Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JeffSkinner53

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
Pure speculation on my end- since Broberg asked to be traded earlier this season,maybe he told the oilers he wouldn't re-sign. Also maybe Holloway looked at the roster and figured he wasn't going to get much of a chance. I think we as fans let our bias cloud our judgement. It's a business and players don't have to be loyal.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Sad isn't it? Makes me very sad. You develop them and over ripen as KH would say then poof they are gone. We have existing cap limitations, imagine what it will be like when Drai goes from 8.5 to 14, McD from 12.5 to 16. If there are issues now, it's a problem should the Oilers go this route.

If we do not match Broberg you are losing out on a top 2 D or at least a top 4 D. Once he is proven, he will be worth every penny. But Oilers don't get a chance to test the waters further on him. As fans we don't get the chance to evaluate. Blues have already made up their minds. Hedman said point blank that Broberg will be his closest comparable. So it hurts even more. Those are Hedman's words not mine. If true can't give him up at 4.5. I dunno, still trying to process things. This is where I put an even further limit on the stars. Maybe the other players don't feel appreciated enough.

It makes sense, see Ryan's comments. You have plenty of trophies, there is no "I" in team. Think they are past that, to the next level, players have a role but there can be issues...we should see soon enough.
Its brutal and its all the more brutal because I sure didnt see this coming.
Obviosuly the team didnt either.

They essentially came to the conclusion that Perry was more important to the team than Holloway or Broberg.
Its baffling.

Reactions: stewy04

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The thing is...the team doesnt have an issue with their forwards.
They are very deep as it stands right now. Its the defence thats a problem.
Its now even harder to address that if they match Holloway.

I understand what you are saying though...its hard to walk away from that player.
Again though...why on earth would the team sign Perry ahead of Holloway?
While it does make it harder the difference of 1.3M cap space isn't enough to just throw away a good asset for a 3rd rounder. There's better D out there than Ceci at his money point, and even more so if you accumulate cap for the deadline. I think this team is set up to be a good enough regular season team that they could move out Ceci and elevate someone to the 2nd pair and outscore their problems in the regular season and address the issue at the deadline when it's easier to do so with double retention.

Reactions: VainGretzky

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019

They essentially came to the conclusion that Perry was more important to the team than Holloway or Broberg.
Its baffling.
I’m not convinced the team didn’t see it coming, I speculated earlier that I wonder if by July 1 they had some inkling this was gonna be tough. We knew Broberg wasn’t happy, we knew he didn’t have a lot of reason to trust the oilers, the only hope was the playoff run would change that. Perhaps it didn’t. As for Holloway, they signed a crap ton of forward depth, pushing him down the chart. Did they know something when they did that? Will be interesting if we hear more,.

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022

Its baffling.
I saw it coming. Take your focus off of Perry, look at Drai. What's most important to SB signing him to crazy $, not the others. Too much focus on the top end guys. Maybe we get Toews on a PTO to improve cheap, not sure about D.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
While it does make it harder the difference of 1.3M cap space isn't enough to just throw away a good asset for a 3rd rounder. There's better D out there than Ceci at his money point, and even more so if you accumulate cap for the deadline. I think this team is set up to be a good enough regular season team that they could move out Ceci and elevate someone to the 2nd pair and outscore their problems in the regular season and address the issue at the deadline when it's easier to do so with double retention.
See I dont think that Ceci is the player that hurts this defence. His cap hit is $3.25M and he plays to that level most nights.
If you move that out how much are you really saving and how much better are you going to be?
Cecis issues are compunded by Nurse IMO...Nurse makes every dman he plays with look worse.
Nurses contract really f**ks things up big time especially seeing as he is no better than a 2nd pairing dman (if that) but I guess the team has to eat that. This is the problem though...its exceedingly difficult if not impossible improving this defence with Nurse on the team.
The other options...
Kulak is a keeper especially considering his cap hit is $2.75M.
So the team is going to move Ceci and then try to sign a player for what $1.5 - $2M less who isnt a dropoff...just to sign a player in Holloway who is more than likely not going to deliver on his contract.
Thats a huge ask.

I saw it coming. Take your focus off of Perry, look at Drai. What's most important to SB signing him to crazy $, not the others. Too much focus on the top end guys. Maybe we get Toews on a PTO to improve cheap, not sure about D.
Drai isnt an issue until next season though. He doesnt factor into this season because you have multiple 1 year deals that go away after this season.
I think you worry about Drai in 2025.

I’m not convinced the team didn’t see it coming, I speculated earlier that I wonder if by July 1 they had some inkling this was gonna be tough. We knew Broberg wasn’t happy, we knew he didn’t have a lot of reason to trust the oilers, the only hope was the playoff run would change that. Perhaps it didn’t. As for Holloway, they signed a crap ton of forward depth, pushing him down the chart. Did they know something when they did that? Will be interesting if we hear more,.
Again...for me it comes down to the team prioritizing Perry over 2 young players.
That makes no sense to me at all.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Let them go. Find a Ceci replacement. Keep Janmark/Henrique/Brown together on that third line, replace Holloway's spot on the 4th with someone from the stable.

Seriously. Players on the team are taking pay cuts to win, and they just want the money. They've showed their priorities.

You're not wrong. With the additions of Skinner and Arvidsson to the top 6, Holloway can easily find himself on the 4th line this year.

Also, Holloway and Broberg combined for 50 games and 11 points during the regular season. I'm pretty sure we can replace their production without spending 6.9M

Reactions: AM and McBooya42

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
See I dont think that Ceci is the player that hurts this defence. His cap hit is $3.25M and he plays to that level most nights.
If you move that out how much are you really saving and how much better are you going to be?
Cecis issues are compunded by Nurse IMO...Nurse makes every dman he plays with look worse.
Nurses contract really f**ks things up big time especially seeing as he is no better than a 2nd pairing dman (if that) but I guess the team has to eat that. This is the problem though...its exceedingly difficult if not impossible improving this defence with Nurse on the team.
The other options...
Kulak is a keeper especially considering his cap hit is $2.75M.
So the team is going to move Ceci and then try to sign a player for what $1.5 - $2M less who isnt a dropoff...just to sign a player in Holloway who is more than likely not going to deliver on his contract.
Thats a huge ask.

Drai isnt an issue until next season though. He doesnt factor into this season because you have multiple 1 year deals that go away after this season.
I think you worry about Drai in 2025.

Again...for me it comes down to the team prioritizing Perry over 2 young players.
That makes no sense to me at all.
But you are looking at it like that was the trade off. We don’t know that. I’m suggesting it’s possible that by the time they were signing Perry they had a strong indication they were at risk of losing Broberg for sure. We just don’t know, if Broberg agent said we are looking hard at offer sheets and think we can get ine over $3mm the oilers would’ve known they were cooked.

Now if they didn’t even talk to the agent until after the Perry signing, you have a point. We just don’t know.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
What do you mean already cost them? Holloway's offer sheet is easy to match. Broberg's is the tricky one.
How is it easy to match a contract that's double the players worth in a capped system financially on a cup contender? Bolded is what the Oilers are and the Blues are not.

The easy answer is you don't because you can't do that.

St. Louis got players at discount prices because they overpaid for them on the marketplace in dollars.

Edmonton only gets 50% value on the players but they also gain the "theoretical cap space" that is what these two young experienced players are soon to be paid.

Move on, get more experienced players in trade between now and the deadline using the assets we have at hand.

How did it hit them in the feelz?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
But you are looking at it like that was the trade off. We don’t know that. I’m suggesting it’s possible that by the time they were signing Perry they had a strong indication they were at risk of losing Broberg for sure. We just don’t know, if Broberg agent said we are looking hard at offer sheets and think we can get ine over $3mm the oilers would’ve known they were cooked.

Now if they didn’t even talk to the agent until after the Perry signing, you have a point. We just don’t know.
My question is...why wouldnt they risk losing Perry before they risk losing either Broberg or Holloway?
When they signed Perry it not only ate up $1.15M in cap space but it sent a mesage to both players regarding how the team prioritizes them.
Did they really think that Perry (a 4th line winger at best) was so integral to the team that they couldnt wait until they settled on either Holloway or Broberg?
They signed a 40 year old Corry Perry on July 1st. They didnt even wait on him at all.
Instead they waited on 2 players who they had invested many years in developing.
The optics are very bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlbOilFAN

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
still a solid bet for them. they have plenty of cap space, and are gambling that Broberg will be a top 4 D, and the only cost was the a 2nd. they are gambling that Holloway will be at least a good 3rd line winger. I see both things happening, sucks for the Oil, good move by the Blues. I don't understand why more teams don't attempt these types of moves.

Im actually kind of surprised how well received this move is for st.louis. Fans/media are calling Armstrong a genius for signing spending 6.9M on two guys who got sent to the minors this year instead of going out and getting qn impact player. On top of it they have to give up assets.

The blues could have added Walker and Duclair or Dubrusk/Marchessault.

Reactions: stewy04

UpHere

Feelin' it
Jun 16, 2009
to everyone that thinks the oilers were blindsided by this, give your head a shake - it's been internet fodder for weeks about offer sheets - they're prepared for this outcome

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
Well...when you say work around the offer sheets...what does that look like for you?
Holloway’s offer sheet could be easily matched.

I can’t justify matching Broberg’s OS. Although, it would suck if he breaks out and reaches his potential with the Blues.

Reactions: McDoused

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
My question is...why wouldnt they risk losing Perry before they risk losing either Broberg or Holloway?
When they signed Perry it not only ate up $1.15M in cap space but it sent a mesage to both players regarding how the team prioritizes them.
Did they really think that Perry (a 4th line winger at best) was so integral to the team that they couldnt wait until they settled on either Holloway or Broberg?
They signed a 40 year old Corry Perry on July 1st. They didnt even wait on him at all.
Instead they waited on 2 players who they had invested many years in developing.
The optics are very bad.
I feel like we are missing each other. We dont know it was the trade off being made.

For the record I don’t like the Perry signing all that much, so I think we have that in common.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
I dont see evidence of the Nurse contract hijacking anything.
Its just acknowledging once again that his contract is part (along with other contracts) of an overarching problem with the current edition of this team.
I mean Nurses contract sure isnt part of the solution so IMO it should be in the conversation.

Yes we all understand it's a big cap hit. But there's nothing that can be done about that right now. We move on, let's look at some solutions to the teams current situation. For example, Hart Levine from PuckPedia on EST pointed out the different ways the LTIR can be used to fit the players under the cap.

An option would be to submit player on the LTIR with the roster. And whatever figure you are over the cap is the amount you can exceed. The amount you can be over the cap before submitting the roster with the injured player can't be over his cap hit; that's how I understood it.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Holloway’s offer sheet could be easily matched.

I can’t justify matching Broberg’s OS. Although, it would suck if he breaks out and reaches his potential with the Blues.
I dont think its that easy to match Holloways offer sheet.
Especially considering the cap situation and how deep this team is at forward.

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
to everyone that thinks the oilers were blindsided by this, give your head a shake - it's been internet fodder for weeks about offer sheets - they're prepared for this outcome
This maybe the reason Perry was signed. They knew Holloway was being sought after by the Blues.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I feel like we are missing each other. We dont know it was the trade off being made.
I think that the team had to prioritize things prior to July 1st. It had to look at all the players not under contract and decide which ones would be at the top of the list.
Its clear that they put Perry ahead of Holloway and Broberg. Now Holloway and Broberg were RFA's and Perry was a UFA so the situations were different.
That being said they knew exactly how much cap space they had and they decided to use up $1.15M on a 40 year old player who might not even be good enough to make the team.
What they needed to do was not sign him at all and save that extra space for one of Broberg or Holloway and then revisit a possible Perry contract later in the off season.
For the record I don’t like the Perry signing all that much, so I think we have that in common.
Yeah for sure.
I dont mind Perry as a player they sign after they take care of other players...assuming of course they have cap speace left over. I dont understand signing him July 1st.
he is a spare part though and there is no future at all for Perry.
He should have been the lowest priority possible.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yes we all understand it's a big cap hit. But there's nothing that can be done about that right now. We move on, let's look at some solutions to the teams current situation. For example, Hart Levine from PuckPedia on EST pointed out the different ways the LTIR can be used to fit the players under the cap.

An option would be to submit player on the LTIR with the roster. And whatever figure you are over the cap is the amount you can exceed. The amount you can be over the cap before submitting the roster with the injured player can't be over his cap hit; that's how I understood it.
I am not clear on the ins and outs of LTIR but your suggestion that Bowman needs to be creative is right on the mark.
Its your move Stan.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Dirty pool is legal. Now Kane has to go on LTIR. I think that's a given.

I said not moving Broberg and Holloway before they were offer sheeted was a mistake and it's true. These players along with other assets could have been used on their upgrades in trades. Not moving them early hurts substantially. Teams weren't looking to do the Oilers any favors before the offer sheets and they certainly won't be looking to help the Oilers after the offer sheets.

The Oilers have to maneuver the marketplace to find a better defenceman than Broberg and a better forward than Holloway and they will have to pay in futures to accomplish this. If you want the cup it's going to take a bunch of assets to get the exact players they need to accomplish this.

They cannot match either of these offer sheets and come out ahead.

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
Losing Broberg is the big thing here. Holloway is decent, but injury prone and very replaceable. But a cost controlled mid pairing D with upside is not easy to find.

If we match, the cost controll goes out the window. It just sucks no matter what we do with Broberg.

Well played Blues. Well played.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad