back with Nurse and Broberg playing 3rd pair for 4.5M if we match.

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022

We are tight against the cap because our core needs to get paid above others, soon. This is the motto now. This is why we are in this mess. 14 for Drai, 16 for McD. I agree they are worth it but not enough meat on the bone for others. Cap casualties, just like Clouder, we are much slower than we were yesterday.

Blues are taking a risk too but can't teach speed. Brutal for us, beneficial to them. Young players want ice time and too move up too, hopefully this is a lesson to McD and Drai. Not going to say anymore. No one is happy about it including myself.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Think Nurse and his deal is definitely part of the D conversation. We are stuck with him, and we barely have any money to play with to create a top 4 D group that won't be a headache for Knob all year long, plus playoffs. Knob having to mix up the D again for game 1 of the finals, because apparently Kulak didn't want to be the Nurse babysitter, is a big reason we lost, honestly one of the biggest reasons IMO. It was also a pain for Knob all season and a part of why we didn't have home ice against the Canucks which made that series far more painful than it needed to be.

We have to fix the D, and the GM needs to very skillfully figure out how to find a proper compliment to Nurse. Giving Broberg the bit of money we have thanks to the likely LTIR scamming we do with Kane likely ensures we do not actually do it.
I couldnt agree with you more.
The D is an issue and solving that with Nurse on the roster is not an easy task at all. They will have to figure out a way though and not having Broberg as a cheap option just made the problem that much worse.
Bowman is going to have to earn his keep right from the get go.
This team is not a finished product by any means.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
That horse is thoroughly beaten to oblivion. :deadhorse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad