Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Also becomes a choice between taking a little less money, playing a little less, having a less important role, maybe taking a one year deal but getting a ring at the end of it, so you can always call yourself a Stanley Cup champ, especially in the province where you're from. And then moving on if things don't appear to be working out for you. As opposed to kissing that away and joining a playoff fringe team with no real stars, playing some more, but possibly not ever tasting team success.
Worrying about being a cup champion is a luxury for guys who are fully established or have already made their money, not for guys who are hitting their mid-20s and facing being typecast as a low earning 4th liner for the rest of their very short careers. I bet Holloway is even more anxious about it considering he has struggled to stay healthy against NHL competition.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if promises of sustained opportunities have been handed out with the offersheets as well.

beardo

Jan 29, 2024
For sure. But like I can see why it would piss off other players too. They are hurting the Oilers by leaving or the Oilers signing that offer sheet. Like if the Oilers match and Broberg played like his analytics showed or plays like a bottom pair D, it’s going to be such a slap to the face to the entire team.
Especially to a guy like Brown who you can tell feels awful that he didn’t hold up his side of the deal last year.
Are you high on drugs? You’re working an entry level position at some large company, another company head hunts you and offers you at minimum double what you are currently making. Are you staying because you’re worried about what your coworkers are going to think? Come the f on bro. You’re gone. The new company wants you, they neeeeed you and that feels nice. On top of that they’re paying you bank, no brainer for a young person in this economy.

Reactions: Kolja

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Are you high on drugs? You’re working an entry level position at some large company, another company head hunts you and offers you at minimum double what you are currently making. Are you staying because you’re worried about what your coworkers are going to think? Come the f on bro. You’re gone. The new company wants you, they neeeeed you and that feels nice. On top of that they’re paying you bank, no brainer for a young person in this economy.
Shut the f up Holloway.
I’m not saying he shouldn’t have taken it. I’m saying I can see why the other guys would be upset.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I think the question we have is if we need to move Ceci anyways for a RD upgrade is the cap space more valuable from not signing them to win this year. Since our D is serviceable to easily make the playoffs as is with stecher in as 3RD.

I am almost leaning let both walk PTO two forwards (van riemsdyk or something and ondrej kase to compete for Holloways spot) so you aren’t just handing it to a rookie (savoie or jarventie).

You literally have so much at stake for team dynamic if you match Broberg. You have to move Ceci plus more so you cannot feasibly upgrade your RHD without moving larger cap off the roster which is what we want to avoid unless it is a clear upgrade. Issue with our deadline in this scenario is we have to move forwards to help the D so it is a take from one to help the other and we can’t just move stecher + since the salary isn’t enough

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think the question we have is if we need to move Ceci anyways for a RD upgrade is the cap space more valuable from not signing them to win this year. Since our D is serviceable to easily make the playoffs as is with stecher in as 3RD.

I am almost leaning let both walk PTO two forwards (van riemsdyk or something and ondrej kase to compete for Holloways spot) so you aren’t just handing it to a rookie (savoie or jarventie).

You literally have so much at stake for team dynamic if you match Broberg. You have to move Ceci plus more so you cannot feasibly upgrade your RHD without moving larger cap off the roster which is what we want to avoid unless it is a clear upgrade. Issue with our deadline in this scenario is we have to move forwards to help the D so it is a take from one to help the other and we can’t just move stecher + since the salary isn’t enough
I think they will try and see if they can land a top 4 d this week and if they can’t they keep Broberg and dump Ceci.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Sure but what does that have to do with Holloway and Broberg?

As I said before, established vets taking discounts is a much different thing than young guys coming off of ELC's doing so.
You don’t pitch them on taking less to win then give 7 mil to two unproven bottom six/pair players. You pitched them to take less to improve the roster. Giving Broberg and Holloway that money isn’t improving the team.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I dont know if this has been mentioned but Stauffer said, 3 times with emphasis, that Holland was instructed by upper leadership to get Holloway and Broberg signed while they were both in the minors (December/January) and it never got done.
Why would Broberg sign in January when he was unhappy in the minors and asked for a trade? What incentive did Broberg have to sign a new contract?

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I think they will try and see if they can land a top 4 d this week and if they can’t they keep Broberg and dump Ceci.
Sure but we dont have our 1st or 2nd this year. I guess I am saying if you can move Ceci + 2026 1st + Blues 2nd +Blues 3rd + a wanner level prospect do it but hard to get full year retention before the season. We will have a lot more options at the deadline I would think.

Broberg is gone in my opinion signing him we lose our deadline flexibility since then we need to look at moving Kane when he comes back from LTIR and then like 3-5MM in cap at the deadline for a D upgrade. And if Kane is on LTIR prior to season we dont accrue cap is my understanding so we screw our deadline further.

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010
With Kane going on LTIR, trade Ceci and match both offers.

It would be a hard pill to swallow if we lose any of these two considering their age, especially Broberg. Nurse is not good enough especially come playoff time and Ekholm is almost 35.

Bouchard, Broberg and Wanner are the 3 D-man this team should build around now and in the future.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Darnell Nurse contract just keeps giving

So we're blaming Nurse now? I thought it was bowmans fault. Man we really are a "passionate" fan base ready to blame just about anyone.

His first f***up is not signing his players to 200% their value before they get offersheeted?

This guy gets it.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So we're blaming Nurse now? I thought it was bowmans fault. Man we really are a "passionate" fan base ready to blame just about anyone.
Only persons fault is Doug Armstrong for thinking Broberg was worth this deal.

It would be a hard pill to swallow if we lose any of these two considering their age, especially Broberg. Nurse is not good enough especially come playoff time and Ekholm is almost 35.

Bouchard, Broberg and Wanner are the 3 D-man this team should build around now and in the future.
Broberg signing this deal makes it harder for Bouchards contract next year. So if we keep him he better be a top 4 d or better all year. And he hasn’t proven he can do that yet.

Macblender

May 5, 2014

If you do that which you could fit this you then dont accrue cap and a surgery for a sports hernia is apparently 6 ish weeks recovery they are saying a few months due to other issues.

What is your plan for for when he comes back? Move Kane and bring up the three players we had to bury so we can play a full roster?

If we want to add that D at the deadline if broberg doestn materialize and with your scenario we are playing Stecher and Broberg as 2nd and 3rd pair RD we have no money to upgrade our D without moving out a decent forward (Kane or someone of his equivalent salary is hypothetically moved out when he comes off LTIR). Are we really comfortable being a in a position we may lose Ceci/Kane/+ another forward at the deadline to have Stecher/Broberg be the RD and Holloway play 4th line?

Let alone discuss how this impacts the moves we need to make to retain Drai/Bouch as this was mainly their budgetted money I would guess.

Reactions: MessierII

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Deangelo is the only one worth anything but the optics would be horrible. Especially after hiring Bowman and already employing Kane, Perry and recently Virtanen.

Barrie, Schultz or Klingberg? 🤮
Barrie might have some hockey left in him. I didnt follow the Preds much at all last season but was he that bad?

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Oilers management didn't handle these players abnormally at all. RFAs that teams are squeezing go unsigned into training camp all the time on most teams across the NHL.

Offersheets are rare because the contracts are always stupid. Broberg is now being paid a middle pairing salary when in his draft year+5 he hasn't even proven he belongs in the NHL as a regular player.

You get it. Everyone does this, the only difference is that the blues actually acted on it. I'm kind of surprised they would go for two unproven guys instead of top end talents like Jarvis.

What is Stan's job? To like observe and report, to do spreadsheets.

It's clear these guys were needing deals, it's clear there are bodies that need to be moved out. Why does this f***er deserve the benefit of the doubt getting gifted a prime job he utterly doesn't deserve.

Get to f***ing work, this is his first of probably many f*** ups. Also where's the "basically" done Draisaitl contract? Get the f*** on it Stan.

Your hate for Bowman isn't making you think clearly. Normally you have really good takes.

Reactions: guymez

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Only persons fault is Doug Armstrong for thinking Broberg was worth this deal.

Broberg signing this deal makes it harder for Bouchards contract next year. So if we keep him he better be a top 4 d or better all year. And he hasn’t proven he can do that yet.

Let Broberg go to STL and let the fans get on him when he makes bad plays.

Too much juggling to try to keep him.

Hopefully lesson learned by management.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
You get it. Everyone does this, the only difference is that the blues actually acted on it. I'm kind of surprised they would go for two unproven guys instead of top end talents like Jarvis.
There are some extra layers to these offer sheets. The important thing is that it throws a wrench at Drai and Bouch extension.

I mean Doug Armstrong could very well bank on their upside and liked what these guys have shown (small sample) in the playoffs.

Reactions: McDoused

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad