Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Or. F 'em. Broby isn't worth 4.6. Those are the facts. Hell, Holloway isn't worth 2.3 either right now. They had offers from us that made sense with our cap and our window, but they wanted more money. Ok, bye then. Take the savings, trade Ceci to find a better fit with Nurse. Move on.
Of course the other option is to take the picks and let them walk. I didn't need to do a mathematical breakdown for that though. What I was doing, was trying to be logical and show the options, without resorting to any sort of "F 'em" type thoughts.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
My only hope from this situation is that it’ll finally be the impetus for a Nurse trade.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
You only match if he plays his normal side. Don’t match for him to play the right side

He may play the right side for this season but I think Nurse is traded the season after this to make way for Bouchard so he can move to the left side then! :nod:

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I don't think we can keep Broberg. It just doesn't make sense.

Really shitty way for this to conclude.

Hats off the the Blues for f-ckn us. Well played.

I think we will keep Holloway... just because a 3rd for Holloway stinks.. and the contract isn't that bad. Still not great.

Giving up 2 pretty high 1st round picks for a 2nd and a 3rd is just... yikes. Especially on a team that needs cheap young players. Hard to overstate how bad this is.

Last edited:

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
I still can't wrap my head around Holloway thinking that this is a good thing for him.
Ya, I was surprised he signed the offer sheet. Seamed like he really loved the Oilers and the Team from interviews.

Broberg on the other hand I can understand not giving up that contract. And the trade request due to lack of playing time was a rocky past with still no guarantees of ice time this season. Although he did earn a shot with his playoff performance. Although he looked good at points and fell off the depth chart last training camp. A bit jackyl and Hyde as a prospect, but was still tracking in a decent direction to be a second pairing guy.

Holloway would have probably went similar to McLeod and signed for 1 ish million this year to get a better payday on the next contract.

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
Ya, I was surprised he signed the offer sheet. Seamed like he really loved the Oilers and the Team from interviews.

Broberg on the other hand I can understand not giving up that contract. And the trade request due to lack of playing time was a rocky past with still no guarantees of ice time this season. Although he did earn a shot with his playoff performance. Although he looked good at points and fell off the depth chart last training camp. A bit jackyl and Hyde as a prospect, but was still tracking in a decent direction to be a second pairing guy.

Holloway would have probably went similar to McLeod and signed for 1 ish million this year to get a better payday on the next contract.
Nah. Holloway just saw his top 6 minutes go up in smoke on Jul. 1. He's going to have another mediocre regular season playing bottom 6 minutes (if all goes well with Skinner and Arvi). It makes sense for him.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
These people like to preach loyalty. Look where that got McLeod. :laugh:
For real.
I remember having a debate with a few posters who were saying that they expect Holloway and Broberg to turn down lucrative offer sheets because they want to win a Cup. I was shocked that people actually believed this.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Why would they take less money, and MUCH less in Broberg's case?

For you guys blaming Jeff Jackson for this, I haven't yet seen a reason that makes sense.
The offer sheet was just made, season has been over for two months every other clubs got their RFA's signed for decent contracts

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The offer sheet was just made, season has been over for two months every other clubs got their RFA's signed for decent contracts
It's very likely that their agents caught wind of the offer sheet possibility way before they were signed. Just look at Armstrong's quote from a while back when he said he was open to it. There was no reason for Broberg and Holloway to shortchange themselves and rush to sign a cheap contract in July or early August.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad